United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

New member here. Just want to get some ideas on the best, most proper biblical way to spank a child.

1. What is the best implement to use? Hand, wooden spoon, etc.

2. Should it be done over clothing, underwear, or bare bottom?

3. How many strokes should be given? When should you stop? I know that the Bible doesn’t allow more that 40 strokes, but this is for adult criminals.

4. How do you deal with a child who hits, kicks, and screams bloody murder to try and get away?

5. Should a prayer be said before and after administering the spanking? If so, what are some good prayers for this?

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

New member here. Just want to get some ideas on the best, most proper biblical way to spank a child.

3. How many strokes should be given? When should you stop? I know that the Bible doesn’t allow more that 40 strokes, but this is for adult criminals.

4. How do you deal with a child who hits, kicks, and screams bloody murder to try and get away?

5. Should a prayer be said before and after administering the spanking? If so, what are some good prayers for this?
Practice on yourself and see which method you like best.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi there and welcome to CF and I am honored to make your acquaintance.
I am so happy to see someone who sees the value in raising a child with discipline. Bless you for this. Before you "correct" them, Take some breaths, Calm down and then explain that this only happens when we don't listen..
Not hard at all, But just a little sting, Granny used a switch, but a wooden spoon is fine and your hand is there handy all the time. :]

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

If you punish when angry or irritated or upset or _____ which isn't both calm and at peace, then most all of us will agree it's a serious mistake, because you'd be taking out your anger on your child.

Instead:

1) Example is more powerful than any punishments. They copy their parents and other main influences.

2) Set a consequence ahead of time. Not after the fact.

3) Use natural consequences. example: child ignores you and spills milk. Natural consequence: they have to clean it up to the best of their age ability, even if it takes minutes of effort. Remembering age limits. A 4 year old can only do so much.

Another natural consequence: confess to host you ate more cookies than they said each can have and apologize to child that did not get any, and give them something of yours to make up for it.

4) Use logical consequences: you can't stop interrupting, so after the 2nd warning, a third time will mean you have a time out in your room (for number of minutes equal to age in years).

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spanked mine for something I never wanted him to do . I went out for a few minutes and asked him to stay in the house until I got back. He went out , disappeared and left the front and inside door wide open. He got spanked because he put us in danger by his actions. I agree with the you-messed-it-up-you-clean-it. Though I would insist that they do a decent job . If they learn that it takes a lot of effort to clean up something, they’re less inclined to mess up

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

1. Depends on the age, start with hand and do it firmly and gently and explain why you did it
2. Diapers or clothing in most instances yes.
3. I recommend not spanking on impulse (though it can happen), instead pause, and do it with a calmed down mindset. It should hurt you emotionally as much as it hurts them. You should not really want to do it, but out of necessity. So two or three times at most and STOP. Again you talk to them and tell them not to do it again and remind what will happen if they persist with the same behavior.
4. You upgrade to a belt, and exercise the same principal of self-control, and be firm so they know the parent is in control and they are not. Parents who let the child walk over them like a doormat can just expect more of the same, and it only gets worse as the child grows older.
5. It's always good to pray, I've actually prayed to God I would not accidentally go too far in dealing with bad behavior. It's not easy, especially when a child persists as though you did not punish them, day in and day out, it can seem like they will never learn when things change so little or not at all. Always try to be patient and keep the communication going, eventually they should get the idea, it's rough though, I know all about it!

I should note, children are different, some require more discipline than others, some require little, but I think it is common (could be wrong) for them to try to push their boundaries and manipulate the punishment system.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi everyone,

I have a idea,

Dont spank them.

There are other effective ways to discipline, All a spanking does is tell the child how to be violent.

Yes I know the old tell of spare the rod spoil the child.

But is this not telling us to spare the rod? and to spoil the child?

Reverse it.

If you discipline your children in different ways they will still learn, and also learn how not to be violent.

Is this my opinion?

No, its a practiced proven fact. :groupray:

God bless you in your journey.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The bible says not to spare the rod, so if you want to hold to biblical truths, I guess a stick would do it..

Little children it's just a tap on the hand, I used two fingers and not a hard tap but a stern voice. And then within minutes once they calmed down I would hold them and love them up. Kids need lots of loving and learn the word no early on and you can probably use the rod so to speak sparingly, as in seldom required.. If you train your kids up well when still toddlers you may not have to spank them later on at all. That's the important ages, where no really means no. I see parents today put up with some whiny brat only because they created it and still put up with it. I see terrible parenting skills in for instance restaurants, the kids run the parents because the parents never took action and now the kid is 7 and still no action.. When they hit the teens years it will become unbearable and maybe uncontrollable and far too late.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a idea,

Dont spank them.

There are other effective ways to discipline, All a spanking does is tell the child how to be violent.

Yes I know the old tell of spare the rod spoil the child.

But is this not telling us to spare the rod? and to spoil the child?

Reverse it.

If you discipline your children in different ways they will still learn, and also learn how not to be violent.

Is this my opinion?

No, its a practiced proven fact. :groupray:

God bless you in your journey.

Proverbs 13:24
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Bear in mind that Biblically you're to abide by the laws of the land in which you live.

Where I live, physical discipline would be considered abuse if:

- it were administered with anything other than an open hand (no belts, wooden spoons, hair brushes, or fists)
- the child is hit more than six times
- the child is hit hard enough for it to leave marks, welts or bruises.

Those seem to me to be good healthy guidelines, as a starting point?

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course you don't want to abuse anyone. You spank enough just so that there is pain. Overdoing it is abuse and that happens when people spank out of anger. You calm down before you ever spank a child.

The whole idea behind spanking is that a person learns from a young age to associate wrongdoing with pain. In other words, wrongdoing has painful consequences is what you are teaching your child.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I don't know if you're asking for discipline advice or permission to apply corporal punishment?! Wow!

#1. Words of love.
#2. Always clothed.
#3. Seriously? Is this a child or criminal? :doh:
#4. Hold them snugly but not too tightly and calm him down with soothing words that are non-threatening.
#5. You should always pray before applying bodily harm to anyone, especially a child. Maybe pray with your child to let them know you see and hear them, even in their wrong-doings.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Proverbs 13:24
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

I'm sorry but the truth of experience rules over out dated practices.

is careful to discipline them.

Saying be carful, discipline them in a carful way and understanding.

There are other ways to discipline.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidFirth

Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry but the truth of experience rules over out dated practices.

Saying be carful, discipline them in a carful way and understanding.

There are other ways to discipline.

The message is clear to me. My son grew up to be a good man, too.

Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn’t make it clear. I almost never spanked my kids unless they did something deliberately dangerous. I didn’t even spank them for running into the street. id run after them and make them hold my hand . I do consider spanking to be abuse. I was spanked about once a week from before I can remember until I was 15 when I literally kicked my father across the room to stop the abuse.my younger sister was beaten until she turned 21. After that age it’s assault on an adult. I was a quiet kid who was a bit of a nerd. I estimated that I got a minimum of over 600 beatings . My father was a perfectionist and a sadistic bully on top of it. I’ve got PTSD and when I was a teen I tried to kill myself. Don’t spank your kids. It’s not discipline

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The message is clear to me. My son grew up to be a good man, too.

That's good, Im truly glade to hear it.

But the point is there are other ways to discipline children.

A lot of parents do not know how so they explode and truly hurt there children.

People should have some type of class to teach better ways to deal with punishment.

At least the ones who cant control there anger.

Upvote 0