slove910

Mar 23, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello fellow Christians,
I need some help! My husband has quite a temper. When he gets upset with me, he leaves the house. Not just for a few minutes, or to walk around, but for several hours. It upsets me like you wouldn't believe! The whole time I'm worried that something happened to him & worried if he'll come home.
Is this normal? Do all Christian husbands leave when they are upset with their wife? Should this upset me? Please help!

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
No, ALL Christian husbands don't do this. Everyone has their way of dealing with conflict and blowing off steam. Some husbands raise their voice, some back out of the conversation, some physically leave for a while, some calmly discuss it or agree to discuss it at a later time. Responses are going to be varied based on personality. But the thing that makes all the difference is - is the response a Christian (Christ-like) response or is it an unhealthy reaction.

My first response is to think, well at least he isnt abusing you! Some husbands (even those who claim to be Christian) do this! But leaving probably isnt the healthiest thing either because it does seem to show a 'I dont have to put up with this' mentality and thats not healthy. It's okay to not continue a conversation if there seems to be a standstill or 'stalemate' in the conflict and it's okay to take a break. But thats different from huffing and puffing and slamming the back door without any notice of 'I'll be back in a little bit, I need to think this out'. Only you can know which type of response your husband is doing.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't do that. I suppose for some men, leaving the house could be an escape valve to keep them from saying or doing something that they would regret. For other men, it may seem like the only option if they are mentally overloaded after or during an argument and their wife is worked up and won't be quiet. The most ethical means of escape from the situation is leaving until she cools down and can talk normally. I don't like walking out and I don't think it sends a good message to your spouse. I wouldn't want my wife leaving the house after an argument. I suppose it could make me feel nervous and worried, too.

Generally, this sort of thing happens when a couple is quarreling and the other partner is either saying things that are hurtful, incite anger, or is just yelling or talking in a disrespectful manner. IMO, this kind of talk isn't consistent with the way marriage is supposed to be. I don't see how a man yelling at his wife is generally in live with loving her and treating her with honor as the weaker vessel. Sure, there may be exceptions--like if she is going to get hit by a bus or something, or if you are in a really loud place and you have to yell to talk. Wives yelling at their husbands, scolding them, or speaking disrespectfully is not in line with scripture that tells wives to reverence/respect their husbands and other scripture about how wives are to relate to husbands.

If you find that your husband is the one who walks out, is there something about the way you talk that makes it unpleasant for him to be around? Is there any yelling, scolding, or emotional criticism that goes on and on? If he asks you to be quiet during this time, could you do that for him? If you feel like if you don't let your emotions out, you are going to explode, don't channel those emotions into behaviors that aren't appropriate for marital conversation. It is better to break down crying than to yell at your husband. That's an outlet for extreme emotions. If you can handle it, let him console you, instead of doing the 'don't touch me' thing. Of course, its best if you don't cry and you are calm and in control.

In an argument, not all emotions need to be expressed. Not all thoughts that come into your head need to come out. I did some work with troubled teens, and I'm not going to give specifics, but I know if a parent gives in to a kid crying and whining to get his way, he may end up acting weird when he gets older, throwing tantrums when he is just shy of being a grown man, crying hoping other people will give in to him. Normally, kids learn to regulate their emotions and not cry and whine loudly and don't take those behaviors into adulthood. If you feel like you must yell, scold, criticize, etc. to let the emotions out, that's not really true. If this is an issue, you can learn to control your emotions somewhat, and certain control your behavior. I've heard there is some research that shows that venting anger can cause anger to increase.

It isn't true that someone has to say all their feelings out loud during an argument to be emotionally healthy. And sometimes it is bad for the marriage to say the words you think. If the words are a fiery dart from the wicked one, do you want to help lodge those words in your spouse's heart? It's best to watch what we say when we disagree, especially if things get heated.

Now if you always speak calmly and respectfully to him, and he gets upset when he sees something not done the way he wants, and leaves, that is a different scenario. Maybe when everything is calm, you could explain your concerns for him when he leaves, and get him to agree to tell you before he leaves, "I'm going for a walk around the neighborhood to cool down, and I'll be back in a couple of hours" or something like that so you know what is going on. You could also ask him to take his cell phone.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Let's face it, couples quarrel. It's just a part of life. What we do when these quarrels happen is what really matters. Yeah, tempers sometimes flare, words are sometimes said. But I guess since I'm not in the situation I can only say 1) What LinkH said, are you 'out of control' when you guys have these er..um..discussions? and 2) Either way, if his stomping off is a habit, I still dont see it as healthy either.

It takes 2 people to make a conflict into a quarrel and 2 people to resolve it, but 1 to begin to resolve it. :)

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's face it, couples quarrel. It's just a part of life. What we do when these quarrels happen is what really matters. Yeah, tempers sometimes flare, words are sometimes said. But I guess since I'm not in the situation I can only say 1) What LinkH said, are you 'out of control' when you guys have these er..um..discussions? and 2) Either way, if his stomping off is a habit, I still dont see it as healthy either.

It takes 2 people to make a conflict into a quarrel and 2 people to resolve it, but 1 to begin to resolve it. :)

We are frail human beings and we make mistakes. I try not to raise my voice at my wife. Sometimes I'll say something, especially if there are noisy kids or appliances making background noise, and she'll point out I'm talking too loudly, so I'll apologize. Or if her tone of voice sounds bossy or angry or whatever, I'll point that out. This sort of thing can help diffuse a lot of quarreling. It also helps for the husband to remind himself of treating his wife with honor and loving his wife, and for the wife to remind herself of her need to respect her husband, and all those other things the Bible says which I can't post about, and not try to be his boss. Keeping that in mind during a disagreement can help a lot.

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have left a few times and just went on a drive. If the argument escalates I want to make sure it doesn't get violent. Sometimes I just need a while where I can hear His voice and get calmed down so I can come back and (usually) apologize. In the heat of the moment I get defensive so this can be a good strategy. I don't do this as much anymore as I've learned to catch it (and hear from God) before things escalate.

Is he coming back and talking about things or is he escaping, if he is more peaceful and willing to talk I'd say the walk-abouts are helpful. A good thing might be to spend the separation as a time to meditate and pray about him and your relationship and hear from God for yourself. You may get some insight into what the Lord would have you say and do when your husband gets back. Even if he is still hostile the Holy Spirit still knows the absolute best way to address him and you and the problem.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
because it does seem to show a 'I dont have to put up with this' mentality and thats not healthy.

Alternatively it could be "I know that I have a temper and I'm afraid I may not be able to control it so it's better if I'm not here".

I think the way to know which it is is to look at what happens when he does return. Does he want to talk about whatever caused the upset and resolve things or is it more of a let's pretend it never happened sort of thing?

Question for the OP, in addition to the one above. Was your husband ever in the military and if so was he ever in a combat situation?

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It depends on why hes leaving..if hes leavign to cool down on occassion then its a healhty thing..Im all for getting out of each others face if things start to escalate into a heated argument..in fact I've been advised by a professional to do just that(not me in particular but couples who tend to get in heated arguments frequently where the first sign of conflicts "sparks" or triggers a blow up this leavign retrains your mind and body to be able to have discussions converstaion without it going from 0-60 if you are in that habit)..

Thats one extreme though.The other possiblility(im not saying it IS but coudl be)..he KNOWS you dont like it when he leaves so if you start speaking or talking in a manner of about something HE doesnt want to discuss hes leaving to show you hes in "control' that you arent going to talk to him about certain things or in a certain manner or else you will "pay"..(pay because he knows you worry when he leaves)..as a way to get YOU to sort of keep things to your self because you dont want to "push him' to walk off...and punish you ..

It also depends how often he does this?It would have to be pretty darn bad to need to leave for several hours to "cool down" on any regular basis..By bad I mean you would need to be verbally attacking him as far as Im concerned out of the blue and frequently to in my mind make it reasonable that he woudl need to run off ..not tell you where hes going and be gone for hours..

Another thing you said 'when hes upset with you '?If he is doign this all the time and its HIM that has the orginal issue that STARTS any conflict that he then leaves unaccounted for for hours it could even be ON PURPOSE..I know someone who does exactly that...he will have something he wants to do that night..but he doesnt WANT to bring his GF...for other reasons no need to go into detail..So what he will do is wait untill its about time he wants to go..PICK a fight with her..leave in a huff..and then have the evening to go about with his plans and enjoy himself without her around..

