Husband kept a secret for 35 years

Nicole T

Nov 6, 2014
✟16,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, please don't jump on me and tell me I am a fool. Leaving at 62 after 35 years is not easy. I am trying to be a good Christian, but I don't know how much the Lord expects of me.
This thread is about sex and deception
I have been married 35 years. We work well together, for the most part. Our sex life has almost always been boring and let's just say we are well below the average for frequency. When we were young, it was easy. You both want sex, you have sex, everyone is quickly satisfied. As we aged, I needed more - intimacy, a feeling that I was being loved, exploration into intimacy that was not simply the sex act. My husband would begrudgingly agree to the idea of something simple (for example, I once bought him silk underwear and asked him to wear them), but he would never do any of the things I requested. Foreplay was always predictable and was clearly just so he could get to the "main event". "Lovemaking" never existed.
My husband and I separated about 10 years ago for 2 years. He came to the Lord while we were separated and there was a real change. Leading to the separation, he dated. (I had no idea due to his work schedule) I suspect there was an affair, but I am not sure. The separation was with the under the agreement we would not see other people. He had affairs in this time. I found all this out after the fact. He was coming home and saying how much he loved me and how he did not understand what he had done to make me move out. (his behavior had become intolerable).
We reconciled, attended counseling, went to church together. Then he got transferred for what he thought would be an 18 month stint. It turned into 5 years. His work became increasingly stressful - you've no idea. Never since we reconciled has he initiated sex.
A side note - he repeatedly over the years had trouble with his personal hygiene and I would have a serious, medical reaction after sex. Apparently, he had trouble cleaning after using the bathroom and, he was all about getting to the sex act, I was never in the area to know there was a problem. When I confronted him, he said he did not know. At one point I insisted he shower before sex. He complied. Time went by. He stopped taking care of his hygiene again and I had such a reaction and was so hurt I told him I would not have sex with him again. We became sexless for about 2 years. He never asked for sex or tried to talk about having sex in that time. I finally needed something, and went to him. He did not say no, never has, but he never initiates.
Ok, so, my husband had prostate cancer at one point. He struggles to get and maintain an erection now, and he has never allowed me to "help" him. He has never been open to a new way of having intimacy. I, of course, at this point am 62 and have not had penetrative sex for about 6 years. Things are not working so well for me, either, but I have tried to introduce something other than PIV sex. No dice.
He had some type of personal breakdown the other day. He realized what family has told him, work colleagues have shown him - that he can be difficult and argumentative. It hit him like a ton of bricks. He keeps saying how he can't live with "all the things" he has done. He has been saying this for a while, actually. I've assumed it has been because he can't even tolerate his mother or the lies from the affairs or things he had to do at work.
It turns out, he confessed, that he has had a inappropriate content addiction and has been masturbating "obsessively" (in his words, due to stress) during our entire marriage. I had NO idea. There is no financial trail. He admits it has been to the exclusion of sex within out marriage. He masturbates in the middle of the night, in the shower, when he says he is going to the bathroom. I thought I was unattractive. I am not beautiful. I thought I was fat (I am not and have never been). I though I was not girly enough because I an engineer. I thought he thought I was too much like my family (several of my siblings are on the autism spectrum, I am not, I had myself tested as an adult). I have thought a thousand things about myself. I've struggled because he does not listen to me when I tell him my needs. I thought I was showing him the resentment that was building up, and so he was justified. It is all so warped.
I can not ever trust this man again. He has been a good provider and basically a good man, but this area of our lives is such a betrayal to me. I have to leave. We just relocated and bought our dream retirement house. Literally 6 months ago. I just can't take it anymore.

• Prayers
Reactions: YorkieGal

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would never presume to jump on you and I'm sure others won't either.

From my understanding of the Bible, you have grounds to divorce due to adultery.

If you don't want to go down this route and from an outsider seeing only a snapshot of your life as described above, I would say that you both suffer from communication and intimacy issues.

To assist, you'd have to agree with one another to forgive past transgressions and move forward but seperation might help you to actually address feelings and thoughts you might have buried as a result of going through the trauma as it unfolded. Once you've waded through things, you could maybe talk to each other less emotively and more rationally about expectations for the future etc.

I don't know how this will all end up for you but I'm sorry to hear what you've been through and that you're hurting at the minute.

I'm sure others will jump on to assist you.

Upvote 0

Nicole T

Nov 6, 2014
✟16,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would never presume to jump on you and I'm sure others won't either.

From my understanding of the Bible, you have grounds to divorce due to adultery.

If you don't want to go down this route and from an outsider seeing only a snapshot of your life as described above, I would say that you both suffer from communication and intimacy issues.

To assist, you'd have to agree with one another to forgive past transgressions and move forward but seperation might help you to actually address feelings and thoughts you might have buried as a result of going through the trauma as it unfolded. Once you've waded through things, you could maybe talk to each other less emotively and more rationally about expectations for the future etc.

