USA
✟478,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who thinks these Words Exodus 20 that God spoke with His own voice and wrote with His own finger and placed in the dwelling place of our Creator and Savior in the Most Holy of God's Temple, is only deceiving themselves. God has an ark of the covenant in Heaven Revelations 11:19 and God's will for us is not different in Heaven as it is on this earth as Jesus taught us. Matthew 6:9-13

Just common sense should tell you we should not do these things if we love God or our fellow man, but since God commanded us and shows mercy for those who love Him and keep His commandments that are written in our hearts and minds in the New Covenant. Jer. 31:33, Hebrews 8:10

3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

I delight to do Your will, O my God, Psalms 40:8
And Your law is within my heart.”

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi S B, What does Paul call the "ministry of death"? What does say about the ministry of death. What replaced the ministry of Death? Yep, you can read all about what it was, what happened and what replaced it in 2Cor 3:6-11.

7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, (that had to be the 10 commandments) came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, (even though the 10 were temporary) 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious (10 commandments) has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory(10 commandments) came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Why were the 10 only temporary S B? I will tell you since you apparently have not considered such a thing. It was because the 10 were the words of the covenant given to Israel and they broke that covenant thus it was negated.

Is mankind without any guidance? Paul makes it clear in verse 8 that we have the Holy Spirit as our guide. Are we without any rules? Jesus gave us the new command to love others as He loves us. Would Jesus commit murder, covet, bear false witness, not love His parents or do any harm to anyone? Think about it S B.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi S B, What does Paul call the "ministry of death"? What does say about the ministry of death.

The Law of God defines what sin is according to Paul in Rom 3:19-20 to this very day. And John agrees in 1 John 3:4 as Paul reconfirms in Romans 7. It is the ministry of death to the lost for "all have sinned" Rom 3:23.

But for the saints it is "written on heart and mind" Jer 31:31-34 as we are reminded in Hebrews 8 - under the "NEW Covenant".

Same Law though ( as Jeremiah and his readers knew in Jer 31.)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi BOB, I don't believe you understood what I asked. Paul called the 10 commandments the "ministry of death".

Because they define what sin is - as Paul points out in Rom 7 and in Rom 3:19-20 even to this very day. And as he said "the wages of SIN is death" Rom 6:23.

Rom 3
19 "Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law none of mankind will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes knowledge of sin."
23 "for ALL have sinned"

"So then - do we make void the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! in fact we ESTABLISH the Law" Rom 3:31

Because for Paul "the Law is written on heart and mind" under the NEW Covenant - Heb 8:6-12

Which leads him to point out that only the lost "Do not submit to the Law of God - neither indeed CAN they" Rom 8:4-12

This leads Paul to demand that the saints fulfill the commandments in Rom 13 and in Eph 6:2 to insist that the commandments give power and authority to his own words as he notes that " 'honor your father and mother' is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bob S said:
If you will study the 10 commands, given only to Israel, you will find that they all were about duty. Israelites could do them out of their love to God and their fellow man. The reality is that God's commands to love are found in the oral commands written by Moses in Deuteronomy and Leviticus. All those laws were only for one nation, Israel. Christians are under the new covenant laws which include foremost our love for Jesus and our fellow man. Jesus covenant to us does not have a bunch of rituals to follow. Israel's covenant promised the land of Canaan, Jesus covenant to all mankind promises eternal life with Him.

I do not see where in scriptures that I should not be obedient to the commandments, and rest on Sabbath, I see God said the Sabbath is holy, and that the Sabbath was made for man. God showed to rest on the seventh day of creation, before there were any of the people of Israel and even before there was the fall of man. I see the Sabbath spoken of abundantly through the Bible.

I see Paul's writing showing the law from God is good. What is called the ministry of death is about obeying the law to be saved. I don't do that, I don't personally know any others doing that, and it seems to be against rules to accuse others of doing that. Salvation is available just through Christ with our repentant faith, with Christ having accomplished everything with sacrifice for our atonement, that we might be restored with forgiveness to blessed relationships with God. Sin should be turned away from, and God's will for us is shown in the Bible, from the beginning.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi BOB, I don't believe you understood what I asked. Paul called the 10 commandments the "ministry of death". He said that the ministry of death (10 commandments) have been done away. 2Cor3:7-11

I see only one actual quote in your post and it refers to the fact that the Law of God condemns the lost -- which is its ministry to a lost person -- where by contrast Heb 8 shows the NEW Covenant ministry of that same law -- for the saved person -- having it written on the heart. Details matter.

