• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How mental health impacts your faith

hillis89

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thing to learn to do when thoughts are confused is to learn to think Scripturally. And this is why reading God's Word prayerfully day by day is so important.
That's exactly what I need to do . I know better but have all these questions . I need to stop doubting , thanks for the advice.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally, use my struggles as a way to further help others. As of the year 2000, I was diagnosed with different forms of bipolar (bipolar I, bipolar otherwise unspecified, bipolar with personality traits) and PTSD. At one point, it was hard for me to grasp what was going on with me and it was difficult to get past the struggles, therefore I made things difficult for those around me. I found myself at a lonely place, being consumed by the very thoughts that whirled a thousand thoughts per second in my mind. My past was haunting me at every corner and I was hospitalized 8 different times. 3 because I stopped meds.
After hitting an all time low in my life, I created a list of coping skills and started working overtime on taking control of my illnesses. It was much easier said than done, but has gotten easier over time. The PTSD was constantly setting off my bipolar and vise-versa. After training myself to get my mind altered on the coping skills, I found that doing so has helped in fewer and shorter episodes.
At one point, I considered it a curse. But, I now see it as a blessing, for living through what I have has made me understand others and gives me the opportunity to help them. Therapy is okay, but when someone has actually walked the same path, it is much more comforting when they actually know and understand rather than get it from a textbook.
I too, have gotten closer with God and am always reminded of where my strength really comes from, even on the bad days. :)

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
great stories here. our struggles contain hidden blessings! I came to believe and pray after I hit a bottom with my emotional problems and substance use. I was a chronically suicidal alcoholic with an eating disorder, anxiety and panic, and I lost a good job, apartment, and a boyfriend (not too much to miss there really, but it is humiliating to be left due to alcohol and emotional issues). I went on disability because I couldn't keep it together long enough to work. In the darkest point, when I had no one to care for me and no home, a man I met in a crisis center gave me a crucifix that was given to him by a priest and I began to pray. I had always been very opposed to Christianity and belief in God since leaving it as a young person but all of this suffering and struggle broke me. Things started to improve for me and I got help and went back to school but I still had doubts. I also had questions and an intense spiritual desire that I started to follow. This marked the beginning of what I think was the Holy Spirit really guiding me back to Christ, which is another story I suppose

I absolutely think that my struggles with depression and anxiety brought me to rely on Him, in time. i know it wasn't all meaningless. I even work in a job now where I give back to others (as a peer, in mental health). I still struggle but I have hope and (not perfect!) faith and it's different now... And I don't regret a thing I've been through because what I've gained is so precious...

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel the same way but I no longer want to leave this world just yet only when god takes me. You are not doomed you are just having a really hard time due to mental illness , this will pass you need to be strong no matter What so I guess I just answerd my own question about salvation I need to stop doubting and be strong no matter what . And don't give your self an option to quit just push through and hold on God knows what he's doing.

Romans 8 " no condemnation " God understands He is the one who made you. He loves. You and is proud of you. Maybe even more so then others who do not have this battle and still can not trust Him. Keep trusting Him. He will see you through.

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel the same way but I no longer want to leave this world just yet only when god takes me. You are not doomed you are just having a really hard time due to mental illness , this will pass you need to be strong no matter What so I guess I just answerd my own question about salvation I need to stop doubting and be strong no matter what . And don't give your self an option to quit just push through and hold on God knows what he's doing.

You got it! We cant base our salvation or relationship with God on our feelings. The way my feelings go up and down on a given day i would be a total wreck. I pray that Jesus touches you like he did me so that when you get those doubting Gods love for you feelings. Like i often do. You will know with out a doubt His love for you is real and stronger then your feelings

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
great stories here. our struggles contain hidden blessings! I came to believe and pray after I hit a bottom with my emotional problems and substance use. I was a chronically suicidal alcoholic with an eating disorder, anxiety and panic, and I lost a good job, apartment, and a boyfriend (not too much to miss there really, but it is humiliating to be left due to alcohol and emotional issues). I went on disability because I couldn't keep it together long enough to work. In the darkest point, when I had no one to care for me and no home, a man I met in a crisis center gave me a crucifix that was given to him by a priest and I began to pray. I had always been very opposed to Christianity and belief in God since leaving it as a young person but all of this suffering and struggle broke me. Things started to improve for me and I got help and went back to school but I still had doubts. I also had questions and an intense spiritual desire that I started to follow. This marked the beginning of what I think was the Holy Spirit really guiding me back to Christ, which is another story I suppose

I absolutely think that my struggles with depression and anxiety brought me to rely on Him, in time. i know it wasn't all meaningless. I even work in a job now where I give back to others (as a peer, in mental health). I still struggle but I have hope and (not perfect!) faith and it's different now... And I don't regret a thing I've been through because what I've gained is so precious...
Love this story. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You got it! We cant base our salvation or relationship with God on our feelings. The way my feelings go up and down on a given day i would be a total wreck. I pray that Jesus touches you like he did me so that when you get those doubting Gods love for you feelings. Like i often do. You will know with out a doubt His love for you is real and stronger then your feelings
SarahSmile1980:

Exactly. There are so many wonderful promises in Scripture to the believer - and those in Romans 8 are tremendous - and they are to be received by faith, rather than depending on feelings, which go up and down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums