How would you describe a spirituallly mature person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

enoch son

lol! She is a riot, she tickles me I must say^_^

You are right though. We are trying to measure spiritual maturity with our own measuring stick and not God's..Comparing ourselves to another, at least I did I must admit. You are correct is all I can say. I think there are different levels of glory in God, but the truth is it still goes back to Christ and our righteousness and good works are as filthy rags compared to him...:amen:
As I grow in the understanding of how great the richer are that are giving to us at "NO COST" and that nothing needs to be done. (I do like to say's thanks Lord.) There a old saying to live by here THERE ARE NO HAVE TO'S IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD ONLY WANT TO'S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since the things of the Spirit are usually hidden from view to the natural eye, it is difficult to measure.

If you could see my root system you might know, but, it is hidden from your eyes.

What is left then?

Fruit is a good measure but fruit comes and goes in its season.

Catch me on a bad day you might think me the devil. On a good day a patron saint.

(I am neither)

So, if fruit is to be the measure you use than you are going to have to watch me season after season to know.

I watch people. I know folks who know scripture better than me. I know they sit in a more honored seat then me and have a larger following.

In some circles this passes for maturity.

Yet, I watch, and I see that they spend more time tearing down than they do building. Their own words and writing define their maturity (or lack of it)

It is like the difference between a lemon tree and an orange tree. They both have sweet flowers and bright fruit, but one of them is sour and in the end that is how they are seen.

Am I mature then?

Have you watched me through the seasons?

What does the fruit say?

In any event, wherever I am I need to mature more.

(as do we all)

To answer the OP then:

The mature believer knows God and sees himself in the light of His glory. (No other light will do)

John O.
good post!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Another thread for measuring ourselves. :sigh:

:wave:

I am not sure this is a bad thing, as long as it is our own lives we are measuring, and not anyone else's.

Speaking for myself, there are several people I know whose spirituality I very much admire. They have more patience, more quietness in the Lord, than I do. Their lives are much more calm, and they rest far more in God, and who he is.

By contrast, far too often I am like the proverbial duck; apparently floating along, but actually paddling like mad underneath the surface, so as not to go backwards in the strong currents of my life.

In such a situation, it is helpful to understand what it is that I lack, and ought to seek more of, and what it is that I can do without, and ought to seek to lose, with God's grace.

I am not sure any of that equates to any kind of judgementalism, in the negative sense. That only comes in if I think I have arrived, and others trail in my wake. I doubt if that is going to happen any time soon. :)

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:wave:

I am not sure this is a bad thing, as long as it is our own lives we are measuring, and not anyone else's.

Speaking for myself, there are several people I know whose spirituality I very much admire. They have more patience, more quietness in the Lord, than I do. Their lives are much more calm, and they rest far more in God, and who he is.

By contrast, far too often I am like the proverbial duck; apparently floating along, but actually paddling like mad underneath the surface, so as not to go backwards in the strong currents of my life.

In such a situation, it is helpful to understand what it is that I lack, and ought to seek more of, and what it is that I can do without, and ought to seek to lose, with God's grace.

I am not sure any of that equates to any kind of judgementalism, in the negative sense. That only comes in if I think I have arrived, and others trail in my wake. I doubt if that is going to happen any time soon. :)
Good post! I am just saying there is very much a danger of it. maybe everyone else is alot further along in this area than I am. All I know is I am leary of the whole concept because I know I have been guilty of doing just exactly what you described...it is a continual battle for me to take my focus off of other people and keep it on God.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Good post! I am just saying there is very much a danger of it. maybe everyone else is alot further along in this area than I am. All I know is I am leary of the whole concept because I know I have been guilty of doing just exactly what you described...it is a continual battle for me to take my focus off of other people and keep it on God.

I agree, t1. The temptation to criticise other people is sometimes far too strong. :o Mea culpa.

On the other hand, looking to others for a good example is fine. :wave:

Maybe the challenge could be to look at those we want to criticise, and keep looking until we see something to admire and emulate. Not easy, by any means.

Upvote 0

Josephus777

Servant of the Most High
Apr 10, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟8,199.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Do you have a mental critieria that you use?

Do you know what qualities a spiritually mature person would possess?

Interesting article on the subject.
Many Churchgoers, Pastors Struggle to Define Spiritual Maturity| Christianpost.com

The mark of Spiritual maturity to me is not only knowing the word. Because the Lord is a right now God and He always has a right now word. To be able to get a right now word from the Lord that we can apply to our lives and prosper by it takes alot of devotion and time spent in His presence that takes Sacrifice Alot of Christians like to give God a shopping list then expect Him to fill it instead of getting the mind of Christ on an issue and knowing He will answer our petitions when we pray according to His word. Alot of things we waste our time praying for. If it is in His word He will do it we need only remind Him Hey Lord you said... We as "MATURE" Christians need to inquire of the Lord hear His answer them do combat with the forces of hell that would stop it from coming to pass

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
This works for me:

John Wesley's definition of a spiritually mature person:

First: By doing no harm, by avoiding evil of every kind, especially that which is most generally practiced, such as:

The taking of the name of God in vain.

The profaning the day of the Lord, either by doing ordinary work therein or by buying or selling.

Drunkenness: buying or selling spirituous liquors, or drinking them, unless in cases of extreme necessity.

Slaveholding; buying or selling slaves.

Fighting, quarreling, brawling, brother going to law with brother; returning evil for evil, or railing for railing; the using many words in buying or selling.

The buying or selling goods that have not paid the duty.

The giving or taking things on usuryโ€”i.e., unlawful interest.

Uncharitable or unprofitable conversation; particularly speaking evil of magistrates or of ministers.

Doing to others as we would not they should do unto us.

Doing what we know is not for the glory of God, as:

The putting on of gold and costly apparel.

The taking such diversions as cannot be used in the name of the Lord Jesus.

The singing those songs, or reading those books, which do not tend to the knowledge or love of God.

Softness and needless self-indulgence.

Laying up treasure upon earth.

Borrowing without a probability of paying; or taking up goods without a probability of paying for them.

Secondly: By doing good; by being in every kind merciful after their power; as they have opportunity, doing good of every possible sort, and, as far as possible, to all men:

To their bodies, of the ability which God giveth, by giving food to the hungry, by clothing the naked, by visiting or helping them that are sick or in prison.

To their souls, by instructing, reproving, or exhorting all we have any intercourse with; trampling under foot that enthusiastic doctrine that "we are not to do good unless our hearts be free to it."

By doing good, especially to them that are of the household of faith or groaning so to be; employing them preferably to others; buying one of another, helping each other in business, and so much the more because the world will love its own and them only.

By all possible diligence and frugality, that the gospel be not blamed.

By running with patience the race which is set before them, denying themselves, and taking up their cross daily; submitting to bear the reproach of Christ, to be as the filth and offscouring of the world; and looking that men should say all manner of evil of them falsely, for the Lord's sake.

Thirdly: By attending upon all the ordinances of God; such are:

The public worship of God.

The ministry of the Word, either read or expounded.

The Supper of the Lord.

Family and private prayer.

Searching the Scriptures.

Fasting or abstinence.

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1658

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.