How to vote when political parties don't represent your views

Jul 27, 2011
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How does a Christian vote when none of the political parties do a good job of representing ones views?

When I first became old enough to vote, I registered as a Republican, because they are pro-life, and believe that marriage is only between 1 man and 1 woman. They also seem (key word: seem) to be more family values oriented, and more willing to stand with Israel. But the Republican party also seems to care only about the well-being of wealthy Americans and big businesses (that contribute to their party members). Given the opportunity they would remove any legislation put in place to protect the poor and average American worker from being exploited by corporate America. I've watched them deteriorate over the last 4 years into a ridiculous, self centered, obnoxious, party of bold faced liars who have almost caused the govt to shut down multiple times without concern for how it would affect the average person. How can I support this group?

The Democrats on the other hand seem to be the party that has more compassion for the poor and middle classes, more willing to spend money to invest in the welfare of its people with social programs that many of us benefit from. But from a biblical standpoint, they seem so morally bankrupt on many issues, homosexuality and abortion just to name some.

I feel like no matter what party I vote for, it will lead to major problems for our country down the road.

How do people handle voting, when no candidate or party truly represents them? I'm actually considering not voting at all. What are your thoughts? :confused:

Last edited:

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, first you have to accept that people are never going to be perfect. Every leader will have something about them you don't like.

But, if it is at the point where you can't bring yourself to vote at all, I don't think withdrawing is the right reaction. Rather, it probably means you need to get more involved - to shape how the issues are handled.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's confusing for me also. I'm 20 and this year will be my first time voting. I come from a Democratic family, I have been staunchly Democrat in the past. The reason I will be voting Republican from now on is because I see how the Democrat's policies are corrupting the youth of my generation. We are getting to a point where sex is meaningless to people, it's basically a free for all. It's really disappointing to watch the youth of today becoming so jaded about life. People will use each other because they can.

The reason we did so well back in the 50's and 60's was because there was a stable family environment. I believe Democratic policies encourage the downfall of a stable traditional family. Mother's aren't in the home anymore (usually) and that contributes to a lot of issues. I know when my mother stopped working when I was 14, it was the best thing for my well being. It also seems like there is no effort put into marriages these days (I'm not talking everybody, just the majority).

So basically no matter how much I support helping the poor and taxing the rich, I can't belong to a party that is morally bankrupting our country.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2011
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The reason we did so well back in the 50's and 60's was because there was a stable family environment. I believe Democratic policies encourage the downfall of a stable traditional family. Mother's aren't in the home anymore (usually) and that contributes to a lot of issues. I know when my mother stopped working when I was 14, it was the best thing for my well being. It also seems like there is no effort put into marriages these days (I'm not talking everybody, just the majority).

So basically no matter how much I support helping the poor and taxing the rich, I can't belong to a party that is morally bankrupting our country.

I totally hear you on that. That's one of my big issues with Democrats. How their policies lead to the breakdown of the traditional family, and how the country tanks as a result. That's why I registered as a Republican. But I've had several years now to see what kinds of things can happen to our country when Republicans are in office, and even how they behave when they're not in office. One example. In general, I liked George W. Bush. But while he was in office the price of gas went up from (in my area) $1.35 ish to $4.25/gallon. This alone crippled the economy in so many ways, and hurts the average person. But at the same time, he banned partial birth abortion. I believe it's wrong to allow the rich and big corporations to rob the American people. Greed and unfair pricing are evil. But so is abortion. I just feel that if a Republican were to be elected president this election, the country would tank financially, people would lose their jobs, lose hope, etc, but if Obama stays president the country would continue to tank in the area of marriage and family. Either way, it seems like we're headed for bad.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I can totally relate to not having a party that agrees with me. Being (by and large) economically conservative but much less so socially, middle-of-the-road on foreign policy, and a strict constitutionalist, I have big agreements and disagreements with both major parties. I'm a member of the Libertarian Party, which I like on domestic policy, but I don't care for their radically non-interventionist foreign policy. So there is no party that really represents my views. I just go for who's closest, or for who seems like they will do the least harm. The LP is my "safe" protest vote when I really don't like either one.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe Jesus trained political activists. If we are casting our cares on Jesus. If we are walking by faith and not by sight; if we are living by faith we won't care what happens in the government. With that you can vote your conscience and then not be concerned about the election outcome. The Lord sets up and tears down leaders and we can influence events with prayer but this earth is under the dominion of Satan. Under these conditions, we can only do so much as Christians who are politically active.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Shifu

Dec 11, 2011
Australia
✟7,728.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you will ever find a political party that matches your views; rather you have to vote for the "lesser of two evils."

Since Obama supports abortion, that makes him the "greater" or two evils by definition.

If you're going to "protest vote" though, make sure it's for a party that's actually better than the two major ones. Voting for a fringe group which would run your country into the ground defeats the whole purpose. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No evils are lesser.

If you can't find a party to vote for in all conscience then start one. If you don't want to start one then don't vote. But don't put your cross beside something even remotely questionable.

