How Powerful Is God?

God'sRider

Oct 10, 2004
✟322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have had several Pastors of different denominations state somehting like this "By his own rules , god has made himself powerless on earth unless we ask him to do something in prayer." Another way it has been said is "That by his own word, he cannot make anything happen on earth if someone doesn't pray for it."

This feels wrong to me. I fully believe that God has giiven the earth to man to rule and has sent Jesus to renew that right (Hebrews 2:5-9), but I don't see that he is powerless unless we ask him to intervene. He has prophsied what he would do many many times in scriptures; the bible talks of concequences on earth for blashemy or other transgressions (turning your body over to satan to die, while your spirit is still going to heaven); ultimately the return of Christ (not a man's prayer until God had promised it).

Thoughts?

Hisgirl

Loved into Heaven by a Violent Act of Grace
Aug 10, 2004
USA
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also pause at those statements.....oftentimes I want to raise my hand in the back and say,"Excuse me.....could you please give me the scripture reference for that statement."
What are some instances in the Word where God just up and did something without man first calling it into being?
What about the flood...somehow I have a hard time believing a man requested that one...:idea:
Doesn't He just do things because He is who He is and He chose to intervene?
This doctrine would imply God 'needed' man to do 'anything'....just who is in charge here?? Didn't God say all the world was His?

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Psalm 22:28 For the kingdom is the LORD's: and He is the governor among the nations.

Psalm 47:1-2 Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. How awesome is the LORD Most High, the great King over all the earth!

Psalm 71:5 For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth.

Psalm 95:3-7For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods. In His hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to Him. The sea is His, for He made it, and His hands formed the dry land. Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker; for He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, the flock under His care.

Psalm 96:10-13 Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; He will judge the peoples with equity. Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy; they will sing before the LORD, for He comes, He comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in His truth.

Matthew 10:29-30 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against Me, except it were given thee from above...

Acts 17:24-28 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, "For we are also His offspring.'

Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟11,391.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God'sRider said:
I have had several Pastors of different denominations state somehting like this "By his own rules , god has made himself powerless on earth unless we ask him to do something in prayer." Another way it has been said is "That by his own word, he cannot make anything happen on earth if someone doesn't pray for it."

This feels wrong to me. I fully believe that God has giiven the earth to man to rule and has sent Jesus to renew that right (Hebrews 2:5-9), but I don't see that he is powerless unless we ask him to intervene. He has prophsied what he would do many many times in scriptures; the bible talks of concequences on earth for blashemy or other transgressions (turning your body over to satan to die, while your spirit is still going to heaven); ultimately the return of Christ (not a man's prayer until God had promised it).

Thoughts?
I'm curious which Scripture those preachers use to say that God is powerless on earth unless we pray for him to do something.

Jesus taught us that "nothing is impossible for God"
Matthew 17:20; 19:26; Mark 10:27; Luke 1:37; 18:27

:groupray: NacDan

Upvote 0