• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

how to lose weight by swimming and being on apripriprazole

Oct 8, 2012
✟21,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi im on mental illness tablets and wanted to lose weight by swimming we live by the sea.
I also get migraines. The tablets appriprazole keeps me overweight, exercise seems to bring on migraines sometimes not all the time. I just wondered if swimming is a good way to lose weight and also not to bad with causing migraines?

Have you been on mental illness tablets and succesfully lost weight?
Wondered if anyone has been like this or similiar

What are your thoughts on migraines ans swimming?

Reactions: Mydnyte

Blessed Each Day

Supporter
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia
✟69,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've never heard of a correlation with swimming and migraines so you should be fine there. I don't have experience with them myself, but if it affects your metabolism your adjustment should be similar regardless.What's your diet like? If your medication is slowing down your metabolism, you want to adjust your diet accordingly, but in a healthy way. If you get migraines from exercise in general, I would take that up with your doctor, as there could be a correlation with the increased blood flow, and increased muscle tension in your head/intracranial pressure.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi im on mental illness tablets and wanted to lose weight by swimming we live by the sea.
I also get migraines. The tablets appriprazole keeps me overweight, exercise seems to bring on migraines sometimes not all the time. I just wondered if swimming is a good way to lose weight and also not to bad with causing migraines?

Hi
I sympathize hugely, I know about migraines, they rule your life, spoil it. I suffered regularly severe ones for years, vomiting, two days in bed severity. I will tell you how mine went away, I have now not had any for five years and feel fit and well as never before in my life. But it's my own experience only.

I was 49, diabetic, fat, high blood pressure and five stones overweight with terrible migraines. Several tablets a day, no use at all.
I realised my whole body and diet were out of balance. Lots of research, then I had a plan.
Firstly I began fasting for 18 hours daily. This just means no breakfast, no snacks. Water only. Just lunch and dinner. It gives the body precious healing time.

Then I went onto the Atkins Diet. Low carbohydrate, high fat, high protein. Fresh home made foods only, no junk. Exercise, just active doing housework and garden, daily walks with dog.

This regime I have stuck to. Oh also cut all salt and of course sugar.

Results: I am 7 stone 12 pounds. Lost five stones. NO migraines, nor even headaches. Blood sugar normal. Blood pressure low normal. I feel wonderful, wear size six clothes. I am 55 and in better shape than ever. My type two diabetes is totally diet controlled, the doctor says he only needs to see me once a year.

Biggest reason is sugar and all carbohydrates are the cause of most illness and obesity. I eat meat, fish, eggs, salads, certain low carb fruits, loads of green Vegetables. No fizzy drinks, no caffeine.

By putting my body right, all migraines gone. The doctor was amazed! Atkins works despite eating fats. Fats and protein are essential, carbs are not. I never counted any calories! Just eat as much as you need to fill up.
My experience, maybe you can consider it?
Oh, I came off all medications under supervision from the doctor. I take none now.

One point, when I go out for special meals, I will indulge in a pudding. But next day I get straight back to Atkins. I can get away with an occasional thing, but absolutely no cakes, biscuits etc. They are destructive empty foods. Sugar makes you hungry, never satisfies. Glucose is toxic to your whole body

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2012
✟21,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi
I sympathize hugely, I know about migraines, they rule your life, spoil it. I suffered regularly severe ones for years, vomiting, two days in bed severity. I will tell you how mine went away, I have now not had any for five years and feel fit and well as never before in my life. But it's my own experience only.

I was 49, diabetic, fat, high blood pressure and five stones overweight with terrible migraines. Several tablets a day, no use at all.
I realised my whole body and diet were out of balance. Lots of research, then I had a plan.
Firstly I began fasting for 18 hours daily. This just means no breakfast, no snacks. Water only. Just lunch and dinner. It gives the body precious healing time.

Then I went onto the Atkins Diet. Low carbohydrate, high fat, high protein. Fresh home made foods only, no junk. Exercise, just active doing housework and garden, daily walks with dog.

This regime I have stuck to. Oh also cut all salt and of course sugar.

Results: I am 7 stone 12 pounds. Lost five stones. NO migraines, nor even headaches. Blood sugar normal. Blood pressure low normal. I feel wonderful, wear size six clothes. I am 55 and in better shape than ever. My type two diabetes is totally diet controlled, the doctor says he only needs to see me once a year.

Biggest reason is sugar and all carbohydrates are the cause of most illness and obesity. I eat meat, fish, eggs, salads, certain low carb fruits, loads of green Vegetables. No fizzy drinks, no caffeine.

By putting my body right, all migraines gone. The doctor was amazed! Atkins works despite eating fats. Fats and protein are essential, carbs are not. I never counted any calories! Just eat as much as you need to fill up.
My experience, maybe you can consider it?
Oh, I came off all medications under supervision from the doctor. I take none now.

One point, when I go out for special meals, I will indulge in a pudding. But next day I get straight back to Atkins. I can get away with an occasional thing, but absolutely no cakes, biscuits etc. They are destructive empty foods. Sugar makes you hungry, never satisfies. Glucose is toxic to your whole body
mine unfortunately are getting to the puking stage i was gaging just about throwing up last night and my head tension is sore getting more sore

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
mine unfortunately are getting to the puking stage i was gaging just about throwing up last night and my head tension is sore getting more sore

I always found it best to fast as symptoms came on. It minimised the sickness.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Any type of exercise is good for losing fat, but weight bearing exercise is typically best.

Upvote 0