Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
rmwilliamsll said:
i like the term "shaping principles" i think i got it from _The Battle of Beginnings_.

even to get up in the morning as a scientist requires the exercise of faith that it is a good thing that i do today, to investigate and look at the world. If the universe or the item you are studying is in fact inhabited by evil spirits who will pursue and screw up your life for looking so closely at them, you could not do science.

The shaping principle, at every level of science, from looking through a microscope to high level theory of everything theorizing requires this ethical content, that what i do is a good thing. this justification of the endeavor as an ethical thing to do.

i don't think i'm conflating the philosophy with the science, but rather pointing out that the science does not exist in a vacuum, but rather is wrapped in the philosophy and that in turn is wrapped in an ethics, neither the philosophy nor ethics are part of the science, but the science can not do anything, nor can the scientist get up in the morning and pursue his calling, without both the philosophy and ethics in place.

I agree entirely with what you are saying. But that is not at all the same thing as saying that germ theory or relativity or atomic theory is based on anything other than evidence.

You are pointing to what underlies science as a whole, as a human enterprise, not to what undergirds any specific theory.

And the original staetment was "Scientific theories never take faith."

I agree that to work as a scientist, to have a scientific outlook, to believe that science is a worthwhile and truth-discovering activity---that takes faith. And in that sense all scientific theories take faith since we would not rely on them without the faith that shapes science as a whole.

But within that framework, the particular theories are built on evidence, not faith. Do you see what I mean?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Lady Kate said:
Of course, you would never admit to limitations.
Of course we would. We only see through a glass darkly now, and know little about the future or the far past. But at least we know something. If all we use is science we become mere assumers, with no hope of coming to a knowledge of what really will go on, or did.

I freely admit that much of science is based on logical and reasonable assumptions, which may very well be incorrect.
Good for you, no use denying it.

You make no such admission, but continue to assume.
I make the same admission you do, science is very limited and can't tell us the future, for example will be physical only, in decay as the present is.

What was that about "pitiful"?
The fact they forget to mention that telling kids our galaxy will slam into another one day or our sun will burn out. The fact that they forget it also when claiming the universe sailed out of a little hot soup, rather than the fact that the earth was here before the stars and galaxies, etc. Pitiful indeed, that the assumption mill grinds out creation replacing stories based on unproven, unsupportable claims the future will be just as the present, rather than the way the bible says it will be. It says this heavens is temporary and will pass away, and a new ones appear, that is eternal, and not perish, and decay away as this one is wont to do.

But must it be literal to be right?
Unless there is good reason to understand it is not in some small are. But I say Eden, and the flood, and the new heavens, etc must be true. There really must be a Noah, that was the only little group to survive the flood in all the world. If you mean some little thing like the man who slept on his watch, no, I don't think someone slept on a little timepiece.

Ah.... there's the root of it all. To "fabalize" the Bible, in your mind, would make it untrue. Every spiritual and moral lesson must also be physically so.... even if the laws of physics themselves need to be rewritten or discarded.
The laws of physics must be discared. The are laws of death. They are limitations of a temporary universe soon to forever be no more. They are like a little fishbowl compared to the seven seas. The laws in the fishbowl are well and good, but the future and far past was not in that bowl, and no science can say they were. -That physical only present fishbowl.

As long as you remember that the One is not you.
Sorry if you think God post on the forum. Hopefully, that is humour.

Nor do you... scientifically speaking.
But I don't have a science claim, I claim science is too limited, can you think of who has that claim of science?!

So talk about the Bible... nobody's stopping you. But the Bible isn't science. This is where that whole "Chess/Scrabble" metaphor comes into play.
SCience goes only as far as the methodology and testibility and evidence allows. That does not extend into the future, save by assumption. Whatever the bible is or is not, science is not able to declare a physical only past and future. Long as you play scrabble only in the fishbowl, no one cares! When you claim that your little game extends to eternity, and creation, that is not science.

Science, like chess, has rules. If you want to claim checkmate, play chess. Don't claim victory just because you find the rules too limiting. It's childish... like kicking over the board because you don't like your opponent's last move.
No, It is acknowledging that the opponent has no more possible moves left. You can't back up PO claims of the past and future, so it is not science that goes in any way there. You can claim science, and even that the bible, to your limited knowledge, at least, is not science, but you cannot go beyong the present, and last thousands of years. That is your limits. In there, you do have science, out of there, you are like a fish out of it's fishbowl.

So you explain shenren's boatload of megamiracles by imagining a world where miracles were commonplace. I don't see how this disproves his claims.
Not commonplace, but natural. It was no miracle for a tree to grow fast, that was nature then. It was no miracle for light to get here fast, it was a different universe, and light, it was natural. No miracle for matter not to decay, there was none, so to have decay would have been more an act of God. Now, our universe is PO, and that is what we have regarded as 'natural'.

