• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

How many times do I need forgiveness

Discussion in 'Questions by Non-Christians (Archived)' started by Help-me-learn, Aug 30, 2002.

1. LightBearer

LightBearer Veteran

+42
    Jehovahs Witness
    It's interesting to get others thoughts on things.

Thanks.

2. SUNSTONE

SUNSTONE Christian Warrior

+206
    Non-Denom
    This has some truth to it, but it needs to balanced. So bare with me this will take a few posts.

3. SUNSTONE

+206
    Non-Denom
    Paul is talking about his sinfull nature here.

On the one hand he wants to sin, meaning he feels like sinning. The flesh is weak.

On the other hand he doesn't want to with his mind.

The flesh puts a spell of sorts on his mind, causing him to sin sometimes.
    "BUT I SEE A DIFFERENT LAW IN THE MEMBERS OF MY BODY, [WAGING WAR AGAINST THE LAW OF MY MIND] AND MAKING ME A PRISONER OF THE LAW OF SIN WHICH IS IN MY MEMBERS."

4. SUNSTONE

+206
    Non-Denom
    Paul told Cephas(Peter) why was he telling the Gentiles to live like the Jews, when Peter couldn't even live like the Jews.
    "We are jews by nature and not sinners from among the Gentiles"
    Does this mean they didn't sin?
    I think it means they didn't have the same sins as the Gentiles, the Jews had there own sins which is legalism. They even had the same sins as the Gentiles in the fact that they wanted to do them in there heart, but didn't.
    This was the cleaning of the outside of the dishs that Jesus was talking about. Jesus wants you clean on the inside.

5. SUNSTONE

+206
    Non-Denom
    "For if we sin wilfully after that we have recieved the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sin".

Now break this down.

Does this mean any sin?
    Does this mean we have to know every single law in the bible in order for us to repent for our salvation?
    Or does it mean that once we find out something is a sin, we can't do it anymore or else we loss our sacrifice?
    If the later is true, then how many times can we do that same sin, and be forgiven?

The key word in this scripture is "wilfully".
    That means that you know something is a sin, but not only does your flesh do it, but you think that it is ok in your mind to do it. You never confess it, you never fight it, in fact you welcome that sin.
    Paul told a church to kick out someone who married there mother-in-law or mother(I am not sure). And said this is something that should have not been done, kick him out, for I have judged such a one in my heart.

So why would he kick him out? And not himself, I mean Paul admitts that he does things that he doesn't want to do, in his sinfull nature?
    The difference is, that man got "married". In other words he welcomed that sin, he was never going to confess it. Think about it, everytime they have sex, or go for walks in the park, do you think they were sorry for it in the least? I don't think so.
    Paul said kick him out, and let satan destroy the body so that the spirit might be saved.

6. SUNSTONE

+206
    Non-Denom
    [...."The Lord, the Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."
    Moses made haste to bow low toward the earth and worship. He said
    "IF NOW I HAVE FOUND FAVOR IN YOUR SIGHT, O LORD, I PRAY, LET THE LORD GO ALONG IN OUR MIDST, EVEN THOUGH THE PEOPLE ARE SO ABSTINATE, AND PARDON OUR INIQUITY AND OUR SIN, AND TAKE US AS YOUR OWN POSSESSION." exodus 34:6-9

Moses has a trait that reflects Jesus in this scripture and in many others.

God totally understands you, and how weak you are.
    DO NOT CONFESS YOUR SIN FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
    Confess your sin and fight it, because God's ways are better than are ways.He only wants the best for you, thats why he doesn't want you to sin.
    Confess it to God, to each other, and pray for it.
    Get the Holy Spirit involved.

I believe that you don't have to stop sinning, I also believe you don't have to be blessed either.

7. HolyGuardianAngels

HolyGuardianAngels Merry Christmas Everyone

+68
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican

:wave:

If you keep sinning . . . you need to keep asking!!

I've seen a bumper sticker: just forgiven!!

That is: <<< "Presumption">>>

Sins must be confessed . . .
    I go to confession when I need to . . .

Truth:
    There exists NO once and for all time confession . . .

Happy Easter
    :angel:

8. Emmy

Emmy Senior Veteran

+789
    Salvation Army
    Dear Help-me-learn. After Jesus died and gave His Blood for us, we were forgiven, we were reconciled to God, the price to God`s Holy Law was paid. Jesus also told us how to pray, Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be your Name. Your Kingdom come, your Will be done on Earth, as in Heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our sin, as we forgive those, who sin against us, etc. etc. Here Jesus tells us, to ask forgiveness daily, and we do sin daily, perhaps not always in deed, but certainly in thought, or even word. We have the Lord`s promise, that we will be forgiven, if we ask for forgivenes, even if it is more often than 7 times 7, times 7. Only with the Lord`s help, will we sin less and less and less. We have many years to become more and more perfect, as God is perfect. I say this humbly and lovingly, Help-me-learn, and send greetings. Emmy, sister in Christ..

9. Rut

Rut All creation points to the almighty Creator.

+725
    Protestant
    Single
  10. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,317
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I don't believe that a Christian needs to continue to apply to God for forgiveness of their sins. 1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." This verse doesn't command us to ask for forgiveness, but to confess our sin. The word "confess" means "to acknowledge or agree with," which is what a Christian is to do in order to have the forgiveness, that is theirs already in Christ, applied to their sin. Simply acknowledging to God that what I did was sin cleanses me from the stain of that sin.

Some people suggest that we ought to ask for forgiveness because of what Christ taught his disciples to pray in Matthew chapter 6. However, Christ had not yet died for the sins of the whole world at that point, so applying to God for forgiveness of sins at that time was appropriate.

The fact is, Christ paid for sin once for all time (He. 10:10; 1 Jn. 1:7; 2:2). His payment was perfect; nothing more can be added to it to improve upon it or make it more complete. And this payment is applied to me at the moment I am saved. God forgives my sin for Christ's sake when I trust in him as my Saviour and the full application of that forgiveness is made whenever I humble myself and agree with, or confess to God that what I did was sin.

I don't ask God to forgive my sins. Instead, I confess my sin to God and thank him that because I am in Christ and he is in me my sins are already forgiven.

Peace to you.