JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There has been a standard cure for slugs for years. You give them beer to drink. Sure you can go out with your flash light and they will have their little party hats on and be hooping and hollering away. But in the morning, they will have gotten drunk and fallen into the beer and drown.

But now, do to a mutation in the evolutionary development of slugs a new group is emerging that just does not like to drink beer. So now how do we get rid of them? Never fear, the collage boys have an answer. Give them coffee. It seems that it stimulates their heart rate and they will high tale it out of there to get away from the caffine.

My only question is, how do they manage to slap the cuff on those little guys to get their vital signs? Can you really get a slug to climb on the tread mill to give them a stress test?

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
:D

The best way to get rid of slugs is to clean up the leaf litter in your garden. If you don't have a lot of freshly rotting organic material around, the slugs don't have anywhere to hide their clumps of eggs and they won't lay them unless they have a place to hide them, and they'll migrate to a place where they can lay their eggs. So, a rake a day keeps the slugs away! :D

As for the evolutionary thing, it sounds more like natural selection than evolution. The slugs that liked beer are dead from drinking beer, and all that's left are the ones who prefer coffee!

Upvote 0
Originally posted by JohnR7
My only question is, how do they manage to slap the cuff on those little guys to get their vital signs? Can you really get a slug to climb on the tread mill to give them a stress test?

The cuff that the nurse puts on your arm is to measure blood pressure not heart rate.

Heart rate is measured electrically. Ever hear of a gizmo called an EKG?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie
How do you hook an EKG up to a person?

I think they glue them on. Slugs are mostly made up of slime, it would be hard to get the glue to stick. I use to find them every now and then when I was digging around in our garden. I would fling them out to the driveway and the birds would give them about 5 min. to cook in the sun. Then they would swoop down and get 'em. I am not real big on killing anything, but those things are disgusting to look at and they like to eat the roots of the tender shoots of plants as they are just coming up out of the seed.

Upvote 0

Humanista

Empirically Speaking
Sep 21, 2002
Visit site
✟12,499.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
OK, how do I get rid of slugs IN MY HOUSE? I have no idea how they get in, but I find them in several downstairs rooms at night (try stepping on one barefooted!eeeewwwww!) or see their shiny trails the next day. I can never find where they hide during the day. And these are the BIG ones!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Humanista
Yeah, that's practical----cover the entire floor of my house with copper wire.

Maybe you run some power though the wire and then you could really cook them puppies.

Also, you can try salt. The salt does not go well with their slime, and they say that will do them in.

Upvote 0

JagSayon

Jun 16, 2002
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yeah, you can't go wrong with salt. ;) Years ago when I was in high school, my friends and I found a snail/slug (whatever it was). So we were contemplating what form of torture we would do to it...yes, I was a sadist then. :cry: So my friend suggested using salt and he ran to canteen and got a packet of salt from one of the vendors. He came back and took a handful and just flung it on the snail/slug.

The slug literally exploded! Its juices were flung all over the place and I think the shell and parts of its sublimated body was left. Later, another of my friend had a nice time of snail/slug golf where he used a branch to "tee off". The point is use salt and a biohazard suit if you are within close proximity. :D

Jag

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Humanista
OK, how do I get rid of slugs IN MY HOUSE? I have no idea how they get in, but I find them in several downstairs rooms at night (try stepping on one barefooted!eeeewwwww!) or see their shiny trails the next day. I can never find where they hide during the day. And these are the BIG ones!

Table salt kills slugs

Upvote 0