How will the Democrat majority of one work in the Senate?

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wonder what the precedent is for this? Will the Democrat senators always vote for their legislation or will just one or more (a different one for different reasons) decide to block their own party's bills sometimes?

Majority of zero actually.

I don't know the details, but his has happened before (early 2001, until Jeffords of Vermont switched to the Dems over [get this] the *size* of the Bush tax cut). There is apparently a "power sharing agreement" that will be voted on as a package of rules shortly. I believe each committee will be evenly divided, but the top Dem will be the chair. The GOP despite being the "minority" party will have more power to move legislation than normally afforded to the minority (i.e., slightly more than zero).

The content of bills will likely be shaped through a negotiation of Senators in the "middle" from both parties when the Rep caucus is generally opposed.

• Informative
Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder what the precedent is for this? Will the Democrat senators always vote for their legislation or will just one or more (a different one for different reasons) decide to block their own party's bills sometimes?

Will the Republican senators always vote for their legislation or will just one or more (a different one for different reasons) decide to block their own party's bills sometimes?

• Agree
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is actually more complicated than that. There are currently 50 senators that affiliate with the Republican party and 48 that affiliate with the Democratic party. There are two independents. So Senator Chuck Shumer being elected Senate Majority Leader was due to all of his Democrats, the two Independent Senators voting for him. That yielded a 50-50 tie and VP Kamala Harris broke the tie to elect Shumer. So on other issues, I do not think there will be as much party unity, maybe on both sides.

• Informative
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is actually more complicated than that. There are currently 50 senators that affiliate with the Republican party and 48 that affiliate with the Democratic party. There are two independents. So Senator Chuck Shumer being elected Senate Majority Leader was due to all of his Democrats, the two Independent Senators voting for him. That yielded a 50-50 tie and VP Kamala Harris broke the tie to elect Shumer. So on other issues, I do not think there will be as much party unity, maybe on both sides.
You expected Republicans to vote for Schumer for Majority Leader?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Basically Manchin is going to get a lot of bribes and/or threats.

Is the situation much different than last session when a couple of Republicans were heavily lobbied and threatened? As I recall, it took a man coming off his deathbed to oppose the majority on one piece of legislation.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The best case, read not going to happen, scenario in my eyes is that both parties meet in the middle and govern. As much as I would like to see the republicans suffer obstruction or being rolled over as a taste of their own medicine I value a functional government more than watching others pay a price for their stupidity even one they richly deserve to pay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I cannot claim to be that well informed about the internal working of U.S. government, but as far as I understood it, a lot of the "deadlock" in the last Senate happened because McConnell just didn't present certain bills for a vote. Bills that in some (many?) cases were even bipartisan in their origin and might well have passed if they had been voted on at all.

This kind of thing might not happen as much in the next two years... and I think that is a good prospect.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The 50-50 split has happened before, and fairly recently, in fact. Quite likely, the Democratic Senators will not break ranks while the Republicans stand to have one or more of the fair-weather Republican Senators such as Romney, Murkowski, and Collins join the Dems on the most important votes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums