• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How much time do you spend in God's Word daily?

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by stan1472, Jan 15, 2011.

1. stan1472

stan1472 Regular Member

+75
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Just curious. Me? I try to spend about 1/2 hour to an hour a day reading the Bible. I find that if I don't do this, my day/soul is not as enriched. Also where do you go to read? Besides Church, I spend my time in these places reading God's Word: Home, library, Barnes. Lately, Barnes has been my primary location for digging into God's Word. Yes, I do have coffee with it. :)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Obzocky

Obzocky Senior Contributor

+1,705
    Anglican
    Single
    Sounds good :)

Personally? Not enough at the moment, reading is sporadic and actually delving into understanding what is being read has been a very rare event indeed over the last couple of weeks. Need to get on that.

3. stan1472

stan1472 Regular Member

+75
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Also, this is a HUGE FYI, I heard it takes only 76 hours to read through the entire Bible! Yes, it's true. So if you spend one hour a day and read (instead of daydream), you can read the bible in 76 days. Not bad. :thumbsup:

With that pace, you can the read entire bible at least 4 times a year! Wow indeed..

4. JasperJackson

JasperJackson Sinner and Saint

+96
    Calvinist
    Single
    I started a Bible reading plan at the start of the year. It's the M'Cheyne plan and includes 4 different "streams". Typically there is one chapter per stream per day which takes about 20 minutes. Then throughout the day I may lookup certain passages that come to mind.

Where? Same as you Stan. Everywhere. Home, library, work, coffee shop, park bench, walking down the street.

5. JasperJackson

+96
    Calvinist
    Single

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  6. .Iona.

.Iona. I love Jesus!

+601
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Celibate
    UK-Greens
    I try to do at least 40-1hr of Bible study each day. Sometimes more depending on how I feel, and how much I need to be with God and learn. I want to start reading before bed too, I let that habit go, so now I want to pick it up again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
  7. Steffenfield

Steffenfield Well-Known Member

+833
    Christian
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
  8. wanelad

wanelad Newbie

+11
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Audio versions are great as can put them on C.D. or an Ipod and soak it up whilst driving. Someone may find this way interesting Professor Horner’s Bible Reading Plan « Pastor Brett

Personally I prefer to read slowly and soak it in, have also been using theology books of late to take me a little deeper into Gods Word. His word is the manner from heaven and through it we grow and manifest into his likeness. I only have another 99% to transform :clap:

Blessings all

9. crishmael

crishmael nothing but the rain

+1,270
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Daily?! :aarh:

*scuttles out back door*

I don't read as often as I used to, though thinking about it I've been reading it daily for the past few weeks. I don't have a definite time period I read, but I have been reading some every day. I suppose you gotta start somewhere.

10. Allen1901

Allen1901 King's Knight

+9,599
    Word of Faith
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The play time for audio Bibles will range from 70 (KJV) to 72 (NIV) hours.
    The New Testament will take 17 hours.

I try to read 10 chapters a day, but sometimes I get sidetracked.

God bless! :)

11. PeculiarTreasure

PeculiarTreasure Mishief Mangaged

+1,115
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I usually read the bible and pray about 30mins in my room. :)

12. stan1472

stan1472 Regular Member

+75
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks for some of the suggestions, audio bible is what I'll be looking into next. I'm also glad to hear some of you are daily reading, it's encouraging to know that. Like exercise, you'll get stronger the more you do it. :) And if you're having a hard time sleeping or just procrastinating sleep, I dare you to read at night. It will definitely take you to another level of rest/sleep and faster!:thumbsup:

13. scraparcs

scraparcs aka Mayor McCheese

+4,410
    Private
    Ditto here, though I'm still probably at maybe 8 days out of 10 still. Better than not picking it up for almost five years. :sorry:

Been doing about 10-15 minutes a day lately. My mind seems to wander after that.

14. JasperJackson

+96
    Calvinist
    Single
    I find praying while reading helps. Just talk to God about what you're reading.
    Pray-read-pray-read etc...

15. scraparcs

scraparcs aka Mayor McCheese

+4,410
    Private
    Praying puts me to sleep! ^_^

I know myself, if I try to force the issue of being more devoted to God too quickly, I burn out. I need it to become a small but growing part of daily life. Otherwise I'll be here six weeks down the road swearing that I'll be an atheist for the rest of my life.

16. JasperJackson

+96
    Calvinist
    Single
    :thumbsup:

17. Oddish

Oddish May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD.

+1,399
    Christian
    Single
    Not enough right now. Lucky if it is ten minutes. That is awful, I know. I'm suffering because of it.

18. Fenny the Fox

Fenny the Fox Well-Known Member

+239
    United States
    Christian
    Legal Union (Other)
    Much less than I would like, or should. Which is something I am trying to do differently.

19. stan1472

stan1472 Regular Member

+75
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    And here I am (right now) at Barnes, reading the Bible..

20. smacky ramone

smacky ramone Guest

+0
    I get in a few chapters of scripture in each day, along with some Oswald Chambers.