• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How mental health impacts your faith

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How has your mental health, sickness or disability impacted your faith? I work with people with all kinds of disabilities. I have mental health issues in my family and suffer from depression and anxiety myself. I have seen God use our weakness for His glory and have seen some that seem to be too hindered by their disability or health to even develop any faith. My disability has made me have to depend on God more. Which has made me trust Him more. And has had a positive impact on my faith. And He uses that for me to help others with disabilities. Whats your story?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How has your mental health, sickness or disability impacted your faith? I work with people with all kinds of disabilities. I have mental health issues in my family and suffer from depression and anxiety myself. I have seen God use our weakness for His glory and have seen some that seem to be too hindered by their disability or health to even develop any faith. My disability has made me have to depend on God more. Which has made me trust Him more. And has had a positive impact on my faith. And He uses that for me to help others with disabilities. Whats your story?
I can't comment on the medical aspect directly but for people who trust the Lord and need peace of mind, John 14.1-27 and Psalm 46 are great passages.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Corrie ten Boom had a great and wonderful life testimony of Y'SHUA(JESUS) and included
teaching all ages (except men past their teenage years) and levels (and funny almost, to the embarrassment of pastors whose students paled in comparison ! ) .
She published a great little booklet called "Common Sense Not Needed" for those who are challenged, (it was still available online in the last year, I got a copy) ....

She vibrantly taught (JESUS' SALVATION) to many who others would not even try to teach.

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Corrie ten Boom had a great and wonderful life testimony of Y'SHUA(JESUS) and included
teaching all ages (except men past their teenage years) and levels (and funny almost, to the embarrassment of pastors whose students paled in comparison ! ) .
She published a great little booklet called "Common Sense Not Needed" for those who are challenged, (it was still available online in the last year, I got a copy) ....

She vibrantly taught (JESUS' SALVATION) to many who others would not even try to teach.
I love how she taught people the salvation of Jesus that others wouldnt even try to teach. I need to get that book. You would be surprised how simple or understandable the gospel can be. I have seen it taught to people with real severe disabilities and they get it. Child like faith.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My disability has made me have to depend on God more. Which has made me trust Him more. And has had a positive impact on my faith. And He uses that for me to help others with disabilities.
Same. :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My disability has made me have to depend on God more. Which has made me trust Him more. And has had a positive impact on my faith. And He uses that for me to help others with disabilities.
Attention direction motivation alert :) .
Did you "have to" ?
Did HE "make you trust HIM" ?
On and off line,
grievously and sorrowfully,
I see more people REFUSE to trust HIM
whether
because of
disability or another reason.
Many I see COULD RECOVER - and REFUSE TO -
since
they
get so much M O N E Y (and other 'things' like attention/ etc)
and
are
afraid more of losing the M O N E Y than anything else ! ! ! (in the usa mostly , since that's where I have lived for decades and seen this ongoing every day) ...

And sometimes (often ? ) people who are really and truly disabled
are "working HARDER" to live - to work - to DO something
than
those
just "diagnosed" with a "bad elbow" , "bad knee"(yes, FOR REAL! ) (to get diasability! ) , "bad back" (but they 'manage' to go fishing, hunting, shopping , playing, partying 5 days a week) .....

i.e. "bad eggs" oompa loompa ?? (with a convenient lawyer or doctor)

(from willy wonka's chocolate factory)

making it much much harder for the really sick and the rest of us too.

"Mental health" TOO! (for a few or many years, ALL someone had to do to get DRUGS and DISABILITY was to say they are depressed !!!! )

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you "have to" ?
He made me as well as me choosing to trust Him. It was a joint effort much like any other relationship. Everytime I took a step out on faith He showed up more.
My story: trying to make it short as possible. I was in learning disability classes all through school. I was diagnosed with dysnomia which is a mild form of dyslexia. I had classes with people with down syndrome etc. When I look back God was starting to direct me to work with these kind of people from the beginning. I got laid off from several office jobs then starting working with special needs. God gave me the privilege to work one on one with a girl that was blind as well as intellectual and mobil disabilities. She went to a day program run by a church called McLean bible church. She could tell you how much Jesus loved you and would sing while I walked her praise music. While riding on the bus with her i closed my eyes and said a quick prayer asking God what he wanted to do with my life. When i opened them a boy with down syndrome that was non verbal was smiling at me then pointed out the window for me to look. There was a big sign that said CNA. I went to school for my CNA. I had to pray every day. I had major test anxiety and never really liked school. I got all A's on my test. At the end there is a big test called the boards where a state certified instructer grades you on your skills and a written exam. I had to face my fears and trust God completely. I passed with flying colors. Now I work as a CNA in a nursing home/rehab facility. I have prayed for so many people and seen them get better and healed and also been there at the end of their life and seen them except Jesus. God has realy used me and it is such a privilege

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Attention direction motivation alert :) .
Did you "have to" ?
On and off line,
grievously and sorrowfully,
I see more people REFUSE to trust HIM
whether
because of
disability or another reason.
Many I see COULD RECOVER - and REFUSE TO -
since
they
get so much M O N E Y (and other 'things' like attention/ etc)
and
are
afraid more of losing the M O N E Y than anything else ! ! ! (in the usa mostly , since that's where I have lived for decades and seen this ongoing every day) ...

And sometimes (often ? ) people who are really and truly disabled
are "working HARDER" to live - to work - to DO something
than
those
just "diagnosed" with a "bad elbow" , "bad knee"(yes, FOR REAL! ) (to get diasability! ) , "bad back" (but they 'manage' to go fishing, hunting, shopping , playing, partying 5 days a week) .....

i.e. "bad eggs" oompa loompa ?? (with a convenient lawyer or doctor)

(from willy wonka's chocolate factory)

making it much much harder for the really sick and the rest of us too.

"Mental health" TOO! (for a few or many years, ALL someone had to do to get DRUGS and DISABILITY was to say they are depressed !!!! )
And yes there are people who just feed off the system and use their disability check to pay for their addictions.

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having depression and anxiety. I have HAD to trust God more. Because on my worst days He is the only one who gets me through. But He has also used this in me to reach others. It makes me more sensitive and understanding with others I have cared for in my CNA carear. And Im able to tell them how I have trusted God with this

Upvote 0

SarahSmile1980

Nov 8, 2016
Virginia, USA
✟8,326.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yes there are people who just feed off the system and use their disability check to pay for their addictions.
Its realy sad and it just makes them more disabled rather then sufficient. And yes those are the hardest to change or reach. Because more often then not they dont want to change

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hillis89

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been battling depression , anxiety and ocd for about 10 years. In 2014 I decided to accept Christ as my savior and become a Christian. In 2015 I made a lot of mistakes that made me question my salvation and with mental health issues it did not help . I know that I am saved and I have repented , it just weights heavy on my heart and mind . I've been going through a lot of spiritual attacks but I know that God is with me no matter what . I've changed in ways I thought I could never and still am and have still a long way to go. I do struggle with so much and I know it will be hard , but my faith in god even when I struggle and doubt still gets me through a lot.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been battling depression , anxiety and ocd for about 10 years. In 2014 I decided to accept Christ as my savior and become a Christian. In 2015 I made a lot of mistakes that made me question my salvation and with mental health issues it did not help . I know that I am saved and I have repented , it just weights heavy on my heart and mind . I've been going through a lot of spiritual attacks but I know that God is with me no matter what . I've changed in ways I thought I could never and still am and have still a long way to go. I do struggle with so much and I know it will be hard , but my faith in god even when I struggle and doubt still gets me through a lot.

Hi; good to see you; John chapter 14 is a great chapter that cab bring peace of mind and comfort to the believer.

Reactions: hillis89
Upvote 0

hillis89

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, thank you I saw one of your comments on a different post about reading john Ch 14 , I've had my bible open on that ch. For over 30 min now . then I came across a forum about a testimony that talked about having a sense false of salvation. Those thoughts keep coming back its also something I've struggled with I feel like its Satans way of making me feel like I haven't accomplished anything . I Don't wanna live in doubt and fear . when I think I've beaten something some how it comes back to make me feel a like its not true . I want to trust in God fully . All these doubt's and questions are bugging me.[emoji17]
Hi; good to see you; John chapter 14 is a great chapter that cab bring peace of mind and comfort to the believer.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, thank you I saw one of your comments on a different post about reading john Ch 14 , I've had my bible open on that ch. For over 30 min now . then I came across a forum about a testimony that talked about having a sense false of salvation. Those thoughts keep coming back its also something I've struggled with I feel like its Satans way of making me feel like I haven't accomplished anything . I Don't wanna live in doubt and fear . when I think I've beaten something some how it comes back to make me feel a like its not true . I want to trust in God fully . All these doubt's and questions are bugging me.[emoji17]

Hebrews 12.2 encourages us to keep 'looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the Cross, despising the shame'.

John's First Epistle - only 5 chapters but very intense - is all about assurance of salvation in God's beloved Son.

Upvote 0

hillis89

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 12.2 encourages us to keep 'looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the Cross, despising the shame'.

John's First Epistle - only 5 chapters but very intense - is all about assurance of salvation in God's beloved Son.
Thank you I really appreciate the help.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever experienced anything like doubting your salvation , its scary thought .

The thing to learn to do when thoughts are confused is to learn to think Scripturally. And this is why reading God's Word prayerfully day by day is so important.

Upvote 0

hillis89

Dec 2, 2016
US
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suffer from anxiety and depression. Horrible illness.

Some days, every day, i wish i didnt wake up! Nobody knows what it is like unless they have suffered it.
I feel the same way but I no longer want to leave this world just yet only when god takes me. You are not doomed you are just having a really hard time due to mental illness , this will pass you need to be strong no matter What so I guess I just answerd my own question about salvation I need to stop doubting and be strong no matter what . And don't give your self an option to quit just push through and hold on God knows what he's doing.

Upvote 0