Oct 2, 2020
✟608,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those things were created much later. The evidence for agriculture includes stores of grains, agricultural tools and the like.
And how is their age of 11,700 years ago established?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, you did call modern science a cult. You directly said 'modern science cult'. How is that not you calling modern science a cult?

I bet you can't even show how it's a 'cult' at all.
Some people go on about science as though they're members of a cult.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you did call modern science a cult. You directly said 'modern science cult'. How is that not you calling modern science a cult?

I have explained how you are wrong about what I said but you refuse to listen.
Not my problem now.
I tried to help you understand.

Look up the definition of a cult.
It takes almost no effort to inject scientific ideas into any definition of a cult.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I have explained how you are wrong about what I said but you refuse to listen.
Not my problem now.
I tried to help you understand.

Look up the definition of a cult.
It takes almost no effort to inject scientific ideas into any definition of a cult.

Cambridge dictionary definition of cult:
a religious group, often living together, whose beliefs are considered extreme or strange by many people

Google dictionary definition:
1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.

Merriam-Webster definition:
1. a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious
2 .great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)

I bolded all the key points on those definitions.

I will grant you that some people do take science to be the be-all, end-all of the world and they do take it to very uncomfortable levels. But that does not mean that there is a modern science cult or a cult around modern science.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Cambridge dictionary definition of cult:
a religious group, often living together, whose beliefs are considered extreme or strange by many people

Google dictionary definition:
1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.

Merriam-Webster definition:
1. a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious
2 .great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)

I bolded all the key points on those definitions.

I will grant you that some people do take science to be the be-all, end-all of the world and they do take it to very uncomfortable levels. But that does not mean that there is a modern science cult or a cult around modern science.
And you missed all the other definitions that don't include religion.
Cult of personality, etc.

A cult based on modern science is not calling modern science a cult.
And in your last sentence you just called science a cult, just as much as I allegedly did.

When you google a definition why do you only emphasize the ones you like and not all of them?

cult
noun
ˈkəlt
often attributive
Synonyms of cult
: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious (see spurious sense 2)
also : its body of adherents
the voodoo cult
a satanic cult
a
: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)
criticizing how the media promotes the cult of celebrity
especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

b
: the object of such devotion
c
: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
the singer's cult of fans
The film has a cult following.
: a system of religious beliefs and ritual
the cult of Apollo
: formal religious veneration : worship
: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator
health cults

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
And you missed all the other definitions that don't include religion.
Cult of personality, etc.

A cult based on modern science is not calling modern science a cult.
And in your last sentence you just called science a cult, just as much as I allegedly did.

When you google a definition why do you only emphasize the ones you like and not all of them?

cult
noun
ˈkəlt
often attributive
Synonyms of cult
: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious (see spurious sense 2)
the voodoo cult
a satanic cult
a
: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (such as a film or book)
criticizing how the media promotes the cult of celebrity
especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

b
: the object of such devotion
c
: a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
the singer's cult of fans
The film has a cult following.
: a system of religious beliefs and ritual
the cult of Apollo
: formal religious veneration : worship
: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator
health cults

You're accusing me of doing the exact same thing, ignoring the definitions you don't like and focusing on the ones that you do.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will grant that. Does not mean that it is a cult, and again to call it a cult is against forum rules.
I'm sure science made into a cult is what was being conveyed.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure science made into a cult is what was being conveyed.

Which is something I imagine exists. But it is still against forum rules to refer to science as a cult. Which is what he was doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
You're accusing me of doing the exact same thing, ignoring the definitions you don't like and focusing on the ones that you do.
I never refused to admit your definition.
You did refuse to admit my definition.
Reread the posts.

I said selective breeding can be human or nature directed.
You refused any reasonable version of the nature directed alternative.

So no you appear to now be gaslighting me in a futile attempt to save face.
That is how I understand the situation.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I never refused to admit your definition.
You did refuse to admit my definition.
Reread the posts.

I said selective breeding can be human or nature directed.
You refused any reasonable version of the nature directed alternative.

So no you appear to now be gaslighting me in a futile attempt to save face.
That is how I understand the situation.

First off: you clearly have no idea what gaslighting is. Showing specific definitions of words is not gaslighting. God, but that's a buzzword I wish had never entered the English language.

Secondly, you said that microevolution/micro evolution is the same selective breeding. It is not because selective breeding specifically refers to specific thing: an element of animal husbandry. You did not show a nature directed alternative because there is no nature directed alternative to selective breeding because selective breeding is artificial. There are selection pressures, but that is not selective breeding.

Thirdly: you call modern science a cult! That is 100% clear as day for anyone to see, and it's against forum rules to do so. I was being polite by pointing it out because you're new to the forum.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
First off: you clearly have no idea what gaslighting is. Showing specific definitions of words is not gaslighting. God, but that's a buzzword I wish had never entered the English language.
Stating that I am doing what you are doing and say I have been doing it all along.
Kinda like a guy turning down the lights and saying that it was always that way to make a person doubt their own memory.

