• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I’ve been singing a song that some day is blasphemous

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone

I’d like to come here tonight to as for insight regarding forgiveness,for years now,as a Union army supporter (from the civil war era) I’ve sung “the battle of the hymn republic”,so intrigued to know the history of that song I came to utter shock to find that the writer,Julia ward Howe,a Unitarian,wrote it.And after some research I’ve discovered that Unitarianism is a false gospel and doctrine.

However,knowing now of this,I’m anxious that God won’t forgive me for singing a song written by a person following a false gospel.Can God forgive me if I confess and never sing this song again?

• Prayers
Reactions: Jeshu

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone

I’d like to come here tonight to as for insight regarding forgiveness,for years now,as a Union army supporter (from the civil war era) I’ve sung “the battle of the hymn republic”,so intrigued to know the history of that song I came to utter shock to find that the writer,Julia ward Howe,a Unitarian,wrote it.And after some research I’ve discovered that Unitarianism is a false gospel and doctrine.

However,knowing now of this,I’m anxious that God won’t forgive me for singing a song written by a person following a false gospel.Can God forgive me if I confess and never sing this song again?

My dear brother. The scripture says search out all things and hold on to what is right. This is what you have done. You found out you don't agree with this song. So you ditch it. So thank Jesus that He brought this to light.

Honest no reason to fear your salvation, rather celebrate God teaching you the truth.

A big thank You Jesus pleases Jesus much more than you being scared of Him.

Peace.

i share you a poem about my battle with fears as i often suffer from severe anxiety. i found faith in God's love casts out fear and brings relief to us in our fearful one.

Fear Holds Fast
Fear grabs hold with iron grip
the evil quick confusion sowing
birthing terrorising conditions
harvesting my faithless heart.

My doubt and unbelief peaking
hopes and dreams going up in flames
my goals a catastrophe unfolding
earthquakes shattering my defence.

Feel that loveless grip ramming
cruel enemies rejoicing victory
running through my broken gates
watching the raging fires burning.

A mess in my dwelling place
hair raising shadows casting
fears fuelling my insecurities
shamefully exposing weakness.

My Good life plundering
those torches of darkness
roasting me for dinner
serving the wicked feasting.

My God, My God i thirst!
i forsook your loving truth.
i held onto so many lies...
Can You please be my truth?

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone

You have to make that choice for yourself.

All I can say is I grew up in a community that demonstrated what life was like when seeing evil everywhere and in everything. It puts you into a kind of prison, and I decided early on that that kind of spirituality was not healthy and it was not for me.

As a result I ended up with a kind of an opposite perspective -- it's not that I don't think evil is in the world, it's that I see it in motives and intent, rather than things.

I'm not saying sin is not serious, but God may indeed not forgive you for invented sins, because they aren't sins to begin with. But follow your conscience, and whatever you need to combat the OCD. With your condition you don't need to be making your situation any worse for yourself.

Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I don't understand. Does this mean I'm not allowed to sing Total Eclipse of the Heart anymore...?
I kinda like Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through by Meatloaf, but these days I usually imagine it is God singing it to me.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Blaise N : The song doesn't express any Unitarian beliefs, so you're not affirming Unitarianism when singing it. It expresses that the Union army was an agent of God in violently crushing the terrible evil of slavery. If you're comfortable affirming that, then you can continue to sing the song without difficulty.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  1. Judge songs and other works of art on their own merits (or lack thereof), not by the specifics of the artist.
  2. As you walk with the Holy Spirit, He is going to convict you of sins that you didn't know you were doing up until that point. As long as you repent when so convicted, you need not worry about how many times you have done so in the past. That is a normal part of the Sanctification process.
    (Feel free to face-palm,...:doh:but that is all you get to do.)

• Agree
Upvote 0

newwaytobehuman

Sep 23, 2021
south west england
✟2,156.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone

Hi, as a fellow OCD/Scrupulosity survivor, I well understand the struggle you're in.

My view is you are not sinning because the song doesn't promote Unitarianism. Its the content of a song which is an issue, surely?

I have been through this particular struggle. I felt I had to eliminate every composer, songwriter, authour etc who was a "sinner" eg Freemason, Unitarian, Occultist (even if no mention of occult in their books), New Ager, even drug addict or adulterer.

I ended up very frustrated ! so limited were my entertainment choices and I felt life was a huge struggle. i have other mental health diagnoses alongside OCD and one of the treatments given for it used some techniques formed by new age and buddhists. i ended up avoiding this treatment that could have helped me so much....i felt i couldn't shop at certain shops if they supported homosexuality or abortion etc Life was such a struggle.

God provided me with people in my life who helped me see that Jesus came to set us free not to lock us into rules, we have His holy law , His commandments, no need to add anything extra. It has taken time, am not saying I don't still struggle, its taken years, but the intensity of the struggle is less.

it is so hard isn't it? the bible talks about "its sin if you don't do it in faith, but for those of us with this kind of OCD, its as if our consciences are on red alert all the time!

• Agree
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One might ignorantly think, say, or do something innocently, then realize it is not good in the sight of God; so they ask forgiveness and turn away from it --no problem. Our Creator-God is ever-ready to forgive sin or thoughts sinful, if one comes to see it and repents of it.
A true believer, will trust God to show mercy and care for us poor inborn sinners.

One needs to FIRST be sure they are a real Christian (of Christ): i.e having received God's "...beloved Son": Jesus -the Christ of God into their heart ---as John 3:16. Otherwise they do not know God, or have any part in God as sinful man: see John 14:6. Keep looking up and meditate on all the four Gospels!

Upvote 0

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone

Don't worry about it. U were ignorant of these facts while doing it. God knows your heart toward Him. Ask forgiveness and move on striving to do better.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smittymatt

Dec 5, 2021
West Palm Beach
✟27,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi everyone

You don't need forgiveness for singing that song. You obviously know the lyrics well and there is nothing blasphemous in them:

Mine eyes have seen the glory
Of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage
Where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning
Of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.

Chorus
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

I have seen Him in the watchfires
Of a hundred circling camps
They have builded Him an altar
In the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence
By the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.

Chorus

He has sounded forth the trumpet
That shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men
Before His judgement seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him;
Be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.

Chorus

In the beauty of the lilies
Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom
That transfigures you and me;
As He died to make men holy,
Let us die to make men free;
While God is marching on.

Chorus

The lady that wrote it is long and gone from this earth. And who's to say she's not saved? If her view of the Godhead was off, her eyes were enlightened in Heaven.

Upvote 0