Duncan
✟9,838.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is a bit late since many have already overspent and now have to pay for what they have done. So now you can have all of this year to think about it and make a decision to change your behaviour before you have to go through it all again next Christmas.

So how do you save money at Christmas? The answer is stop buying presents at Christmas. Instead, adopt a new tradition and give all, or a portion of, what you would have spent on presents and decorations, to an organization such as Lifewater, or any other ministry that saves lives, and then get money back from the government in the form of a tax deductible charitable credit to boot. Lifewater, specifically, takes your donation and uses it to drill wells in Africa and Haiti.

Here are 5 reasons why you should consider exchanging an old tradition for a new one;

It saves lives.

It is projected that over 100 million people will die from water related diseases by the year 2020 if we do nothing. Many of them are children. According to polls, the average family spends over $1000 on Christmas presents every year, with many not able to afford the expense. Let’s say that there are 1 million Christian families in Canada. If only 10% committed to donating half of what they spent on gifts, 50 million dollars would be raised each year in Canada alone to provide clean water to those who don’t have it. Lifewater drilling teams are ready and able to drill more wells to save lives, but the funds just aren’t there.

It reflects the true spirit of what giving is all about.

Giving gifts to people who already have all that they could possibly need or want while others are dying from the lack of the basic necessities of life does not foster the spirit of Christ at a time when we are celebrating His coming as our Saviour. Nowhere in Scripture are we taught that because we have been given the gift of God’s Son are we to give each other gifts at Christmas. This is an evolved human tradition that sprang from Paganism. Since God the Father has given us spiritual life through the giving of His Son, a more apt way to observe this time of year would be to also give life. We are commanded throughout the Bible to give to the poor. Mark 7:8 could apply to this situation as Jesus said, “You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.”

It counters the spirit of materialism.

Materialism (the love of acquiring more material goods for oneself) is rampant in our society. Unneeded material goods wrapped in colorful paper stacked under a decorated tree is the epitome of our embracing of that spirit. The celebration of a Saviour coming into the world should not be compromised by the observance of a competing thought involving materialism. Neither does stuffing our faces with food and drink while others go hungry reflect the spirit of Christ. Remember that although He is the King of the universe, He came to us in the humblest of circumstances. That, however, is another discussion.

It reduces stress and worry.

You no longer will have to worry about what “made in China” gadget you have to find for that person who already has all that they need. No more stress over trying to find the perfect parking spot at the mall while you think about walking about the congested stores. You can now focus on what God has done for you with a mind of peace and joy, and reflect on the saved lives that clean water will bring about.

As already mentioned above, it will save you money

It will also help keep the hand of government out of your pocket. Remember that everything that you buy is subject to a government tax. So if you buy gifts, then the government will be on your gift list as well.

This may all sound like I am hating on Christmas, but in reality I am only hating on the tradition of gift giving that has crept in to dilute and rob the preeminence of Christ’s incarnation. My wife and I have been observing this new tradition for about 20 years and have experienced more peace and joy at Christmas than when we exchanged presents.

This Christmas would you also consider giving life, instead of presents?

If you see the merit in what has been presented, please tell others. Perhaps a movement within the church at large will begin with something as simple as choosing to think differently on how we honor Jesus Christ at Christmas.

I am not affiliated with Lifewater, but I personally believe and support the work that they do.

Reactions: Grace2022

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi
This is fabulous, you are so right. Christmas has become horribly materialistic.

Personally i was careful this Christmas. My partner and i set a budget for each other. Just split the cost of theatre tickets for two events which we can look forward to this year plus a small present each under the tree. Got each other slippers! Very modest but practical. Otherwise i only bought small gifts for close family and friends. I also pruned my card list rather brutally. Instead of sending about 100 cards i sent less than 30. I crossed off my list all the people from my past who i will never see again and who are just not in my life.
So i have been careful. I placed emphasis time and energy instead on enjoying church services, seeing friends, spending time with those who matter to me. Also nice food and time to relax. I am much troubled that christmas is so expensive and unrealistic for people. They plunge themselves into debt over it and that is so sad and unnecessary.

In the end it is about Christ's birth and love fir your fellow man. Not money and material things. Chritmas day i thanked God for our health and peace as a family. Thanks also for the Light of the World, my saviour.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread is a bit late since many have already overspent and now have to pay for what they have done. So now you can have all of this year to think about it and make a decision to change your behaviour before you have to go through it all again next Christmas.