Secondly, you said that microevolution/micro evolution is the same selective breeding. It is not because selective breeding specifically refers to specific thing: an element of animal husbandry. You did not show a nature directed alternative because there is no nature directed alternative to selective breeding because selective breeding is artificial. There are selection pressures, but that is not selective breeding.
You believe what you want... you googled the definitions that match your ideas without putting it to someone who does animal care.
Thirdly: you call modern science a cult! That is 100% clear as day for anyone to see, and it's against forum rules to do so. I was being polite by pointing it out because you're new to the forum.
I have explained the difference and you refuse to recognize that I said something and your interpretation was not the same as mine.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Stating that I am doing what you are doing and say I have been doing it all along.
Kinda like a guy turning down the lights and saying that it was always that way to make a person doubt their own memory.

No, I didn't say 'all along'. I just said you did the same thing that you accused me of; focusing on the definitions that suit your desires and ignoring the ones that don't.

You believe what you want... you googled the definitions that match your ideas without putting it to someone who does animal care.

Except that I didn't because anyone with a basic knowledge of farming and animal husbandry knows what selective breeding means. I'd think someone who claims to be a farmer would know what selective breeding means.

I have explained the difference and you refuse to recognize that I said something and your interpretation was not the same as mine.

Except that you didn't explain the difference. You just said 'modern science cult', which is perfectly interchangeable with 'cult of modern science'. Since you did nothing to explain the difference, I have no reason to believe you're saying anything else but calling modern science a cult.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
No, I didn't say 'all along'. I just said you did the same thing that you accused me of; focusing on the definitions that suit your desires and ignoring the ones that don't.
My humblest apologies.
Still gaslighting.
I didn't do what you did.
Except that I didn't because anyone with a basic knowledge of farming and animal husbandry knows what selective breeding means. I'd think someone who claims to be a farmer would know what selective breeding means.
And ignore any other interpretation... not very open minded.
Selective breeding... is breeding with some selective mechanism in play.
The selective mechanism can be human or nature directed.
I am talking about basic English here.
Except that you didn't explain the difference. You just said 'modern science cult', which is perfectly interchangeable with 'cult of modern science'. Since you did nothing to explain the difference, I have no reason to believe you're saying anything else but calling modern science a cult.
Neither of those quoted version say that science is a cult.
You made that assumption.
Both "modern science cult" and "cult of modern science" would be equal to "Kevin Bacon cult" or "cult of Kevin Bacon".
That does not say that Kevin Bacon is a cult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
My humblest apologies.
Still gaslighting.
I didn't do what you did.

It's not gaslighting, it's pointing out a fact. And you obviously don't know what gaslighting means. Hint: saying that you very much did do something which is clear as day for anyone to see and you refusing to acknowledge that isn't gaslighting. It's called being a troll.

And ignore any other interpretation... not very open minded.
Selective breeding... is breeding with some selective mechanism in play.
The selective mechanism can be human or nature directed.
I am talking about basic English here.

There is no other interpretation for selective breeding. Selective breeding refers to a specific part of farming and animal husbandry. You're confusing selection pressure and selective breeding, which is not a readily understandable thing to be confused about, especially from someone who claims to be a farmer.

Neither of those quoted version say that science is a cult.
You made that assumption.
Both "modern science cult" and "cult of modern science" would be equal to "Kevin Bacon cult" or "cult of Kevin Bacon".
That does not say that Kevin Bacon is a cult.

So you were lying when you said there is such a thing as a 'modern science cult'? Good to know you retract your statement.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
It's not gaslighting, it's pointing out a fact.
Misrepresenting a fact.
There is no other interpretation for selective breeding. Selective breeding refers to a specific part of farming and animal husbandry. You're confusing selection pressure and selective breeding, which is not a readily understandable thing to be confused about, especially from someone who claims to be a farmer.
I just gave you another interpretation. So there is one.
So you were lying when you said there is such a thing as a 'modern science cult'? Good to know you retract your statement.
Never retracted a thing and I did not say what you just said... and you know it.
You are just trying to be witty.
My comments have nothing to do with my original posts but with your mischaracterization of what those post say.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,171.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Misrepresenting a fact.

Not in the slightest.

I just gave you another interpretation. So there is one.

There is no alternative interpretation of selective breeding. A selection pressure is not selective breeding.

Never retracted a thing and I did not say what you just said... and you know it.
You are just trying to be witty.
My comments have nothing to do with my original posts but with your mischaracterization of what those post say.

Now you're confusing yourself if you say your comments have nothing to do with your original posts.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

QV please:

Thomas M. Lessl argued that religious themes persist in what he terms scientism, the public rhetoric of science.

SOURCE

Paul says ...

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

This "worshiping and serving the creature" means worshiping and serving God's creation.

Modern science sews tares among the wheat, and is mostly manned by wolves in labs clothing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.