How limbs form from genes

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A35EDD83-2D91-4219-B21B-D3F45318D222.jpeg
The details ! It’s a film by a developmental biologist and goes over how genes get reused to form limbs in bilaterians. It’s about 40 minutes long and with that sexy title it won’t be hard to find

• Informative
Reactions: Occams Barber

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had to look it up on Youtube, found a link that worked better for me:

Yet another homology argument from a Humanist, that's novel. Nature as a tinkerer, I guess he did find at least an appealing analogy.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But this IS how genes work to form limbs . Evo Devo is fun because they can recreate an ancestral form by tweaking the genes in a modern organism. This means that they can work out the steps involved in how organism A evolved into organism B

Thanks for the link

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
View attachment 255008 The details ! It’s a film by a developmental biologist and goes over how genes get reused to form limbs in bilaterians. It’s about 40 minutes long and with that sexy title it won’t be hard to find

I remember coming across the concept of biological exaption in an article I read around 40 years ago. The metaphor used to explain it was based on the dome of a typical medieval cathedral. The structural arches of the dome come together and in the process leave open triangular areas of the internal dome surface between the arches. These openings came to be used as the locus for religiously themed paintings or exotic patterning. Although not initially designed for painting, they became 'exapted' (i.e., co-opted) for artwork. Looking at the incredible artwork in these church/mosque domes it's easy to imagine that the dome was specifically designed to house the art.

Bricolage and deep homology are concepts I hadn't come across - thanks @Brightmoon.
OB

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
( Snip)

Yet another homology argument from a Humanist, that's novel. Nature as a tinkerer, I guess he did find at least an appealing analogy.
did you actually watch the video? He summarized a lot of complex information that biologists know that maybe laymen don’t

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
did you actually watch the video? He summarized a lot of complex information that biologists know that maybe laymen don’t
I browsed it, if I were taking it seriously I would have went to the paper it's all based on. Really don't have the patience for it these days because it's tiresome to do the reading to have the conversation to be reduced to pedantic rationalizations. If he identified the genes I didn't see it but then again, I didn't spend a great deal of time sorting it out.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He did identify the genes but you probably skipped over that part as their individual names aren’t important to briefly summarise how limbs form . This is decades old research no reason to reinvent the wheel. There’s a whole slew of genes that work to produce limbs

Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
. This means that they can work out the steps involved in how organism A evolved into organism B
i dont think so. they cant tell how many mutations are needed to such a transformation. unless you can show that number.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i dont think so. they cant tell how many mutations are needed to such a transformation. unless you can show that number.
For some traits they can show the genetic steps as to how it formed. Some genetic step are missing if the lineage is very old . This why it was such a shock when we realized that the make-an-eye-here gene was the same in all bilaterians and that it still worked in other species than the one they got it from

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It would be hard to do because mutations aren't the only cause which generate the randomly distributed phenotypic variation on which natural selection acts.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How many licks does robot-penguin take to get to the center of the tootsie-pop?

Upvote 0