Abstention is a statement too!

:)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't start a party without considerable cash. That is why both of the two major parties milk wealthy organizations for it.

Hello Rusty:wave:

I'm not from America, we don't have 'two major parties' here, but many. But are there not several parties in the USA, there's a constitution party or something. If y'all started supporting other parties they would grow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How does a Christian vote when none of the political parties do a good job of representing ones views?

When I first became old enough to vote, I registered as a Republican, because they are pro-life, and believe that marriage is only between 1 man and 1 woman. They also seem (key word: seem) to be more family values oriented, and more willing to stand with Israel. But the Republican party also seems to care only about the well-being of wealthy Americans and big businesses (that contribute to their party members). Given the opportunity they would remove any legislation put in place to protect the poor and average American worker from being exploited by corporate America. I've watched them deteriorate over the last 4 years into a ridiculous, self centered, obnoxious, party of bold faced liars who have almost caused the govt to shut down multiple times without concern for how it would affect the average person. How can I support this group?

The Democrats on the other hand seem to be the party that has more compassion for the poor and middle classes, more willing to spend money to invest in the welfare of its people with social programs that many of us benefit from. But from a biblical standpoint, they seem so morally bankrupt on many issues, homosexuality and abortion just to name some.

I feel like no matter what party I vote for, it will lead to major problems for our country down the road.

How do people handle voting, when no candidate or party truly represents them? I'm actually considering not voting at all. What are your thoughts? :confused:

No matter who you are and what your values are, there is hardly a state anymore that doesn't have a "third party" on the ballot that represents your views more closely than either of the big two. Join it and work for it and exert a leverage on the major party that is closest to it to shape up! In your particular situation, however, you are inconsistent in your political values, so it could be a challenge, but this is my advice for the average person who poses this kind of question. Thanks for asking.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No evils are lesser.

If you can't find a party to vote for in all conscience then start one. If you don't want to start one then don't vote. But don't put your cross beside something even remotely questionable.

Abstention is a statement too!

it is, but it is a dangerous one. Protest voting is one thing, at least it counts, completely abstaining from voting means that those who do vote have the say. Which is why in the US at least the parties have drifted so far to the extremes, so few people bother to vote in the primary so the more extreme candidates win, which turns off many people who then don't bother to vote in the general election.

Moral of the story, always vote, and if possible in the primary! :)

Upvote 0

a pilgrim

Not a fan, but a follower.
Jul 8, 2011
✟8,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just like many conservative Republicans voted for McCain. . .

hold_your_nose_and_vote_for_mccain_button-p145834137171425073z745k_400.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 27, 2011
✟15,492.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I used to always believe in the "vote for the lesser of two evils" choice. But I have to agree with lismore. There are no lesser evils. In God's eyes evil is evil. Abortion is just as evil as corruption, greed, financial oppression. I disagree with abortion, but I also disagree with almost causing the federal govt to shut down knowing that people's ability to pay their bills will be affected. The thing is, I think both parties are evil and corrupt in their own way, and don't really want to support either. But I also know that when people don't vote, the outcome is determined by those who do. Seems like major prayer is in order.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I used to always believe in the "vote for the lesser of two evils" choice. But I have to agree with lismore. There are no lesser evils. In God's eyes evil is evil. Abortion is just as evil as corruption, greed, financial oppression. I disagree with abortion, but I also disagree with almost causing the federal govt to shut down knowing that people's ability to pay their bills will be affected. The thing is, I think both parties are evil and corrupt in their own way, and don't really want to support either. But I also know that when people don't vote, the outcome is determined by those who do. Seems like major prayer is in order.

Great food for thought. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Both major US political parties, and all the minor political parties have agendas. And all political parties have corruption to a more or lesser degree, to support their agendas. Why is that? Because all political parties are run by people, fallible people who, even if they're Christian and saved, are not capable of implementing the perfect will of God. Jimmy Carter said he was a Christian and look at the mess he made. The same can be said of every American president who basically all said they were Christian. Whether they were or not, it's not for me to say. Therefore, looking at the likely candidates running for office, choosing the lesser of two evils makes sense. But before deciding who is the lesser of two evils, pray about it and be open to what the Lord tells you. Only the 2nd coming of Christ can give us a perfect King and perfect government. Lord come soon!

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Both major US political parties, and all the minor political parties have agendas. And all political parties have corruption to a more or lesser degree, to support their agendas. Why is that? Because all political parties are run by people, fallible people who, even if they're Christian and saved, are not capable of implementing the perfect will of God. Jimmy Carter said he was a Christian and look at the mess he made. The same can be said of every American president who basically all said they were Christian. Whether they were or not, it's not for me to say. Therefore, looking at the likely candidates running for office, choosing the lesser of two evils makes sense. But before deciding who is the lesser of two evils, pray about it and be open to what the Lord tells you. Only the 2nd coming of Christ can give us a perfect King and perfect government. Lord come soon!

Amen! - I agree completely - certainly including the prayer.

Upvote 0