• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How long since you last self injured? (4)

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I often self harmed because no one was listening to me. But sales work required that I had to make my voice known.

I had to learn how to speak up and to negotiate and to get what I wanted, such that for every objection a customer had to not purchase something, I had a reasonable argument or come back as to why they should purchase the item.

This helped me to stop harming.

I learned to speak up instead of having the silent scream come out all over my self/body.

This skill transferred over to real life for me in that I learned to advocate for myself, to file complaints to make phone calls, to take action to stop the original source of the pain, or at least make inroads at finding resourceful ways to deal with them, such that there was no longer a need to self harm.

Getting some skills this way, (my job), was a surprise, but it worked.

ps-My staff and myself did a lot of in service days where we role played with each other, and practiced our arguments and comebacks.

if you find yourself stymied at how to deal with ppl driving you to self harm, this type of job or at least in customer service might help.

Does this make sense?

It can help with feelings of being helpless....you learn that you are not helpless!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Congratulations!!! I wish I remembered my exact date, but alas. Keep it up! :)
I remember the date where I was and even a little of what the trigger was (though that is not as clear now).

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simon/Rock

God is Truth. "Seek and ye(you) shall find."
Dec 28, 2019
Eureka
✟13,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.