As to do "Christian men" do this?Thats kind of like saying "do black people like to go on roller coaster rides"..

What hes doing has NOTHING to do with being a Christian or not beign a Christian..Every human being has the "fight or flight" response mechanism in their chemistry...Not only that each individual man or woman Crhistian or atheist or jew or muslim..has many facotrs in how they respond to or cope with conflict..What he is doing doesnt get attributed to Christian or not Christian behavior..its HIS behavior and it could be completely healthy or it coud be an effort to control you or it could be him being a drama king it could be several different reasons he does this..but you havent given enough information I dont think for anyone to guess why YOUR particular husband does this...

By the way Im a woman ..and I use the walk away cool down technique whenever necessarry so its also not a "man thing' either..My husband calls it 'running away " I call it completely sensible given our LONG history of argumetns escalating past the point that either one of us had full access over our abilities to rationalize..which is how our therapist years ago explained it..

Dallas

Last edited:
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello fellow Christians,
I need some help! My husband has quite a temper. When he gets upset with me, he leaves the house. Not just for a few minutes, or to walk around, but for several hours. It upsets me like you wouldn't believe! The whole time I'm worried that something happened to him & worried if he'll come home.
Is this normal? Do all Christian husbands leave when they are upset with their wife? Should this upset me? Please help!
What Dallas said pretty much. Also agreeing with her that him being a Christian isn't really relevant.

You said "he gets upset with [you]". Are you both fighting with each other, or is he specifically angry with you? What do y'all argue about? Does he seem to be getting out of control and that is why he leaves? Have you asked him why he leaves and where he goes? How often does it happen?

Sorry for all the questions. :) It's just hard to figure out much from the little that you posted.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate to this. I'm the one that burned rubber (hard to do on grass) but I've been married 53 years, do not argue at all - so when things gets heated, I take off for awhile and let things cool down. When I can come back and talk it out then I will return. It is just how people handle strife. I don't like arguing and always saying something that I will be sorry for - so I just go for a drive or something. Doesn't mean that I don't want to deal with it - just means that I don't like to hurt people's feelings and that is my way of handling it.

Try doing what my husband does - act like it doesn't bother you at all. My husband doesn't say a word one way or the other and later we can laugh at it, but I would not take it personal - it's just his way of dealing with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello fellow Christians,
ITA with Dallas....and that's a lot of great insight to use to determine more about what's actually going on.

I have more questions for you......(sorry). When he comes back....do things get resolved, since he's "cooled off"...or are the just swept under the rug for future arguments?

And....your reaction...is it fear of losing him (for good)..........or anger you are feeling when he leaves?

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Does he come back still angry, or does he come back calmed down, and able to resolve whatever conflict you had to start it off?

If the latter, then I wouldn't worry too much. I have been out 2 hours at a time before to calm down, because that's what it took. But yes, my wife said the same thing.

My advice would be some sort of agreeable parameters, where when he leaves, he tells you that he'll be back in a couple hours. At the very least he should be able to do that, whether he's angry or not.

I find myself in the position where sometimes the way I keep myself from yelling (especially in a case where my wife is pushing a hot button on me) is to just get out of the house.

If I stay there, or she does, it becomes very easy for one of us to blow a gasket, doesn't matter what part of the apartment each of us is in (and we have a decent sized, two-bedroom apartment).

I honestly think that's a good way to keep "Slow to speak, slow to anger," though.

Upvote 0

iLogos

Gal 5:16 So Walk In The Spirit!
Jan 24, 2012
✟1,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello fellow Christians,

This could be a good thing. I do the same thing but not for hours, tho I suppose it's possible I could. It's a cool off stage. The last thing we want to do si say things we will regret or let the situation escalate. He's prob not doing that to get you mad.

So how is he when he gets back, thing get any better after you both calm down I hope?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hot Ice

In Pursuit of Christ
Aug 6, 2009
✟7,623.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've done this when my wife shut down conversation, and turned it into an attack fest that was not going to end until blood was shed, and her way was won. I've done it when she would give no thinking space, and would follow me all over the property (bathroom included), to push and push, knowing I wouldn't hit her.

Upvote 0