How to find Eastern Catholic parishes in the U.S.?

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
ByzCath has a very outdated directory, like very outdated. They don't even have my parish that has been around for 100 years in there. :p

The second link is Chaldean Catholic only, there are not many of their parishes in the United States. If you want I can help you find a parish through PM. :) I'm trustworthy.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you are in the Central or Western United States, this is a helpful link.

Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
Map of Saint Nicholas Eparchy | Saint Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy

Just click your state from the list on the left, if you live in Illinois for example, you can click the Illinois link and it will show you parishes in your area. That is only one of the 22 Eastern Catholic Churches though (the Ukrainian Church), so if you want me to help you search...as stated I would love to help.

It can be very confusing, and very hard to find a church, my own parish doesn't even have a website. :p

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for one????

While studying the beliefs/practices of various Christian groups, I am perusing the websites of various churches. I want not only to learn what they're about but also to (literally) see what they're about by perusing photos of them, whenever available. And if a parish was to intrigue me greatly, then I'd want to know if it's near-ish to my home. :)

SS

Upvote 0
Apr 2, 2014
Warren, OH
✟615.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Soma

Try going to the eparchy websites of individual ones---unlike western rite dioceses which are numerous and in one geographical area, many byzantine eparchies are very large geographically since there are less of us. Also don't limit to just byzantine word search, but look up ruthenian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Bulgarian etc etc------these in themselves are all byzantine but different eparchies.

The Ruthenian Arch-Eparchy of Pittsburgh for example covers a large map area of the United States that is not just in Pittsburgh but covers some western areas as well.

I am in the Eparchy of Parma---which is based out of Cleveland, but it covers a lot of area as well.

Upvote 0

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
While studying the beliefs/practices of various Christian groups, I am perusing the websites of various churches. I want not only to learn what they're about but also to (literally) see what they're about by perusing photos of them, whenever available. And if a parish was to intrigue me greatly, then I'd want to know if it's near-ish to my home. :)

SS

That is a great idea! I might do that too! :)

Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

That is a great idea! I might do that too! :)

Being that you're a Chaldean Catholic, is your only option to attend a RC parish due to location/availability?

Where I live, 99.9% of the Catholic churches are RC. An online search revealed one OCA and one AO parish, both about 30-minute drive from my home. That finding, in itself, was surprising. But, apparently, EC parishes are even more scarce by in my area.

SS

Upvote 0

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Being that you're a Chaldean Catholic, is your only option to attend a RC parish due to location/availability?

Where I live, 99.9% of the Catholic churches are RC. An online search revealed one OCA and one AO parish, both about 30-minute drive from my home. That finding, in itself, was surprising. But, apparently, EC parishes are even more scarce by in my area.

SS

Yup. No Chaldean church where I live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is a shame that anyone should feel a stirring for a certain form of worship but are unable to experience it regularly. :(

If I may ask, were you raised in the CC faith but moved to another area and, thus, away from any/all CC parishes?

SS

Yup! That is exactly the case. And I'm pretty happy where I am now. :)

Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

Yup! That is exactly the case. And I'm pretty happy where I am now. :)

One last (two-part) question, I promise! :D Being that you're CC, does that mean you, like those of the EO faith, disagree with the filioque? And if so, what do you do when it comes time to recite the Nicene Creed? (Do you recite it the RC way, or do you remain silent for the "and the Son" part?)

Although you haven't access to a CC community, it's good that you're happy with your area of residence.

SS

Upvote 0

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
One last (two-part) question, I promise! :D Being that you're CC, does that mean you, like those of the EO faith, disagree with the filioque? And if so, what do you do when it comes time to recite the Nicene Creed? (Do you recite it the RC way, or do you remain silent for the "and the Son" part?)

Although you haven't access to a CC community, it's good that you're happy with your area of residence.

SS

I was surprised when I read in this forum that the ECC does not have the Filioque in the creed. I was taught to say (and the son) as a kid. I checked on Wikipedia which said the Chaldean Church changed the Creed in 2007 removing (and the son). Since I have not attended a Chaldean Mass in years I had no idea. I contacted a friend who is attending a Chaldean church. She said that nothing has changed in the Creed. They still say (from the father and the son). That'll teach me not to trust Wikipedia :doh:

And since I attended a Syriac Catholic Church three years ago (for almost three years), I know they have not changed their Creed either.

So where did the claims about ECC dropping the use of Filioque come from? Which Eastern Church did this? That is what am researching at the moment.

PS: You may ask me as many questions as you like. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was surprised when I read in this forum that the ECC does not have the Filioque in the creed. I was taught to say (and the son) as a kid. I checked on Wikipedia which said the Chaldean Church changed the Creed in 2007 removing (and the son). Since I have not attended a Chaldean Mass in years I had no idea. I contacted a friend who is attending a Chaldean church. She said that nothing has changed in the Creed. They still say (from the father and the son). That'll teach me not to trust Wikipedia :doh:

And since I attended a Syriac Catholic Church three years ago (for almost three years), I know they have not changed their Creed either.

So where did the claims about ECC dropping the use of Filioque come from? Which Eastern Church did this? That is what am researching at the moment.

PS: You may ask me as many questions as you like. :)

From what I can tell, many Oriental branches of Eastern Catholicism were more latinized than the Byzantine branches. I know from the beginning, the UGCC has not said the filioque.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
EC and OO both lag behind in resources for locating a parish. It would be great if there was a site like orthodoxyinamerica.org for them. As an aside, I have noticed that most of the directories do not get updated regularly and likely as not the links for websites are outdated and non-functioning.

Upvote 0