Paul said this "what then? do we nullify the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! in fact we ESTABLISH the LAW" Rom 3:31

where that LAW is the one having "honor your father and mother as the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 according to Paul.

Which means 2 Cor 3 does not say "the Ten Commandments have been done away" ... no not even 2 Cor 3:7-11 says that.

======================
2 Cor 3:
4 Such is the confidence we have toward God through Christ. 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves so as to consider anything as having come from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. .

And the NEW Covenant writes the LAW of God known to Jeremiah and his readers "on heart and mind" Heb 8:6-12 according to Paul

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see only one actual quote in your post and it refers to the fact that the Law of God condemns the lost --
I didn't intend for there to be more than one quote. One quote quite makes it clear that the ten were "done away".

which is its ministry to a lost person --
The ten WERE the ministry to all it was given, all sinners, none righteous.

where by contrast Heb 8 shows the NEW Covenant ministry of that same law -- for the saved person -- having it written on the heart.
Since Paul wrote that the ten were (past tense) the ministry they could not be what is written on the Israelites hearts. The fact is Jesus didn't leave Israelites without guidance and Gentiles never were under the ten commandments. To deny this fact is a grave error. No one has stepped up to answer the question I pose periodically; Can you please quote the scripture that explains when God required all mankind to observe the Sabbath he gave only to Israel? I don’t think you have established this point yet. Until this question is answered all the verses you quote are referring to Jesus commands written in our hearts, not the ten. 1Jn3:21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Details matter.
Yes they do and I have been providing them consistently.

Paul said this "what then? do we nullify the Law of God by our faith? God forbid! in fact we ESTABLISH the LAW" Rom 3:31
That does not mean that we are under the Law.

where that LAW is the one having "honor your father and mother as the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 according to Paul.
Love covers that command. If I indeed love my parents I will honor them, I will not steal, I will not defame anyone. In my love for all mankind I will not do any act or say any words that would cause them harm.

Which means 2 Cor 3 does not say "the Ten Commandments have been done away" ... no not even 2 Cor 3:7-11 says that.
That statement shows that you are in complete denial of verse 11. 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious. Ask yourself what Paul was referring to as glorious. The prior verses tell us that the Glorious Holy Spirit has superseded ten commandments.
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

======================
2 Cor 3:
4 Such is the confidence we have toward God through Christ. 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves so as to consider anything as having come from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. .

And the NEW Covenant writes the LAW of God known to Jeremiah and his readers "on heart and mind" Heb 8:6-12 according to Paul

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Bob S said:
.."ministry of death". 2Cor3:7-11

BobRyan said:
I see only one actual quote in your post and it refers to the fact that the Law of God condemns the lost --

Bob S said:
... He said that the ministry of death (10 commandments) have been done away. 2Cor3:7-11

The snip half quote above did not say the Ten Commandments have been done way...

I didn't intend for there to be more than one quote.

It was an interesting snip half-quote of a complete sentence.
And of course I always presume that what you post is under your complete control.

One quote quite makes it clear that the ten were "done away".

Interesting that "The ten were done away" is not actually IN your snip half-quote.

Did you notice that??

This helps the reader understand why it is that THE TEN are affirmed repeatedly in the New Testament as we already saw here

I see only one actual quote in your post and it refers to the fact that the Law of God condemns the lost -- which is its ministry to a lost person -- where by contrast Heb 8 shows the NEW Covenant ministry of that same law -- for the saved person -- having it written on the heart. Details matter.

======================
2 Cor 3:

No wonder James quotes FROM THE TEN - in James 2.
No wonder Paul quotes FROM the TEN for Christians in Eph 6
No wonder Christ quotes from THE TEN - in Matt 19
No wonder Paul quotes from THE TEN - for Christians in Rom 7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since Paul wrote that the ten were (past tense) the ministry they could not be what is written on the Israelites hearts.

Try exegesis instead.

Jer 31:31-34 writes the Law of God known to Jeremiah and his readers "on heart and mind" under the NEW Covenant.

Heb 8:6-12 quotes Jer 31 - verbatim.

No wonder James quotes FROM THE TEN - in James 2.
No wonder Paul quotes FROM the TEN for Christians in Eph 6
No wonder Christ quotes from THE TEN - in Matt 19
No wonder Paul quotes from THE TEN - for Christians in Rom 7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Gentiles never were under the ten commandments. To deny this fact is a grave error.

