How 'Spirit-filled' are the services at your church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willem

Jul 17, 2006
✟15,190.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
'Spirit-filled' services have always fascinated me. Not the fluffy stuff you see on TV, but the real thing you may be fortunate enough to experience in your church in Anytown, USA.

I grew up in a Methodist church on the Gulf Coast, and our services were always pretty subdued -- no dancing or speaking in tongues or 'falling out'. Just good people worshipping, and I like it that way. However, I've come across a few variations over the years.

My sister attends a UMC in Arkansas, and they are more outwardly spiritual than how we are here on the GC. I want to stress that this is legit spirituality, not just showing off for the crowd. There are often 'Amens' and "Praise the Lord's" called out, and every now and then someone will jump up from their seat. It's a very energized vibe by UMC standards (at least mine), and I like it too.

I've also lived and attended services on the East Coast and upper midwest, and the services I attended there seemed to be more calm and ritualistic.

So here's my question to you:

How outwardly spiritual are your UMC/Nazerene/Lutheran/(whatever) services? Are they relatively calm, or is there dancing, speaking in tongues, prophecying (spellcheck), etc?

Also, what's the most significant spiritual event you've ever witnessed? A healing, an exorcism, a powerful repentance?

Thanks for your responses. I really love to learn about this kind of sprirituality taking place in 'Wesleyish' churches, or anywhere for that matter.

Peace-

willem:clap:

Reactions: purplecrayon

TamiinKS

Mar 19, 2007
✟8,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how to take your idea that to be "spirit filled" a service must contain tongues or healings or dancing.

I've been attending a Nazarene church for about two and a half years now. For the first half of that time, we had an absolutely awful pastor. Very little of the Spirit was present. With our new pastor, however, it's a totally different story.

I lead worship with the pastor and I've watched the faces of the people register the presence of the Spirit. I've felt Him myself more times than I can count. The most significant spiritual events I've witnessed are people coming forward to pray a sinner's prayer and accept Christ. But recently we had our entire service disrupted by the Spirit. No sermon. Just testimonies that were awesome. Then everyone gathered around the altars and we had prayers and annointing with oil for those who needed that. Never in my life have I felt the presence of God so powerfully.

I'd suggest that any church that is honestly seeking God, teaching and preaching from His Word and worshiping Him in spirit and truth has spirit-filled services. It might not all look the same, but that's just the amazingly creative God we serve.

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

willem

Jul 17, 2006
✟15,190.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I didn't mean to suggest that the Spirit's presence could only be revealed thru outward expression, but my wording was a little ambiguous. I'm not a charasmatic worshiper, and I've certainly felt His presence from time to time. I agree 100% with you final comments. Thanks for your reply.

Peace-

willem

:)

Upvote 0

cristianna

...dancing in the rain...
Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So here's my question to you:

How outwardly spiritual are your UMC/Nazerene/Lutheran/(whatever) services? Are they relatively calm, or is there dancing, speaking in tongues, prophecying (spellcheck), etc?

Also, what's the most significant spiritual event you've ever witnessed? A healing, an exorcism, a powerful repentance?

Thanks for your responses. I really love to learn about this kind of sprirituality taking place in 'Wesleyish' churches, or anywhere for that matter.

Peace-

willem

I'm on the East Coast myself. Our "home" church was incredibly spirit filled-- everything and anything went.

Where I have moved to (SmallTown USA), well... I'm very tempted to do the drive back to our "home" church in the city each and every Sunday.

Of course dh says I'm just being too hard, and I need to accept our new church and pastor-- although he agrees the adjustment is difficult. But I can tell you I'm feeling starved and malnourished in the local church. And we've frequented just about all of them.

Reactions: purplecrayon
Upvote 0

TheQuietMan

Apr 10, 2007
Kansas
✟7,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd suggest that any church that is honestly seeking God, teaching and preaching from His Word and worshiping Him in spirit and truth has spirit-filled services. It might not all look the same, but that's just the amazingly creative God we serve.

I think TamiinKS hit the nail on the head...as someone who's spent a lot of time in both Pentecostal and Nazarene churches, I agree that if the focus is on worshiping God, bringing Him praise and listening for His direction, the Spirit will be there. Sometimes it's a mighty rushing wind, sometimes a still, small voice.

