The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Bologna.

Don't put me in there with Homo.

I'll do what Moses did and refuse to be called the son of [Magilla Gorilla].

I'm afraid that you're still part of the same species. Where humans come from does not change the fact that you are one.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,924,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm afraid that you're still part of the same species. Where humans come from does not change the fact that you are one.
Nope --- I'm what's called a "new creature".

Upvote 0

KTatis

Mar 17, 2007
The Heavenly Abode
✟1,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AV1611VET said

yea yea I know theres a British and German atheist arguing against you and I should back you up as a fellow American and christian but I would really like to know what new creature are you talking about.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟250,465.00
Faith
Atheist
AV1611VET said

yea yea I know theres a British and German atheist arguing against you and I should back you up as a fellow American and christian but I would really like to know what new creature are you talking about.
I´m not sure if you are aware of AV´s habit of redefining terms to fit his needs.

Somehow, his "new creature" (isn´t it "new creation" in the KJV? To lazy to look it up.) includes "no longer belonging to the same biological species as other humans".

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Do you know what "Homo sapiens" means?
Is a "Starfish" a fish?

Like I said, professing yourselves to be wise (or sentient, or whatever you want to telephone it to), some became atheists.

Is this according to the Book of AV1611VET? 'Cause it certainly doesn't say that in The Bible.

Upvote 0

CoderHead

Knee Dragger
Aug 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟16,347.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would really like to know what new creature are you talking about.
It's a game of semantics AV plays in order to set himself apart from the heathens.

Somehow, his "new creature" (isn´t it "new creation" in the KJV? To lazy to look it up.) includes "no longer belonging to the same biological species as other humans".
Yes, even though a casual perusal of the Bible clearly shows this term as an allusion to a spiritual rebirth, and not a redefinition of your place in the animal kingdom. AV really cracks me up.

Is this according to the Book of AV1611VET? 'Cause it certainly doesn't say that in The Bible.
The Bible says what AV says it says. Stop arguing. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BananaSlug

Life is an experiment, experience it!
Aug 26, 2005
In a House
✟10,782.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, my argument is built on sand because you think we should be called Homo siccus?

No, your argument is built upon sand because you do not want to be classified as "Homo sapiens" yet you have not given an alternative scientific name for the human species. "Sapiens" was chosen by Linnaeus as a way to keep humans distinctive from the rest of the animal kingdom.

What scientific name would you give humans? I'm curious.

Like I said, professing yourselves to be wise (or sentient, or whatever you want to telephone it to), some became atheists.

Human classification has nothing to do with atheism. Do you think "Homo sapiens" has atheist undertones?

Wisdom-a deep understanding of people, things, events or situations, empowering the ability to choose or act to consistently produce the optimum results with a minimum of time and energy. Wisdom is the ability to optimally (effectively and efficiently) apply perceptions and knowledge and so produce the desired results. Wisdom is comprehension of what is true or right coupled with optimum judgment as to action.
In most ancient civilizations and cultures associated wisdom with virtue.

Are you going by the OT sense of "wisdom" or the NT sense? It would provide some clarification.

Why are atheists not wise? Is it because we are atheist? What is your definition of wisdom? To me it seems your argument is based solely on semantics, if it is, then it is built upon sand.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,924,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why are atheists not wise? Is it because we are atheist? What is your definition of wisdom? To me it seems your argument is based solely on semantics, if it is, then it is built upon sand.
Let's go over this again, BananaSlug.
Romans 1:22 said:
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Note the "professing themselves to be wise"?

That's exactly what tacking 'Homo sapiens' on to yourselves does.

It makes a profession that shouts: 'I am wise'.

In fact, it goes beyond that and say that, by virtue of birth into the human family, that automatically makes you wise.

Well, according to the Bible, that backfires on some, because they end up becoming atheists.

Why? Because who needs God, if wisdom comes automatically?

Wisdom, instead of coming from the fear of the LORD, becomes an inherited trait.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,924,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we all spoke Latin maybe.

In English homo sapiens = human. The vast majority of people who call themselves homo sapiens wouldn't even know what it means in Latin.
WOW --- I've never seen a King James Only agnostic before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BananaSlug

Life is an experiment, experience it!
Aug 26, 2005
In a House
✟10,782.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's go over this again, BananaSlug.Note the "professing themselves to be wise"?

