Hypocritical to accept the Bible but not the Catholic Church?

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My assumption was that you were making it a broad "everyone" kind of statement, which would include me. You don't speak for WE. You are in the minority. There are far more Catholics than Protestants. Secular historians tend to accept the list.
That is what we have heard.....Here is what Daniel and Matthew have to say about that:

Daniel 12:4
But thou O Daniye'l, stop up the words! and seal the book! even to the time of the end:
many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.

Matt 7:13
Enter ye thru the cramped Gate. That broad the Gate and spacious the Way the one leading into the Destruction,
and many are the ones entering thru it.
14 That cramped the Gate and having been constricted the Way, the one leading into the Life
and few are the ones finding it.

images

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Open Heart said:
prodromos you are making that stuff up out of whole cloth.

In 1 Peter, Peter states he is writing from Babylon, which is a euphemism for Rome. We also have the writings of the early Bishops of Rome. My favorite is that of Clement I to the Corinthians.
How do you know it is not a euphemism for Jerusalem? There are even some that have viewed it as the RCC Vatican in Rome [which I disagree with]

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/why-jerusalem-is-mystically-called-sodom-and-egypt.7570002/
Why Jerusalem is Mystically Called Sodom and Egypt

In Rev 11:8 Jerusalem is called Sodom because it is where, when Jesus died and arose from the dead He completely wiped out sin as He did in Sodom when He completely destroyed it by fire and brimstone. Analysis of the ashen remains of Sodom, which was rediscovered by Wyatt Archeological Research, has shown that this comparison is accurate since they could not reignite the ashen remains that they recovered from the site of Gomorrah.
Jerusalem is mystically called Egypt because when Jesus died and arose from the dead in Jerusalem He released us from the captivity of death as He by His power alone released Israel, which symbolizes Christians, from captivity in Egypt.
Rev. 11:8 And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great City which mystically is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified.
Bro. James D Albright

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF
CHRISTIANITY:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Matt 7:13
Enter ye thru the cramped Gate. That broad the Gate and spacious the Way the one leading into the Destruction,
and many are the ones entering thru it.
14 That cramped the Gate and having been constricted the Way, the one leading into the Life
and few are the ones finding it.
Yes, but these words each have more than one meaning. You want them to be taken literally, but "destruction" is a word that also refers to any life-changing calamity (not necessarily extinction) and "life" is often used to mean "quality of" life/living.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, but these words each have more than one meaning.
You want them to be taken literally, but "destruction" is a word that also refers to any life-changing calamity (not necessarily extinction) and "life" is often used to mean "quality of" life/living.
Thank you.
That greek word appears to have different types of meaning according to the Lexicon, including "ruin":

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G684&t=KJV
Strong's Number G684 matches the Greek ἀπώλεια (apōleia), which occurs 20 times in 19 verses in the Greek concordance

Last time used in NT:

Rev 17:
8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: G684
11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition. G684

http://biblehub.com/greek/684.htm

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 684: ἀπώλεια

ἀπώλεια, ἀπωλείας, ἡ (from ἀπόλλυμι, which see);
1. actively, a destroying, utter destruction: as, of vessels, Romans 9:22; τοῦ μύρου, waste, Mark 14:4 (in Matthew 26:8 without a genitive) (in Polybius 6, 59, 5 consumption, opposed to τήρησις); the putting of a man to death, Acts 25:16 Rec.; by metonymy, a destructive thing or opinion: in plural 2 Peter 2:2 Rec.; but the correct reading ἀσελγείαις was long ago adopted here.

2. passively, a perishing, ruin, destruction;

a. in general: τό ἀργύριον σου σύν σοι εἴη εἰς ἀπώλειαν, let thy money perish with thee, Acts 8:20; βυρθίζειν τινα εἰς ὄλεθρον καί ἀπώλειαν, with the included idea of misery, 1 Timothy 6:9; αἱρέσεις ἀπωλείας destructive opinions, 2 Peter 2:1; ἐπάγειν ἑαυτοῖς ἀπώλειαν, ibid. cf. 2 Peter 2:3.

b. in particular, the destruction which consists in the loss of eternal life, eternal misery, perdition, the lot of those excluded from the kingdom of God: Revelation 17:8, 11, cf. Revelation 19:20; Philippians 3:19; 2 Peter 3:16; opposed to ἡ περιποίησις τῆς ψυχῆς, Hebrews 10:39; to ἡ ζωή, Matthew 7:13; to σωτηρία, Philippians 1:28. ὁ υἱός τῆς ἀπωλείας, a man doomed to eternal misery (a Hebraism, see υἱός, 2): 2 Thessalonians 2:3 (of Antichrist); John 17:12 (of Judas, the traitor); ἡμέρα κρίσεως καί ἀπωλείας τῶν ἀσεβῶν, 2 Peter 3:7. (In secular authors from Polybius as above (but see Aristotle, probl. 17, 3, 2, vol. ii., p. 916{a}, 26; 29, 14, 10 ibid. 952^b, 26; Nicom. eth. 4, 1 ibid. 1120{a}, 2, etc.); often in the Sept. and O. T. Apocrypha.)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That is what we have heard.....Here is what Daniel and Matthew have to say about that:
Hiya lamb. I get this, "broad is the way that leads to destruction" reply from a lot of people in response to my objection a lot. It doesn't apply and I'll explain why.

My objection has to do with basic comprehension, how you listen, or read, and understand. I'm not talking about those rare occasions where several possibilities can be argued. Basically, everyone speaking the same language will more or less arrive at the same basic understanding--this is why communication works. Of course intelligent people will be able understand more difficult passages and articulate more complex conclusions. People who arrive at significantly different conclusions suffer from some kind of language or thought disorder or mental deficiency.

The verse about "broad is the way that leads to destruction" is not about interpretation of texts, but about philosophical/religious views. It's a totally different animal.

Upvote 0