In the Nazarene church we're currently attending, it's interesting that the older folks are the most demonstrative in their worship, with lots of raised hands and hearty Amens.

Upvote 0

purplecrayon

Child of God
Apr 26, 2007
Northern California
✟15,271.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I think TamiinKS hit the nail on the head...as someone who's spent a lot of time in both Pentecostal and Nazarene churches, I agree that if the focus is on worshiping God, bringing Him praise and listening for His direction, the Spirit will be there. Sometimes it's a mighty rushing wind, sometimes a still, small voice.

In the Nazarene church we're currently attending, it's interesting that the older folks are the most demonstrative in their worship, with lots of raised hands and hearty Amens.
I agree with QuietMan. Spirit is heard at all volumes. The Nazarene church that we go to is very much like he describes. About a third of the folks lift their hands and sing loudly while we praise Him in song. And during the sermon, our pastor speaks in a low, even-keeled voice, but if you look around, tears are quietly streaming down most of our faces.

Upvote 0

ParaCristo

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2005
Kansas City Area ,Mo
Visit site
✟105,976.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Our Church is going thru a tough transitional time right now...we have a lot of people who are upset with our Spirit-filled Contemporary service...
They think it's wrong...
We raise our hands and give an Amen...when the Spirit stirs us...
But, the people in the Traditional service are trying to get our service eliminated...
very crazy...
we have decent numbers in our service (200)
but only a small amount compared to the 650 in the Traditional service...
We also have a liturgical service that the board is trying to phase out also...
I live in Kansas City (Nazarene Mecca so to speak...)
so there are a lot of Traditional type Nazarene's who don't like contemporary worship...
*sigh*

Upvote 0

Rebirth In Flames

Jul 5, 2004
✟8,902.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
In the congregation that I attend, we're very much ritualistic and reserved. If someone were to scream out, start talking in jibberish, writhe on the floor, etc., it would be considered a distraction and many would get a little perturbed.

I understand that many will say, "well that's just how they worship" or "that's what they're led to do"... if it's going to cause a distraction from the majority who aren't into public displays, then I believe it's wrong.

As to your last question: The most significant spiritual encounter I've ever faced was alone at my conversion. Since then, other significant spiritual moments have been when I was alone doing my personal devotions and I felt the Holy Spirit move within me in a mighty way.
... I know it's easier for many to be led by the manipulation, (come on, in a sense it is!), of the leaders on the stage in a group setting, but for me the most powerful moments have always been alone with my heart directed towards Christ.

Upvote 0

cristianna

Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Our Church is going thru a tough transitional time right now...we have a lot of people who are upset with our Spirit-filled Contemporary service...
They think it's wrong...
But, the people in the Traditional service are trying to get our service eliminated...
very crazy...
so there are a lot of Traditional type Nazarene's who don't like contemporary worship...
*sigh*

That's hard. I'm not trying to distract from the OP, but here's my personal view and belief on services.

God is not boring. God is EXCITING! God is ENERGY and UPLIFTING! God deserves PRAISE and WORSHIP!

I understand for some they will be quiet and more reserved, but that is not fair to the others who really want to be lively to feel held back in a traditional worship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobfromSales

Apr 22, 2007
Central Texas
✟15,161.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
They think it's wrong...
very crazy...
*sigh*

I'm sorry there's a struggle. I like more traditional services but as long as you aren't making up your doctrine I don't see why the two service system is not good enough.

I don't believe in "speaking in tongues," but, to each their own.

Upvote 0

BobfromSales

Apr 22, 2007
Central Texas
✟15,161.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That's hard. I'm not trying to distract from the OP, but here's my personal view and belief on services.

God is not boring. God is EXCITING! God is ENERGY and UPLIFTING! God deserves PRAISE and WORSHIP!

I understand for some they will be quiet and more reserved, but that is not fair to the others who really want to be lively to feel held back in a traditional worship.

It definitely makes a difference in attracting young people. Some claim the main line churches are losing members because of politics but I don't believe that's true. Because of our worship style, absolutely.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryVoyager

Sep 2, 2005
Pacific Northwest
✟18,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I very much prefer a traditional service. I don't think it's boring at all. Our service is pretty traditional and subdued as well.

However, I have no problem with contemporary services for those who prefer that. Our church is pretty small though, and I think most prefer the traditional, so I don't see us adding a contemporary any time soon.

