✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I thoroughly agree.

I didn't mean to come across as saying that it's good to grovel or make a display of humility.

Rather, my point (hidden by my lack of words in the direction of actually making a point) was more along the idea that humbling ourselves would lead to just the attitude that you described - drawing no attention or focus to ourselves.

Are you grovelling? ^_^

(I agree with you, btw)

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, grovelling can be its own form of pride. Pride can be very sneaky like that. It can hide in false modesty, in self-recriminations, in constant reiterations of how one bes "nothing", etc. People begin to take pride in how humble they can act. That becomes a real danger zone. Sometimes the most humble thing a person can do would be to graciously thank someone else for a compliment. No muss, no fuss, no trying to blush and fawn and pretend you don't deserve it. Just smile, say "thank you, that's very kind of you to say" and let it go without trying to be a crass opportunist grabbing yet another opportunity to do the little martyr trip in the spotlight and show off how self-effacing and unassuming one can LOOK. :D

I agree.

On a side note...Moriah..what do you say you send me a copy of your avatar and I'll drop it into paint shop pro and turn that serpent into a snake skin scarf. ;):thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I find it interesting that the words humble, humus, and human all derive from the same concept: dirt.

Our humanity finds is truest expression in humbling ourselves to the humus.

When we lower ourselves, we find what it truly means to bear the image of God.
That is interesting.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, grovelling can be its own form of pride. Pride can be very sneaky like that. It can hide in false modesty, in self-recriminations, in constant reiterations of how one bes "nothing", etc. People begin to take pride in how humble they can act.
That becomes a real danger zone.

Sometimes the most humble thing a person can do would be to graciously thank someone else for a compliment. No muss, no fuss, no trying to blush and fawn and pretend you don't deserve it. Just smile, say "thank you, that's very kind of you to say" and let it go
well said! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
S

stuartb

Pride comes when all who you fellowship with are your equal.
You debate with them and win some and loose some, but ultimately you consider them your equal.
Those who know less about things are considered less than you. This could be less in knowledge of the world or less in knowledge of God. The disease of the pharisee.

When you dwell with God, you come to know that your knowledge is of nothing. When you dwell with God, there is no room for pride. God's knowledge is wonderful and we are but fools.

It is not knowledge, it is not wealth, it is not what we do that causes pride in ourselves or our abilities, it is when we compare ourselves to others.

If we dwell with God, we will become humble. If we separate ourselves from God, we become proud.

A humble person will serve and a humble person will take the lowly positions. A proud person expects to be honored and expects to be praised.

To gain humility is one of the greatest things to have. It gives you a power that is rarely seen today. It opens doors that a proud man cannot enter.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that pride is an attitude that is set against God and mankind, like the devil looking to over take God.
Or anyone who looks out only for themselves, and will step on anyone, or ignore people in need.

I think there is good pride and bad pride, just like there is good lust and bad lust.
Lust for your spouse is good.
Pride in a job well done is good.

I have spent a lot of time with God and He has taught me a lot.
And what I have learned makes me want to change my evil ways, and strive to live like Jesus, thinking of others as more important than myself.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pride comes when all who you fellowship with are your equal.
You debate with them and win some and loose some, but ultimately you consider them your equal.
Those who know less about things are considered less than you. This could be less in knowledge of the world or less in knowledge of God. The disease of the pharisee.

When you dwell with God, you come to know that your knowledge is of nothing. When you dwell with God, there is no room for pride. God's knowledge is wonderful and we are but fools.

It is not knowledge, it is not wealth, it is not what we do that causes pride in ourselves or our abilities, it is when we compare ourselves to others.

If we dwell with God, we will become humble. If we separate ourselves from God, we become proud.

A humble person will serve and a humble person will take the lowly positions. A proud person expects to be honored and expects to be praised.

To gain humility is one of the greatest things to have. It gives you a power that is rarely seen today. It opens doors that a proud man cannot enter.

This is a really good post. Comparing ourselves is such an easy thing to do and difficult to get past. Maybe that is what Jesus meant when he spoke of how difficult it was for a rich man to enter heaven...not because he was rich, but because it is that much more difficult for someone who is greatly successful, not to take pride in their wealth, fame and or achievement.

Could it be that this is why many Christians experience failure..that their trying to achieve spirituality through effort instead results in failure? Could it be that what believers need is not more self-discipline in their lives, but more humility?

I know that is the case in my own life.

I strived for years, not really knowing what it was that I was striving for.

The more I tried, the further away God became. Yet everytime I would repent from trying or failed, God was suddenly right there.

I used to get angry at God..."God why is it that when I try so hard to do your will it is like you are a million miles away and yet when I fail or when I give up in complete frustration you are suddenly right there?

"Where were you God when I was trying...when I was struggling, why did you abandon me in my persuit of holiness..how is it that You resist me when I try to live for you and yet embrace me when I fall???" "Why is it that you love the sinner and yet resist the one that is trying to live for you?"

"Why God?"

"Why do you embrace your unfaithful son and kill the fatted calf for him when he has wasted away his inheritence...and yet the faithful one...the one that has faithfully struggled to be your faithful son...you have not kissed, you have not embraced...you have not killed the fatted calf for him?"

Perhaps one of the major reasons that many prodigals do not come home is because their are elder brothers standing watch ready to judge them, to condemn them, to use the failure of their brothers to glorify their faithfulness to the Father... instead of doing the Father's will... and rejocing that their brother has come home...loving them, accepting them and embracing them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.