• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How much drugs does it take to cause memory problems?

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was just curious, I've been experiencing some short term memory problems, I am not sure if it is permanemt, but I was wondering how much drugs hypothetically?

I feel like it was mostly my curiosity with pharmacueticals to which I had given a chance, but I really wonder if that was the cause. I have known pwoplw who have seriously abused drugs and seem to function okay, so I wonder what the deal is???

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Some drugs like hallucinogens can distort your brain permanently with the first dose. A lot depends on the drugs, the frequency and dose, what is being taken together, and how the individual body processes the drug. Different bodies react differently to even the same dose and same med. Whether or not it is permanent depends on the same factors. Don't try. There is enough side effects that can go with prescribed medications that you need. Don't mess with what isn't broken...it might just break with the experimentation.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That depends on the drug.

Alcohol takes a bit, and the effect is pretty short-lived provided you're drinking like someone who isn't an addict.

It's pretty obvious that any amount of cannabis does it; the cannabinoids interfere with neural plasticity, and with the 7-14 day half life it lasts a lot longer than the time you feel high. Looking back it took at least six, maybe up to nine months for me to get past most of it after I quit. Like it or not, cannabis is really, really bad for you.

Hallucinogens certainly - sure, I remember my experiences while tripping but since there's no freaking way those trees were actually walking down the street then that makes a clear case that LSD, mescaline and psilocybin cause permanent short and long-term memory issues to some degree.

I did a lot of dope for about ten years, and while, yes, I function pretty well with 30 years clean I'm pretty certain that I did permanent harm to my capacity to learn new things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0