Upvote 0

childofaking

Apr 9, 2007
✟17,182.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The services in my church are fairly traditional on sunday mornings but there are more "informal services in the evening for those who prefer.
I prefer the more traditional personally and often feel gods presence at work in these services. Thats one reason i think we have so many denominations is because the church has to suite many different types of christian people and personalities.;

Upvote 0

cristianna

Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I hope I haven't offended anyone with my word choice of "boring". There are elements from the traditional service that I miss in the contemporary. But I really like the feel of contemporary; it's like everyone is relaxed and themselves.

Maybe it's due to the churches we've frequented. Generally everyone is very stiff and mannequin-like during tradtional. Cough or sneeze, have a child squeal or whimper because a pacifier dropped from it's mouth and it's all eyes, not pleasant ones, on you. There are some who just dismiss it, but not many.

I probably should not have generalized my experiences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImaginaryVoyager

Sep 2, 2005
Pacific Northwest
✟18,098.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No sweat, cristianna. I, for one, was not offended at all.

This reminds me, though. I once went to the house of a pentecostal friend of mine to watch a video of one of his favorite preachers. One line in the video was about those of us who go to the traditional services.

He said that rather than "Standing on the Promises" we were "Sleeping on the Premesis"^_^

Now, I wasn't offended by that. I laughed right along with him.

But I still like the traditional service :)

Upvote 0

Artos

Veteran
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,522.00
Faith
Methodist
We have blended services

ie

1 we follow a liturgical order (but not with responsive readings). We all read the Nicene Creed together during the services. On Communion Sundays, the pastor wears a gown and a stole. Communion stewards wear coats. We follow liturgical colors (altar cloth, pulpit falls, bulletin covers)

2 we sing mostly choruses/songs more than hymns (simply because our musicians are not able to read notes and are more comfortable with these than hymns) with drums, guitars, tamborines, keyboard. There's clapping at times.

3. no choirs. We have one worship leader and a group of back-up singers

4.Transitions between songs/liturgical acts are more often than not, not made with announcements like ' please be seated', ' please stand and say...' but with a 'connecting prayer' (eg the last line of the song is "Thy Kingdom come" just before the Offering. The 'anchor' for the service will pray "Yes, Lord....as we pray for your Kingdom to come, we do it now in action in the offering of our tithes to You. Please accept these our gifts, in Jesus' Name, Amen".

5. If we have a speaker who moves in prophetic- we let him minister in that way during the service.

6. During the Lord's Prayer (we use Cliff Richard
's Millenium prayer song), there is a point where people are invited to sing in tongues if they wish.

7.There is a ministry team to do altar ministry after the service. They are trained in inner healing, deliverance and prayer for the sick....Several move in the prophetic/intercessory gifts too.

Upvote 0

overnight

overnight of the order
May 8, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
✟15,547.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me start by kind of answering the question. The church I currently attend has two services. One that is very traditional (not quite as litergical as I would like but close). One that is contemporary (not anywhere close to a saddleback or Brownsville but some praise and worship). Now my 2 cents on the questions as it stood in the beginning. I personally get more out of a very litergical service with the litergy, robes, acholites, choir, organ and the things people think of as "stuffy". In that kind of service I feel more of the spirit and "strangly warmed" than in a "holy roller" service. Not that there is anything wrong with that it is differnt strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0

Timuchin

May 4, 2007
Visit site
✟8,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a recent member of a large UMC church. It is "purpose driven" with a vengeance. It has two traditional services and two contemporary services. The spirit is not strong in any of them. The preaching is excellent, though. Its main emphasis is emotional support and sound doctrine.

The contemporary music director says that "contemporary" is starting to get a little dated. It has the repetitive songs at 97 decibels, but there's no raising of hands.

My wife & I are on the autism spectrum so we like low decibel, regardless of tradition. The traditional music director was branching out into more and more recent songs and kept getting louder & louder. He wouldn't listen to correction, so he was let go two weeks ago. The new music director is much more spiritually inclined and knows how to make traditional music sound gorgeous.

In the meantime, I'm exemplifying gifts of healings, word of knowledge and a little prophecy. Tongues are for home. In my prayers for people I'm also telling evil "influences" to leave. The demons & I know who I'm talking about!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.