And if we accept your definitions as truth, once you step beyond that, you are no longer in the realm of science.
When you try to step out of the fishbowl, you are not in the realm of science. That is where science ends, if you want to come out beyond that it is not with science.

Once again, neither can you. So if old ages is not science, then neither of us are speaking scientifically anymore.

Right, of course, no one on earth can evidence that the future will be PO, and not pass away, with a new heavens. That is why all who claim to do so are science falsely so called. In the limits of the present, they are bonifide, nowhere else. (Present being up to abpu 4400 years ago)

The difference is, that if we play this by your rules, I'm willing to accept the limitations of science... you're rewriting the rules to get some form of science, evn your own, to agree with you.

No. I am saying the evidence we do have is in agreement with a merged future, and past. That is not proof for me any more than for you. Science is shown to be limited. But I still know what the past and future hold or held to some extent, even though science cannot help us there. What that means, is that if all you have is science, you do not know.

(on a side note, why is it that only YECs think that multiple exclaimation points after a statement somehow make it more true? Don't they realize it's the internet equivalent of hysterics?)
It gets a reaction from old agers, so it must have some small effect!!

Odd... it looks more like a tie to me. And the last I checked, the game isn't over yet.
When I used to use flood geology, old agers always claimed victory, I thought it was closer to a tie. Now you clamor for a tie, and I know it is a resounding victory!

If by the "rule book" you mean the Bible, it should be noted that science doesn't use that book for its rules. Proving once again that you're not playing by science's rules.
If I were my limitations would have me in the dark about the far past and future as well!

I'm not claiming I won... you are. I would like to point out that the game isn't over until the Final Judge says it is.
He already said it, --in the bible! Science's game of trying to overrule creation, with imagination, and the new heavens with dark prophesies is almost over.

Perhaps you should wait for His decision before running your victory lap? Premature celebration can be most embarassing for men... so I've been told.
With new bodies that are not PO, we will be able to celebrate all night soon!

Furthermore, whatever game you're playing, you're not using the science rule book. It's easy to declare checkmate when you're the one who decides how the pieces should be allowed to move.
I don't decide, I simply note your limits. Then, I read about what God decided went on there!

I'm willing to admit that the game is not over yet, and even if we accept your version of the rules (which skews the game squarely in your favor), it's currently a draw.
That's funny. I'll try and allow a dignified defeat, however, and not gloat too much, like some old agers tended to do.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
random_guy said:
I always thought the 7 day origins came from the 7 visible objects in the sky, Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn.

That's where the names came from for sure. It could be both played a part. That there are seven celestial bodies (apart from the fixed stars) and approximately seven days from one moon phase to the next would have been numerologically significant to the ancients.

One of the things I noted way back when I was young and foolish enough to study astrology was that it uses what I call "rich symbols".

When we use symbols, we usually design them to have one recognizable meaning. A stop sign means "stop" and nothing else. A Nike swoosh means Nike and nothing else.

But the symbolism the ancients used in astrology, numerology and other occult and mystic arts had multiple meanings.

Mars means the planet and the god and red and blood and fire and spirit and war and danger and iron and the number 4 and the musical note F and trumpets and maleness and sexual desire and aggression and a ram (also sheep generally), the constellations Aries and Scorpio, the head, accidents, fevers, injuries, a desire to be first, and never taking time to shine your shoes. And that is just scratching the surface.

So it is probably meaningless to try and find a single reason for the 7-day week.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

dad said:
Of course we would. We only see through a glass darkly now, and know little about the future or the far past. But at least we know something. If all we use is science we become mere assumers, with no hope of coming to a knowledge of what really will go on, or did.

So... what's the difference? You're still assuming.

Good for you, no use denying it.

I make the same admission you do, science is very limited and can't tell us the future, for example will be physical only, in decay as the present is.

So to make your predictions, you don't rely on science. That's an important admission, and will spare a lot of trouble down the road.

The fact they forget to mention that telling kids our galaxy will slam into another one day or our sun will burn out. The fact that they forget it also when claiming the universe sailed out of a little hot soup, rather than the fact that the earth was here before the stars and galaxies, etc. Pitiful indeed, that the assumption mill grinds out creation replacing stories based on unproven, unsupportable claims the future will be just as the present, rather than the way the bible says it will be. It says this heavens is temporary and will pass away, and a new ones appear, that is eternal, and not perish, and decay away as this one is wont to do.

But why should the kids be taught our faith by anyone but us?

Unless there is good reason to understand it is not in some small are. But I say Eden, and the flood, and the new heavens, etc must be true. There really must be a Noah, that was the only little group to survive the flood in all the world. If you mean some little thing like the man who slept on his watch, no, I don't think someone slept on a little timepiece.

I'm not seeing the distinction here... why must Eden, the flood, and the new heavens, etc. be literal? Why must there have been a Noah?

The laws of physics must be discared. The are laws of death. They are limitations of a temporary universe soon to forever be no more. They are like a little fishbowl compared to the seven seas. The laws in the fishbowl are well and good, but the future and far past was not in that bowl, and no science can say they were. -That physical only present fishbowl.

Ok, as long as we've established that you're not working with the laws of physics here... the laws that God set into motion to run things, then we understand.

Sorry if you think God post on the forum. Hopefully, that is humour.

I was about to say the same thing.

But I don't have a science claim, I claim science is too limited, can you think of who has that claim of science?!

Good... it's good to get this out in the open. Your claims are not based on science. It's very important to get that clear.

SCience goes only as far as the methodology and testibility and evidence allows. That does not extend into the future, save by assumption. Whatever the bible is or is not, science is not able to declare a physical only past and future. Long as you play scrabble only in the fishbowl, no one cares! When you claim that your little game extends to eternity, and creation, that is not science.

So, what means, besides assumption, are you using to get out of the "fishbowl"?

No, It is acknowledging that the opponent has no more possible moves left.

based on nothing, I see.

You can't back up PO claims of the past and future, so it is not science that goes in any way there.

Actually, we can... all we have to do is wait and see.

You can claim science, and even that the bible, to your limited knowledge, at least, is not science, but you cannot go beyong the present, and last thousands of years. That is your limits. In there, you do have science, out of there, you are like a fish out of it's fishbowl.

This has got to be the most meaningless doubletalk I've ever had the misfortune to wade through... what do you have that gets you out of the "Fishbowl"?

Not commonplace, but natural. It was no miracle for a tree to grow fast, that was nature then. It was no miracle for light to get here fast, it was a different universe, and light, it was natural. No miracle for matter not to decay, there was none, so to have decay would have been more an act of God.

Commonplace... natural.... different word for the same thing.

Now, our universe is PO, and that is what we have regarded as 'natural'.

And your descriptions are still considered "miraculous." A teaspoon of megamiracles makes it all go down...

Again, exactly what shenren was talking about.

When you try to step out of the fishbowl, you are not in the realm of science. That is where science ends, if you want to come out beyond that it is not with science.

And outside the "fishbowl" we are left with your assumptions about the Bible, your assumptions about what is literal and what is not, your assumptions about what God has done with the universe... etc.

What makes your assumptions any better... or for that matter, and different... from the scientific assumptions you've chosen to discard?

Right, of course, no one on earth can evidence that the future will be PO, and not pass away, with a new heavens. That is why all who claim to do so are science falsely so called. In the limits of the present, they are bonifide, nowhere else. (Present being up to abpu 4400 years ago)

And what makes your assumption of 4400 years ago anything other than science falsely so called?

No. I am saying the evidence we do have is in agreement with a merged future, and past. That is not proof for me any more than for you. Science is shown to be limited. But I still know what the past and future hold or held to some extent, even though science cannot help us there. What that means, is that if all you have is science, you do not know.

Nor do you, but what you have is worse than ignorance... it is the illusion of knowledge. Science acknowledges its assumtions... you do not, but prefer to claim superiority.

It gets a reaction from old agers, so it must have some small effect!!

The court jester always has an effect... but not so much as the minister.

When I used to use flood geology, old agers always claimed victory, I thought it was closer to a tie. Now you clamor for a tie, and I know it is a resounding victory!

You used to use flood geology? This was, no doubt, back when you believed in science.

Of course, within the realm of science, you no doubt got trounced time after time... which explains why you abandoned it.

Of course now we have a tie... where there are no rules, there can be no winner nor loser.

If I were my limitations would have me in the dark about the far past and future as well!

And what has gotten you out of the dark except your own assumptions?

He already said it, --in the bible! Science's game of trying to overrule creation, with imagination, and the new heavens with dark prophesies is almost over.

Again, this is all based on your assumptions concerning the Bible, what it says and what it means... Science didn't agree with you, so you abandoned science.

With new bodies that are not PO, we will be able to celebrate all night soon!

If you turn out to be correct, very much so. But why "soon"? Made plans?

I don't decide, I simply note your limits. Then, I read about what God decided went on there!

And then you decided what God meant.

That's funny. I'll try and allow a dignified defeat, however, and not gloat too much, like some old agers tended to do.

Well, once you threw the rule book out the window, defeat became impossible.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually there are two more things I'm curious about.

1. Does anybody know of any estimations of the total global terrestrial biomass? It just struck me that since we more or less know the maximum annual biomass input (due to photosynthesis), and we can estimate the total amount of biomass on Noah's Ark, if we can establish a simple terrestrial biomass vs. time relation and plot the estimated biomass of Noah's Ark we could easily pinpoint the earliest possible date of a global flood (if it ever occurred).

