Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
cling2thelamb said:
What do you mean by "Free State"?

He means the Republic of Ireland, well technically it is the State that existed just before the Republic.

Everything in the pinkish colour.

Upvote 0

Goatboy

Feb 17, 2006
The Attic
✟8,681.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
holysee said:
Scots, Irish, Welsh and Cornish folks are all Celts. So we can all unite in love and friendship. While loathing England.

;)

Firstly, youse lot is mostly just Celtic/Norse mongrels; just like us English are Celtic/Norse/Germanic mongrels.
:p

Secondly, while hating England has been an important part of your heritage for a very long time, we are still only an occasional international fixture compared to the ever popular local derbies. Or, as one commentator put it

“The Scots, during a brief period of peace with their arch enemies, the Scots, decided to invade Northern England.”

(For the record, my (northern) Italian grandmother claims to be Celtic, which geographically/historically is correct).

Upvote 0

Goatboy

Feb 17, 2006
The Attic
✟8,681.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
laterunner said:
Us celts originated in Germany & had concord with the great greek nation in early anglo saxon times.

Sorry,

Which great Greek nation?
When are early Anglo-Saxon times?
(C3rd AD?)

Enquiring minds want to know.:confused:

(I know Herodotus talks about the celts, but he's C5th BC)

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Goatboy said:
“The Scots, during a brief period of peace with their arch enemies, the Scots, decided to invade"

lol very true indeed - history shows that when we were going through a quiet period (or peace as some like to call it) we started fights mongst ourselves. A tradition that continues to this day. In the scheme I work in, there is a gang. They fight with neighbouring gangs. Yet, when the neighbouring gangs are not obliging them by hurling bricks bottles and weapons at them, they split into two seperate gangs and fight each other instead. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Rossi

And I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
Sep 17, 2004
Hong Kong
Visit site
✟17,233.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Paul_Norn_Iron said:
I was only winding them up. They're a lovely bunch of people.

I'll be venturing into the unoccupied 26 on Wednesday to the "Contae Chill Dara", first time in years I'll be amongst the great unwashed ;)

You really do like winding people up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zaire

Oct 5, 2004
✟2,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Goatboy said:
But, what are peoples feelings about this forums title;

UK - British & Ireland

Whass that about?
:scratch:

Surely Ireland is British (Geography)
but only partly UK (Politics)

Wouldn't; ROI & UK (for instance) be more accurate?
Haha :D
That was me that got this forum called that. It used to be called, UK - British & Europe. I didnt think it was very inclusive of the Irish, so i got it changed.
http://www.christianforums.com/t1786182-uk-british-europe.html

Upvote 0

Goatboy

Feb 17, 2006
The Attic
✟8,681.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Rossi said:
Well to be completely correct it would have to be ROI, and the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland!

Yeah, but if we go for the completely correct option we'll have nothing to argue about.

and where would be the fun of that?
;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rossi said:
I like the way you said "me" instead of my!
You truly are Irish!
Actually, I'm from Yorkshire, and have always said "me" as in .. "this is me mam, me dad, me brother and me sister." Of course, since I was college educated and have lived in the US quite a long time, I don't say that any longer .. except for when I call my family in the UK and fall back into dialect and say things like "I nearly wet meself" and "you should have seen me face".

Claiming Irish blood meself as me maternal grandparents are from County Waterford and County Down. Yup, I'm Oirish.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Goatboy said:
But, what are peoples feelings about this forums title;

UK - British & Ireland

Whass that about?
:scratch:

Surely Ireland is British (Geography)
but only partly UK (Politics)

Wouldn't; ROI & UK (for instance) be more accurate?
Actually, I take issue with the naming for other reasons. Shouldn't that be Britain and Ireland OR British and Irish. The people are British, not the country.

Upvote 0