London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is hypnotising people OK? Are Christians prohibited from doing it? It is a technique or a power? What are the conditions in which it works and what not.

My reason for asking is that a guy in my church is a professional hypnotist. He has shared some amazing stories of recovered memories, switching off bad habits like cussing, a person in pain switching off the pain, a person with hay fever switching off their bodies aversion to pollen.

If it can be used for good is it good? Is their a good version and an evil version? Do film makers and advertisers and governments use it

Fellowship Of Christian Hypnotists – Christian Hypnotists

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Terms used are very important here. If he used the term "hypnotist" then stay away from him. If he is a licensed "hynotherapist" and a professing Christian, you'll be just fine imo.

Hypnosis has no power over you but temporarily removes the blocks your conscious mind has put up. Sometimes those blocks (an ability God gave) are for our protection; things too tough to handle at the time (such as trauma as a young child). Sometimes those blocks are not good for us ( blocking a memory and denying we have done something wrong that we did, for instance). If one is going after "unconscious" memories, then a therapist is required imo for safety. You might not be able to handle yet what you know inside, a trauma may bring back real life issues.

While we've all seen hypnotists have people on stage doing silly things, no licensed hypnotherapist will do that. Plus, those silly things are not anything those individuals would never do in real life consciousness. Those ideas wear off in a few minutes anyway.

You cannot be made to do something you would not normally do. YOU are really still in control, it's just that your conscious mind is not, your "un conscious mind" is. It's all still you. (Hypnosis is not brainwashing.)

EVERYONE has been hypnotized. Most while driving have experience "highway hypnosis" where you arrive at your destination and didn't realize the trip/roadway or even missed the exit!

When you're totally focussed upon something and are unaware of the surrounding conversations, radio, tv etc you are in essence "self hypnotized".

You can learn to do this, extreme meditation in one sense, on your own. I often use it for pain control. (Pain will not kill me, it's usefulness is only to warn of a problem, therefore I don't need to feel it all the time and I tell the brain/nerves through hypnosis to not "Feel" the pain.)

IMO learning self hypnosis will help deepen your relationship with God as you study His Word and present yourself before His throne in prayer. ;)

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hypnosis can be a helpful therapeutic tool practiced by a trained professional, but can be abused in the service of the occult. Many hypnotherapists practice past life regression and the subjects often find these alleged "retrieved memories" a convincing demonstration of reincarnation. The problem here is that the hypnotized subject often has an unconscious desire to please the hypnotherapist, thus creating the false memory illusion. I recall a study of group hypnosis in which several of the 500 subjects recalled a prior life (1) as Napoleon, a soldier at Jesus' cross, or some other famous person or (2) as a witness to the life of a famous person.

My one experience with deliberate self-hypnosis was significant in an unexpected way. I bought a book on self-hypnosis and then read the hypnotic narrative into a tape recorder. I then planted the suggestion that I would have an out-of-body experience. As I contemplated how I might shape such an experience, the thought of a romantic encounter became a temporary obsession. Upon further reflection, I recognized that romantic dreams are one thing, but OBE romantic adventures might be spiritually dangerous, and so, I ruled out that idea. I then played the tape, while lying in bed, and to my dismay, I found myself floating up by the ceiling, looking down on my sleeping body! At that point, I felt my desire for an edifying spiritual encounter, but could not shake the suggestion of a romantic encounter instead. As I resisted this suggestion, I felt fear and decided to return to my body. But as I draped my spirit body over my sleeping physical body, I couldn't make my "spirit fingers" merge with my physical fingers! This failure deepened my fear that I had in fact died! Fortunately, that fear woke me up.

I'll never repeat such an experiment, but I learned 2 important lessons in the process:
(1) First, what my self-hypnosis had actually achieved was a lucid dream of an out-of-body experience, not a genuine OBE. I am now suspicious of many claims to know the difference between lucid dreams and OBEs.

(2) Second, I learned that self-hypnosis, especially involving sleep, can be very much controlled by unwanted unconscious processes. In my case, it didn't matter that I had predetermined NOT to pursue a romantic OBE; rather, the fleeting fantasy of a romantic experience was dominant for unconscious reasons. This lack of self-control has convinced me that Christians should not consciously pursue OBEs in the interests of developing prophetic gifts.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Is hypnotising people OK? Are Christians prohibited from doing it? It is a technique or a power? What are the conditions in which it works and what not.

My reason for asking is that a guy in my church is a professional hypnotist. He has shared some amazing stories of recovered memories, switching off bad habits like cussing, a person in pain switching off the pain, a person with hay fever switching off their bodies aversion to pollen.

If it can be used for good is it good? Is their a good version and an evil version? Do film makers and advertisers and governments use it

Fellowship Of Christian Hypnotists – Christian Hypnotists
I have trouble taking hypnosis seriously.

Upvote 0