It's as harebrained a scheme as any. So anybody want to help? :p

2. Deep-sea biotas. How on earth (quite literally, too) could hydrothermal vent biosystems survive hypercatastrophic plate tectonics the way AiG depicts them? So did they evolve entirely from scratch from denuded new landscapes in 4,000 years (note that this would entail abiogenesis, too), or were the deep-sea tectonic conditions the same pre-and-post Flood? (This would mean that AiG cannot use the "seas deepened to receive Floodwaters" argument, since that sort of change would have decimated the biosystems, and so they are faced once again with the problem of where all the water went, as well as where all the water came from.)

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Lady Kate said:
So... what's the difference? You're still assuming.
No, not at all. No need to assume the bible speaks of a new heavens and New Jerusalem, and the garden, etc. There is a plethora of material to draw on. We don't need to assume Jesus rose from the dead, and had a physical/spiritual eternal body. And so will we.

So to make your predictions, you don't rely on science. That's an important admission, and will spare a lot of trouble down the road.
Depends, if I want to predict a reaction in a test tube as things now work, or a prediction of when the sun will burn out. There is a difference. Don't try to lump the real and good science in with the dreams and fables.

But why should the kids be taught our faith by anyone but us?
Because some may live in a majority Christian country, and so, why not? Just as muslim stuff is taught in a majority Islamic country, etc.

I'm not seeing the distinction here... why must Eden, the flood, and the new heavens, etc. be literal? Why must there have been a Noah?
Jesus talked about him. He is a star of the bible. Even in the faith chapter, Hebrews 11.

Ok, as long as we've established that you're not working with the laws of physics here... the laws that God set into motion to run things, then we understand.
He set the laws of the physical only when that came to be. When that is you do not understand, because you simply assume it is the be all end all.

Good... it's good to get this out in the open. Your claims are not based on science. It's very important to get that clear.
As much as yours are, but that isn't saying much. Science is a present limited perspective.

So, what means, besides assumption, are you using to get out of the "fishbowl"?
Unless you wanted to get out, what does it matter. Long as you realize the limitation of science, don't worry about those who may exceed wildly those pitiful limits.

based on nothing, I see.
Based on the plain and comical sight of old agers unable to back up any claim of the future and past as physical only, leaving them in the little present fishbowl.

Actually, we can... all we have to do is wait and see.
That only covers the future, the past is gone. We will see the future in due course, meanwhile the prophets of old ageism teach children dark things that are baseless about it!

This has got to be the most meaningless doubletalk I've ever had the misfortune to wade through... what do you have that gets you out of the "Fishbowl"?
Something other than the thing that can take no one out of it, which is science. You are left with admitting you can't get out - of this physical only present based universe fishbowl.

And your descriptions are still considered "miraculous." A teaspoon of megamiracles makes it all go down...
They are only miraculous appearing from the fishbowl, where nature has it's little limits in there!

And outside the "fishbowl" we are left with your assumptions about the Bible, your assumptions about what is literal and what is not, your assumptions about what God has done with the universe... etc.
No. The bible is quite plain and clear on a lot of things. For example that a new heavens is coming. Do you believe that?

What makes your assumptions any better... or for that matter, and different... from the scientific assumptions you've chosen to discard?
Mine are not limited by only the physical, but include the spiritual. Which is what is different about the past and future they can never see from the PO bowl.

And what makes your assumption of 4400 years ago anything other than science falsely so called?
It is not baseless. It is not Godless. It has broad bible support.

Nor do you, but what you have is worse than ignorance... it is the illusion of knowledge. Science acknowledges its assumtions... you do not, but prefer to claim superiority.
Sour grapes. The bible is not an illusion. Claiming theis temporary universe is all there ever will be, so the sun will burn out is.

You used to use flood geology? This was, no doubt, back when you believed in science.
Not as much as I believe in it now. I don't feel threatened by it now, I see what is going on, and how it is severely limited and inapplicable to the past and future. I think it's cute now, in it's little place.

Of course, within the realm of science, you no doubt got trounced time after time... which explains why you abandoned it.
In a way, yes, I could not utterly defeat old age arguements on their own little territory. Now I can come in and out of the fishbowl at liberty, and am content to accept the wisdom of the fishbowl where and when it applies, and cam be proven, or evidenced to apply.

Of course now we have a tie... where there are no rules, there can be no winner nor loser.
There are rules. The rules of the physical, which is as far as you can come, and the rules of the spiritual, which apply beyond the limits of science.

And what has gotten you out of the dark except your own assumptions?
The light of the world.

If you turn out to be correct, very much so. But why "soon"? Made plans?
I always have plans. Once in a while a few work out.

And then you decided what God meant.
No, I just did not deny it.

The flesh profiteth nothing, but is death, and decay. The spirit quickeneth, and is life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.