Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
should I pray to God the father or Jesus?
Or the trinity?
I know some prayers end “in Jesus name, amen” and others “in the name of the father, son, and Holy Ghost/spirit”.
Or does it matter, because the prayer Jesus taught “our father” ends in just amen.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm not sure why but when i need help, support or forgiveness then i seek out Jesus but when i worship i seek the Father's face through Jesus. It seems to work fine.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Bipolargirl, you can pray to any member of the Godhead, but I think it's most typical to pray to the Father in Jesus' name.

Here's something you might be interested in from Dr. John MacArthur called How to Pray. You can listen or read or both. I believe it's part of a short series of his called Spiritual Boot Camp, which takes a look at three of the other core Christian disciplines as well, Bible Study, Fellowship & Witnessing. It's all free online, just FYI :)

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - you might be interested in this (from our friends @ GotQuestions.org) as well: To whom are we to pray, the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit?

Ephesians 5
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,
16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,
20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Or the trinity?
I know some prayers end “in Jesus name, amen” and others “in the name of the father, son, and Holy Ghost/spirit”.
Or does it matter, because the prayer Jesus taught “our father” ends in just amen.
As Jesus Instructed,
take time out frequently daily, WITH THE FATHER ,
and GRADUALLY (He told the Apostles) - gradually your focus and attention will be ON THE FATHER instead of on yourself.

Later, speak as the FATHER SPEAKS. (His Words, even if taken to court),
and DO what the Heavenly Father DOES.

Always seek His Kingdom (daily, every day, throughout all life on earth). (keep seeking Him always)

Read the prayers in Scripture as you read through Scripture, and pray as they prayed, for all the Promises God Promises, even go to the Heavenly Thrown when there is any need, and make your request known , expecting help in time of need,
AS JESUS DIRECTED and TAUGHT in SCRIPTURE.

HE is Faithful and True - to be Trusted and Relied upon always.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Or the trinity?
I know some prayers end “in Jesus name, amen” and orthers en “in the name of the father, son, and Holy Ghost/spirit”.

What is the Trinity?

It is the doctrinal truth that God is revealed and subsists in three distinct persons. This means that the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit are essentially one and the same God, without dividing the essence. When you pray to the Father, you are also praying to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, because they share the same essence of divinity in perfect unity.

For an example, we read in John 1:1-3 that the Word (Jesus) was with God and was at the same time God, and that all things were made through him, and that nothing that has been made was made without him. But didn't the Father and the Holy Spirit create the world too? This is because they all do the work as one God, rather than three separates. When we speak of the Father creating, we say all things were made by him; of the Son, all things were made through him; of the Spirit. all things were made in him. Their work of creating is indivisible, since they all do it as the same God. They are distinct in their personal properties (beget, begotten, proceeding), but they remain the same divine being in each person.

"God" is a term we frequently use for the Father to distinguish him from the Son, thus why we often call him the "Son of God" than just "God." But at other times, the word "God" is used generically to refer to the whole Godhead. The Father is no less God, the Son is no less God, and the Spirit is no less God. They are one and the same, but distinguished by their personal properties. The Father begets, but himself is not begotten; the Son is begotten, but does not beget; and the Spirit proceeds from them both (let's not debate this one).

So when I use "God," I am referring more to the essence of being rather than a person. The doctrine of the Trinity is that there are three persons of one and the same divine nature. One cannot do something without the other, they are inseparable, yet are personally distinct. When we speak of the Father's will, we also mean the Son's will, and the Spirit's will. They are indivisible. Who spoke in the ears of the prophets? They all did in the unity of their essence, but at the same time through the one person, the Holy Spirit. This is why Jesus said that the Father was in him and he was in the Father, whatever he does as God - the Father is doing as God. They are indivisible. Jesus said that the Father will raise him from the dead, but he says in another place that he will raise himself from the dead, and at another place we read that it was the Holy Spirit that raised him. At first sight this looks like an apparent contradiction, but it isn't. All three persons were active in the work of resurrecting the humanity of Jesus, because they all do it in the same divine essence. They all three have the same divine essence, which we call God. When I pray to the Father, I am equally praying to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. If my prayers are answered, it was answered by all three persons in the unity of essence.

"The Son can do nothing but what he sees the Father doing," remember that saying? He said this about the miracles he was doing. When did the Father do miracles? It is human language to express that the Son is of the Father's essence, sharing the same power and authority with the Father in the works he did in the Spirit. There wasn't really a time Jesus actually sat down and the Father showed him how to perform miracles, this was an analogy of the indivisible essence.

• Winner
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Or the trinity?

Hello Bipolargirl. I'd like to suggest both the use of the Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy on me, a sinner) in repetition, and an Orthodox Prayer Book. The prayer book gives you the benefit of constructed prayers that have been in use for centuries by the Orthodox church, but also gives you a way to pace yourself, or set goals for a prayer rule. Both of these things are best done under the guidance of a priest.

The Ancient Faith Prayer Book

I hope this is helpful :) God Bless.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Or the trinity?
Most academics would agree that the correct answer would be that it is acceptable to pray to any person of the Trinity but it is most common to pray to the Father though Jesus who is our High Priest and intercessor.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @Bipolargirl, you can pray to any member of the Godhead, but I think it's most typical to pray to the Father in Jesus' name.

Here's something you might be interested in from Dr. John MacArthur called How to Pray.

Good advice.

p.s. - you might be interested in this (from our friends @ GotQuestions.org) as well: To whom are we to pray, the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit?

Ephesians 5
15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,
16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,
20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Another good resource is Praying with Paul: A Call to Spiritual Reformation by Don Carson. This little book walks through each of the prayers Paul makes in his epistles:
https://www.amazon.com/Praying-Paul-Call-Spiritual-Reformation/dp/080109710X/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0