Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have a working-class problem in the Catholic Church today. Not a problem with the working class, per se, but a problem because they are absent. I quickly noticed this as a parish priest. The vast majority of weekly Massgoers at our parish had white-collar jobs. And this didn’t reflect the neighborhood, which had plenty of blue-collar families. And then I noticed it wasn’t just true of that parish, it was true of many parishes where I said Mass. In a world marked by shifting cultural values and evolving religious practices, one noticeable trend has emerged: a decline in attendance at Catholic Mass among working-class individuals.

Researcher Ryan Burge has noticed this trend, broadly. In a recent post at GraphsAboutReligion.com, he argues that religion has become a luxury good. Using the Cooperative Data Study, which includes 570,000 total responses over 15 years, Burge demonstrates that the less education a person has, the more likely he or she is to identify as a “none” or an atheist. According to this data, it is just not true that the more educated a person is, the more likely they are to disaffiliate.

In fact, Burge’s research reveals another striking conclusion: “The people who are the most likely to attend services this weekend are those with college degrees making $60K-$100K. In other words, middle-class professionals.” The problem, however, is that the Gospel is not just for the middle class. So what happened? Why have we lost the working class?

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: WarriorAngel

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting article.
I would not have thought it would be so ...

Got to admit: I see mostly senior age people most regularly in church. Lots of seniors.
Maybe it is a 'time' factor? Many seniors tend to have a lighter schedule, more time ...

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Could women priests help with child care?
Women priests would alienate even more working class people. Just ask the Episcopalians, who have ‘women priests’ how many working class people they have left in their ranks.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Interesting article.
I would not have thought it would be so ...

Got to admit: I see mostly senior age people most regularly in church. Lots of seniors.
Maybe it is a 'time' factor? Many seniors tend to have a lighter schedule, more time ...
I was at daily mass yesterday and it was unsurprisingly mostly older people. But in the row in front of me was a mother and young teenaged son. So who knows.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was at daily mass yesterday and it was unsurprisingly mostly older people. But in the row in front of me was a mother and young teenaged son. So who knows.

There does seem to be something happening amongst younger persons ... (meaning 'younger than us seniors' ... lol) ...
persons looking at this crazy world spinning out of control, and seeking truth ...

I think that has been part of the attraction to the Latin Mass ... the traditional Catholic Church ...
where it does seem we are noticeably seeming some movement of God.
(And younger persons are being attracted to it!)

I am encouraged.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The intellectual elite in my parish treated the rest of us like stupid people. Didn't matter
what ministry we got involved with, they made the decisions without consulting us.

So, better to just quit than to be pushed around by hubris of the elite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The intellectual elite in my parish treated the rest of us like stupid people. Didn't matter
what ministry we got involved with, they made the decisions without consulting us.

So, better to just quit than to be pushed around by hubris of the elite.
Ouch. I note a lot of 'professionalism' in parishes. We plebes are fit to attend their programs but not to do much more. We can be discipled but maybe not actually disciple others. A good parish doesn't limit non-professional people as much, and equips them.

I'm mostly self-taught in theology. I took a few courses along the way but by in large when I was starting to try to figure this all out in the late 1970's I didn't have many options. So I don't have the credentials.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
A quick aside I noted in the article...
'With youth sports and other activities on the rise, '

I asked my kids school to get sports programs going because more students would have come.
:scratch:
But that was a noooooo [despite asking what we needed]

Upvote 0