Is 56:6-8 - gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping
No wonder James quotes FROM THE TEN - in James 2 for ALL Christians - not "Just Jews"

No wonder Paul quotes FROM the TEN for Christians in Eph 6 for ALL Christians - not "Just Jews"

No wonder Paul quotes from THE TEN - for Christians in Rom 7 for ALL Christians - not "Just Jews"

No one has stepped up to answer the question I pose periodically; Can you please quote the scripture that explains when God required all mankind to observe the Sabbath he gave only to Israel? I don’t think you have established this point yet

I have already done it a few dozen times -- but I am glad each time you invite me to do it again.

Is 66:23 states explicitly that the Sabbath is to be observed by ALL MANKIND for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth.

Mark 2:27 says the Sabbath was "MADE FOR MANKIND"

Gen 2:1-3 has the Sabbath given to all mankind in Eden.

Ex 20:11 points to the Gen 2:1-3 fact in legal code to establish the foundation of the Sabbath as given to mankind.

This question has been answered dozens of times already and the sad thing for the speculation you offer - is that this simple, obvious Bible detail is admitted to by the best scholarship in almost all major Christian denominations.

It just does not get any easier than this.

• Agree
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't have to worry about how to keep Saturday holy because we were never given the command to keep it holy. The command was given to one nation and that one nation was Israel. No one else has ever been given that command. We are free in Christ to worship any time we please. He is always in our memory because He gave His life to keep us from eternal death.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is 56:6-8 - gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping
And foreigners who bind themselves to the Lord
to minister to him,
to love the name of the Lord,
and to be his servants,
all who keep the Sabbath without desecrating it
and who hold fast to my covenant—
7 these I will bring to my holy mountain

Bob, you must believe I am an idiot and any scripture you post I will, without giving any thought, take it for granted you found scripture that tells gentiles we must keep Sabbath. Isaiah 56:6-8 doesn't cut the mustard my friend. Even in my idiot mind I see nothing about a command in those verses.

No wonder James quotes FROM THE TEN - in James 2 for ALL Christians - not "Just Jews"

No wonder Paul quotes FROM the TEN for Christians in Eph 6 for ALL Christians - not "Just Jews"

No wonder Paul quotes from THE TEN - for Christians in Rom 7 for ALL Christians - not "Just Jews"
Once again, no proof that God has demanded Gentiles and Christians are obligated to observe a day.

I have already done it a few dozen times -- but I am glad each time you invite me to do it again.
If you had I would not keep asking, but as you can plainly see you have not given a jot of proof.

Is 66:23 states explicitly that the Sabbath is to be observed by ALL MANKIND for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth.
That is not the here and now.

Mark 2:27 says the Sabbath was "MADE FOR MANKIND"
So, where is the command that Gentiles and Christians have to keep it? Again, you have failed.

Gen 2:1-3 has the Sabbath given to all mankind in Eden.
Please provide the verses that back up your claim.

Ex 20:11 points to the Gen 2:1-3 fact in legal code to establish the foundation of the Sabbath as given to mankind.
Really??? Where?

This question has been answered dozens of times already and the sad thing for the speculation you offer - is that this simple, obvious Bible detail is admitted to by the best scholarship in almost all major Christian denominations.
Hmmm! When I was an Adventist, all other churches were either the beast or the image of one. We are all Babylon. How can you trust Babylon for anything Bob?

It just does not get any easier than this.
Only in your mind. So far, I am not even able to give you a grade. I recommend you start your quest over. Quest: a search or pursuit made in order to find or obtain something

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if that gentiles would observe Sabbath too being shown in scripture passages is wiggled around, with the claim that there isn't any command for gentiles to observe it, my points are not dealt with. What about seeking God's higher will? What about God's own declarations? Sabbath Is holy, according to what Yahweh said. It means it is holy to Yahweh regardless of what any people are doing, whether they are Jewish or gentile. Nothing was ever said about observing Sunday instead, anywhere.

I do not see where in scriptures that I should not be obedient to the commandments, and rest on Sabbath, I see God said the Sabbath is holy, and that the Sabbath was made for man. God showed to rest on the seventh day of creation, before there were any of the people of Israel and even before there was the fall of man. I see the Sabbath spoken of abundantly through the Bible.

I see Paul's writing showing the law from God is good. What is called the ministry of death is about obeying the law to be saved. I don't do that, I don't personally know any others doing that, and it seems to be against rules to accuse others of doing that. Salvation is available just through Christ.

Upvote 0