I see "professing themselves to be wise (Greek: sophia)." Sophia, in this understanding, meant describing an aspect of God or the theological concept of the wisdom of God.

In other words, "professing themselves to know God, they became fools". Piling more sand around the base does not make the house stronger.

That's exactly what tacking 'Homo sapiens' on to yourselves does.

It makes a profession that shouts: 'I am wise'.

I am wise in regards I am able to take information and make decisions based on that information. I can observe that fire burns things, so I make the decision not to stick my hand in it. I can use my logic to deduce answers based on slight evidence. That is what "wise" means in terms of human classification.

In fact, it goes beyond that and say that, by virtue of birth into the human family, that automatically makes you wise.

Can any other animal formulate mathematical equations to explain gravity? Can any other organism use metals and polymers to build a computer? Can any other animals use combustion and other physical properties to build a car? By virtue of the fact we are humans, we are wise.

Well, according to the Bible, that backfires on some, because they end up becoming atheists.

According to the Bible, the fools were the ones who thought they knew God.
Why? Because who needs God, if wisdom comes automatically?

Do you need God to use math? Do you need God to think about abstract concepts such as thought or other philosophies? Do you need God to study construction or any other application that does not directly involve religion?

Wisdom, instead of coming from the fear of the LORD, becomes an inherited trait.

So you need fear of the Lord to know how to build a fire by using a bow drill? You need fear of the Lord to know how to make a spear? Do you need the fear of the Lord to figure out how to change your oil?

Built upon sand...:doh:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,924,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see "professing themselves to be wise (Greek: sophia)." Sophia, in this understanding, meant describing an aspect of God or the theological concept of the wisdom of God.
Good for Sophia, now how about wisdom?
In other words, "professing themselves to know God, they became fools". Piling more sand around the base does not make the house stronger.
Neither does invoking a Greek deity.
I am wise in regards I am able to take information and make decisions based on that information.
Big deal --- my dog can do that.
I can observe that fire burns things, so I make the decision not to stick my hand in it.
Oh, for crying out loud.

That makes you wise?

I'm sure any Homo could have done that --- not just Homo sapiens.
I can use my logic to deduce answers based on slight evidence. That is what "wise" means in terms of human classification.
Wow --- compared to animals we're wise.

So when God asked Solomon to ask Him for anything, and Solomon asked for 'wisdom', was it because he was tired of sticking his hand in the fire all the time?
Can any other animal formulate mathematical equations to explain gravity?
Well there went everyone prior to Galileo who thought different weights fell at different speeds.

No Homo sapiens in that crowd, eh?
Can any other organism use metals and polymers to build a computer?
So much for the pre-Babbage gaggle of idiots.
Can any other animals use combustion and other physical properties to build a car?
So Ford's "better idea" is 'wisdom'?
By virtue of the fact we are humans, we are wise.
Ya --- I said that too.

In fact, I said it before you did.
According to the Bible, the fools were the ones who thought they knew God.
No, according to Plato.

King James knew better.
Do you need God to use math? Do you need God to think about abstract concepts such as thought or other philosophies? Do you need God to study construction or any other application that does not directly involve religion?
Now you're confusing "wisdom" with "knowledge".
So you need fear of the Lord to know how to build a fire by using a bow drill? You need fear of the Lord to know how to make a spear? Do you need the fear of the Lord to figure out how to change your oil?
Again, you're confusing "wisdom" with "knowledge".

Just because Homo erectus couldn't change the oil in his car, doesn't mean he wasn't wise.
Built upon sand...:doh:
Greek sand maybe, not English sand.

Upvote 0

Archer93

Nov 20, 2007
✟17,101.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Whenever these threads get on to the topic of Homo Sapiens, I get reminded of an exchange from a Friends episode-

Joey
"Hey, if homo sapiens really were, y'know, homo sapiens, maybe that's why they died out?"

Ross
"Joey, homo sapiens are people."

Joey (with a 'hey, that's fine, no problem' gesture)
"Hey, I'm not judging!"

(from memory, words may not be precise)

AV, 'Sophia' isn't a goddess. Sophia means wisdom and has often been represented as a female figure, but was not worshiped.

Sophia (wisdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best term for the anthropological concept of Sophia might be the pre-Platonic understanding of daemon (as distinct from the modern idea of demon, which developed from Plato). For context, Thanatos (Death) is also a daemon.

Upvote 0