Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
While 1 Thessalonians 5:17 states, "pray without ceasing," I have found another verse that has altered my prayer life tremendously.

In Matthew 6 verse 7, Jesus tells us, "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

God does not want repetitive prayer, he wants constant prayer for new things. He wants us to look to Him always; to pray for guidance in every area of our lives and to pray for the benefit of others. (Philippians 2:4)

Admin: I am not sure if this is placed in the right section. I believe so. Please inform me if it is not :)

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if this may help, but prayer isn't only petitioning God's for things, or interceding for people, but prayer is also just talking to God. Having a conversation with Him. Just telling him about your day. Telling Him how awesome he is, and how much you love him. That personally helped with the idea of "praying without ceasing."

• Agree
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While 1 Thessalonians 5:17 states, "pray without ceasing," I have found another verse that has altered my prayer life tremendously.

In Matthew 6 verse 7, Jesus tells us, "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

God does not want repetitive prayer, he wants constant prayer for new things. He wants us to look to Him always; to pray for guidance in every area of our lives and to pray for the benefit of others. (Philippians 2:4)

Admin: I am not sure if this is placed in the right section. I believe so. Please inform me if it is not :)

We should pray as Christ instructs us to pray, of course.

Along with Matthew ch 6, you will find more in various places in the gospels, like Mark ch 11, and John ch 15, and other places.

About the 'pray without ceasing' idea, I've heard it taken basically to mean not just prayers, but anything that focuses your mind on God and the things of God. So, remembering words of Christ, for instance, would be a part of that 'unceasing' 'prayer'. Notice that remembering/treasuring/meditating/dwelling/keeping Christ's words is the instruction in John 15:7, but do come to this verse naturally, by savoring/reading/listening to all of the passage, from verse 1 through 17.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Along with Matthew ch 6, you will find more in various places in the gospels, like Mark ch 11, and John ch 15, and other places.

About the 'pray without ceasing' idea, I've heard it taken basically to mean not just prayers, but anything that focuses your mind on God and the things of God. So, remembering words of Christ, for instance, would be a part of that 'unceasing' 'prayer'. Notice that remembering/treasuring/meditating/dwelling/keeping Christ's words is the instruction in John 15:7, but do come to this verse naturally, by savoring/reading/listening to all of the passage, from verse 1 through 17.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will have to check out those other chapters you mentioned :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not sure if this may help, but prayer isn't only petitioning God's for things, or interceding for people, but prayer is also just talking to God. Having a conversation with Him. Just telling him about your day. Telling Him how awesome he is, and how much you love him. That personally helped with the idea of "praying without ceasing."

Definitely helps :) Thank you for sharing! I was aware of talking with God. I now see I should have been a bit more clear. I originally typed that post in a pm for a person who requested repetitive prayer. I thought it would make for an interesting conversation ^_^

Upvote 0

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Definitely helps :) Thank you for sharing! I was aware of talking with God. I now see I should have been a bit more clear. I originally typed that post in a pm for a person who requested repetitive prayer. I thought it would make for an interesting conversation ^_^

Whoops, I see :D

Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0