So how do you save money at Christmas? The answer is stop buying presents at Christmas. Instead, adopt a new tradition and give all, or a portion of, what you would have spent on presents and decorations, to an organization such as Lifewater, or any other ministry that saves lives, and then get money back from the government in the form of a tax deductible charitable credit to boot. Lifewater, specifically, takes your donation and uses it to drill wells in Africa and Haiti.

Here are 5 reasons why you should consider exchanging an old tradition for a new one;

It saves lives.

It is projected that over 100 million people will die from water related diseases by the year 2020 if we do nothing. Many of them are children. According to polls, the average family spends over $1000 on Christmas presents every year, with many not able to afford the expense. Let’s say that there are 1 million Christian families in Canada. If only 10% committed to donating half of what they spent on gifts, 50 million dollars would be raised each year in Canada alone to provide clean water to those who don’t have it. Lifewater drilling teams are ready and able to drill more wells to save lives, but the funds just aren’t there.

It reflects the true spirit of what giving is all about.

Giving gifts to people who already have all that they could possibly need or want while others are dying from the lack of the basic necessities of life does not foster the spirit of Christ at a time when we are celebrating His coming as our Saviour. Nowhere in Scripture are we taught that because we have been given the gift of God’s Son are we to give each other gifts at Christmas. This is an evolved human tradition that sprang from Paganism. Since God the Father has given us spiritual life through the giving of His Son, a more apt way to observe this time of year would be to also give life. We are commanded throughout the Bible to give to the poor. Mark 7:8 could apply to this situation as Jesus said, “You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.”

It counters the spirit of materialism.

Materialism (the love of acquiring more material goods for oneself) is rampant in our society. Unneeded material goods wrapped in colorful paper stacked under a decorated tree is the epitome of our embracing of that spirit. The celebration of a Saviour coming into the world should not be compromised by the observance of a competing thought involving materialism. Neither does stuffing our faces with food and drink while others go hungry reflect the spirit of Christ. Remember that although He is the King of the universe, He came to us in the humblest of circumstances. That, however, is another discussion.

It reduces stress and worry.

You no longer will have to worry about what “made in China” gadget you have to find for that person who already has all that they need. No more stress over trying to find the perfect parking spot at the mall while you think about walking about the congested stores. You can now focus on what God has done for you with a mind of peace and joy, and reflect on the saved lives that clean water will bring about.

As already mentioned above, it will save you money

It will also help keep the hand of government out of your pocket. Remember that everything that you buy is subject to a government tax. So if you buy gifts, then the government will be on your gift list as well.

This may all sound like I am hating on Christmas, but in reality I am only hating on the tradition of gift giving that has crept in to dilute and rob the preeminence of Christ’s incarnation. My wife and I have been observing this new tradition for about 20 years and have experienced more peace and joy at Christmas than when we exchanged presents.

This Christmas would you also consider giving life, instead of presents?

If you see the merit in what has been presented, please tell others. Perhaps a movement within the church at large will begin with something as simple as choosing to think differently on how we honor Jesus Christ at Christmas.

I am not affiliated with Lifewater, but I personally believe and support the work that they do.

Our extended family gives White Elephants or "Re-Gifts" all at one exchange.
Then optional $10 more goes to a charity drawn at random from suggestions.
The winner explains the charity. I won this year:

Hunger Task Force | Ending Hunger is Our Mission

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2018
Duncan
✟9,838.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I only give cards to my presumed unsaved friends and acquaintances, such as mail delivery person and new people in the neighborhood. I ensure that they have a Christian theme and I also include a gospel message typed and attached to the side of the card. I can get nice cards for cheap at the dollar store here in Canada. Even better if you buy them after Christmas for the next year. I am not a big supporter of the way things are done at Christmas since Jesus was not even born on the 25th of December and the early church did not observe it. I have nothing against honoring Christ on that day as I try to do that every day, but all of the other things are superfluous. The season does provide an opportunity to witness to unbelievers because they are more open to hear about Jesus at this time, so I take advantage of it. I just tell my saved friends what I do instead of giving out cards and presents and who can argue about saving lives over giving unneeded "stuff". Thank you for your encouraging words and support and may others also catch the vision.

Upvote 0