I don't know how this will all end up for you but I'm sorry to hear what you've been through and that you're hurting at the minute.

I'm sure others will jump on to assist you.
Thank you for your kind response.

• Friendly
Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

Nicole T

Nov 6, 2014
✟16,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where is God in all of this? You can not have a union unless God is a part of it.
I'm not sure what you are looking for. That would be another thread entirely. I addressed what I felt was pertinent. I'm on a Christian forum. Both of us came to Christ later in life.

Upvote 0

Nicole T

Nov 6, 2014
✟16,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am looking for a testimony about what God is doing in your situation.
I am fortunate enough to have the counsel of some very Godly, measured and wise people. I'm sure you can imagine that I can not share such details with people who know my husband. I must respect his privacy and honestly, my shame is so intense that I do not want to. God is comforting me. I've a stack of verses that have been given to me by these people who, though they do not know the details, know our history and understand when I have told them that the betrayal I feel is complete. Each stack of verses involves a specific emotion I am dealing with: Hurt, fear, anger, fatigue, helplessness, betrayal. I've another group that is for later, after my emotions have settled: hope, strength, peace, courage, forgiveness.
Please understand that I have just learned this information. I have been married for 35 years. My husband has always been secretive - at times taciturn - and has always said this was either his nature or stress. His work has been very important to him - I would go so far as to say an idol and an escape. He has used it to cover up his secrets. When I look back, he shows the classic signs of being addicted to inappropriate material, but I never had a clue. I knew he would look at it occassionally, but daily? Multiple times a day? In his words, distracted from life, escaping reality. THAT is a betrayal.
And there are more secrets, but I had to stop the conversation because I was in shock. If you can not appreciate what I am dealing with, please don't bother replying again.
What is God doing in the situation? I've not the first clue. I am trying to breath. It has not been 48 hours. I've been lied to for 35 years. I've been told I am crazy. What I have not explained here is the level of manipulation and emotional abuse. He would tell me I did not love him. He would tell me how much he loved me, even when he was having sex with another woman or withholding sex because he was masturbating so much. He would say he did not understand why I was not "happy" when at the same time he was distant and unengaged. Shall I get into his parenting?? He never made one parenting decision. NOT ONE. Not discipline unless is was haphazard. Not schooling. Not health. Not religion. I was alone with a man child. He shared his thoughts with his secretary. I got nothing, and when I was not warm and loving he was accusatory. He would say I did not love him as much as he loved me. All a mind game.
Him confessing this is the first time he has ever just sat me down and told me something outright. It's always a mind game.
Let's give God a chance to work, and let's respect my very human reaction to what I am going through.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He has been a good provider and basically a good man, but this area of our lives is such a betrayal to me.
I would be very careful and try to avoid an emotional reaction to what has been revealed. Take some time and evaluate everything.

You said he has "been a good provider and a good man" , those are not statements or things to take lightly. We all make mistakes and when wronged we should live with an element of grace, especially to those nearest to us.

Seek the Lord about this, take some time in prayer. Probably spend time away from each other and once your emotions have centered again, evaluate this logically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
THAT is a betrayal.
Rabbi Manis talks about the "Joy of Initimacy" in his book. He actually did marriage counseling for many years. You feel betrayed because inappropriate content has robbed you of the intimacy that you could have had. So the result is without intimacy you can not become one, according to the Rabbi.
If you can not appreciate what I am dealing with, please don't bother replying again.
I know the pain. My first marriage only lasted around 3 years. Then I was a single parent for 12 years. It took me a long time to get over the pain. They say it takes two or three years but it was more like 5 years for me. Of course I had the anger because I had to be a mother and a father to our son. She still to this day blames me for everything that went wrong with him. Even though I devoted my life to raising him to the best of my ability.

If you do not mind being alone the single life can be pretty good. I use to attend some sort of Bible study almost every day of the week. Just for the opportunity to get out and talk to people. Then I want back into sales because I enjoyed that interaction with others.

It has been 40 years now and it does not look like we have worked out anything together. Although I do not think about her much. I only bring up the subject now because you want to know that I have experance the pain that you are dealing with.

We can not fix them, all we can do is forgive. We only hurt ourselves if we do not forgive them. So it is for our own benefit. They don't care. I have been around a lot of single parents, mostly women. They always want to know if it is the same for men as it is for women, and it is the same.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You feeling betrayed and deceived are understandable. You've been extremely patient and tolerate.

Read when there's content addiction that their real-life spouses can't measure up to their fantasies. That's one of the major problems with it.

Agree with Diamond7 on the statement that you can't fix him.

Know content addiction involves more than p o r n but might be a starting point if he's interested. There are Christian p o r n recovery organizations. Perhaps there are posts here on other threads with personal recommendations..

You"ve probably looked at yourself and examined many times this aspect of maritage. At least now you know and can stop spending time and energy in that direction.

Also, realize it can take awhile especically since you are in shock to forgive your husband. It will help you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums