Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am writing this OP from personal experience.

It is not helpful to think that depression is caused by sin. Being depressed is not a sin. Depression is often triggered by the loss of a job, the death of a loved one, divorce, etc. The righteous Job lost just about everything: his wealth, his sons and daughters, and his health. What he didn't lose, i.e., his wife and his friends, were not helpful. Depression set in and he wished that he was born dead (Job 3:11). Arguing about the why's (Job 3-37) made things worse.

Job 19:
17 My breath is strange to my wife, and I am a stench to the children of my own mother. ...
19 All my intimate friends abhor me, and those whom I loved have turned against me.
How did it get resolved?

Eventually, God showed up, Job 40:
1 And the LORD said to Job: 2“Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.”
3 Then Job answered the LORD and said: 4 “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. 5 I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.”

Step #1: Stop finding faults with God. Humble yourself before God and listen to him. Focus on the Paraclete-peace in you and not on your self. Read the Bible and pray every day.

Job 42:
10 After Job had prayed for his friends, the LORD restored his prosperity and doubled his former possessions.

Step #2: Pray for people who are against you. Forgive everyone who has wronged you.

11 All his brothers and sisters and prior acquaintances came and dined with him in his house. They consoled him and comforted him over all the adversity that the LORD had brought upon him. And each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring.

Step #3: Don't isolate yourself. Get help from people who love you and are able to help you. Talk to your best friends who know you and understand you. Don't talk to the ones who don't. Job's 4 friends were not helpful and made his condition worse. Most people will fail you.

12 So the LORD blessed Job’s latter days more than his first. He owned 14,000 sheep, 6,000 camels, 1,000 yoke of oxen, and 1,000 female donkeys.

Step #4: Be active. Get going. Go out and enjoy the sunlight. Do whatever you are good at. Get closer to God.

Here are some other encouraging verses:

Psalm 34:
17 When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.

Matthew 11:
28 Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.

Psalms 42:
11 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
In the case of Clinical Depression, it is good to seek medication and professional help.

See also This life is a testing place for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ari.sketch

ari.sketch

Aug 14, 2023
Daejeon
✟7,389.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for this, going through some hard times right now, severe depression, loneliness, fear, anxiety, hopelessness, the works ...

Am trying to read the Bible every day, listen to sermons, having time to praise and worship God.
Also trying to do something constructive as you said.

Really appreciate this, thank you.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for this, going through some hard times right now, severe depression, loneliness, fear, anxiety, hopelessness, the works ...

Am trying to read the Bible every day, listen to sermons, having time to praise and worship God.
Also trying to do something constructive as you said.

Really appreciate this, thank you.
The Lord be with you.

Reactions: ari.sketch
Upvote 0