How Is A Person Truly Baptised With The Spirit?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In the face of the many views and opinions surrounding the baptism with the Spirit, we need to give a clear set of principles that ensure that when a person seeks the baptism with the Spirit, he or she is getting the real thing and not some kind of false experience in which they think they are baptised with the Spirit when they are not. We see many Youtube videos where groups of people have shown what they believe are the effects of the filling of the Spirit. We have seen people jerking, shaking, maniacal laughing, drunken behaviour, falling down, and speaking in what they call tongues, as well as uttering "prophecies" that contain religious "buzz words" but actually say nothing of significance. Comparison has been made of the type of kundalini behaviour within pagan Hindu gatherings, and it is observed that the conduct is exactly the same as is seen in Charismatic groups that feature the conduct. Are these people really baptised with the Holy Spirit? Well, let's see the Scriptural steps in order to enter into it.

Firstly, a person needs to be truly converted to Christ. How does he?
1. He experiences conviction of sin where he realises that he is lost in his sins, already condemned and deserving of hell, and that God is angry with him every day, and if he continues in the direction he is going, he will end up in hell. Unless he is enlightened about this, he has not reached first base regardless of how religious he becomes.
2. He accepts and believes the true Gospel which shows him that Jesus Christ bled and died on the Cross to take the punishment for sin upon Himself. He knows that believing the Gospel is needed to flee from the wrath of God to come to the only Person who can save him: Jesus Christ.
3. He receives Christ as Saviour and repents of all known sin, forsaking the works of the flesh, developing a hatred and fear of sin, and a love for righteousness and holiness.
4. He seeks God with all his heart for the Holy Spirit to work conversion to Christ within him which is the transformation to where he can say that he is a new creature, old things have passed away, and all have become new.

This what true conversion to Christ really is. The problem is that many claiming the baptism with the Spirit have little or no knowledge of the Gospel which I have just described. If they don't know what the Gospel is all about, they are just pretending to be filled with the Spirit, because the Holy Spirit will only be within a truly converted believer who has received the righteousness of Christ. The tragedy is that most if not all Charismatic groups that feature the kundalini type manifestations do not preach the true Gospel, and treat Jesus as some kind of comfort blanket or just a friend who will just accept them as they are without them making any effort to repent of their sins and seek Him for true Holy Spirit conversion to Christ. Often they are not born again, and consequently they are not Christian according what the true Gospel points out.

The baptism with the Spirit does not come with a group surrounding a candidate, laying hands on them and teaching them how to speak in tongues, getting him to make random sounds faster and faster until he is speaking some kind of gibberish. What follows is how the baptism with the Spirit is actually received:
1. He or she must know beyond doubt that the baptism with the Spirit is God's will for them.
2. They must ask for it. This is a Scriptural principle for receiving anything according to God's will.
3. They must tell the Lord that they receive it. God hands it out to them upon them asking, but the person takes it out of God's hands by faith through saying, "I receive it."
4. They then can know they are baptised with the Holy Spirit, not according to any kind of experience or sensual feeling but because they have taken Scriptural steps and so God's Word says that because they have asked and received, they have it according to God's Word.
5. At this point they become aware that they can speak in tongues, so they step out in faith saying words and sounds, and then the flow of the Spirit comes out of them in an articulate and expressive language. They are not taught to speak in tongues. It is the flow of the Spirit like a river of living water that comes out of their innermost being.

I firmly believe that the only way that a believer can have the guaranteed assurance that they are baptised with the Spirit and have the true gifts of tongues and prophecy is that they have come through the conversion to Christ process and then used the Scriptural steps to receive the baptism with the Spirit.

I know that there are those who believe that they should receive the Holy Spirit through some spontaneous process without any action of faith on their part. But I believe that anything we receive from God is through acting in faith on the promises of God's Word.

The Scripture says that if we repent of our sins and receive Christ we will be baptised with the Spirit. It seems that the conversion process seems fairly strict without variation of choice, but isn't this is what entering into the strait and narrow gate is all about. Bypassing the conversion process is like coming over the wall instead of through the gate.

• Informative
Reactions: Lost Witness

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very Informative Post.
I never spoke In tongues when I was baptized by the LORDS Holy Spirit and I felt him Quite Vividly,
I was overflowing in my experience. ( Hallelujah!!)
I was Filled with Living Water from head to toe, Swirling and Shimmering like the Top of a Calm Body Of water, and for 3 Days I Burnt. It kinda made sleeping at night difficult.
I had No prior knowledge of any of what i was experiencing, I just recalled the Holy Spirit being Called "living Water"

I do remember very vividly the night before having "it's Done" come to my mind

I also Prayed Because I didn't want to Leave My Boys Without a "Dad'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Very Informative Post.
I never spoke In tongues when I was baptized by the LORDS Holy Spirit and I felt him Quite Vividly,
I was overflowing in my experience. ( Hallelujah!!)
I was Filled with Living Water from head to toe, Swirling and Shimmering like the Top of a Calm Body Of water, and for 3 Days I Burnt. It kinda made sleeping at night difficult.
I had No prior knowledge of any of what i was experiencing, I just recalled the Holy Spirit being Called "living Water"

I do remember very vividly the night before having "it's Done" come to my mind

I also Prayed Because I didn't want to Leave My Boys Without a "Dad'
The significant thing is that you have the ability to pray in tongues whenever you decide to step out in faith and try to form a language. For some it usually happens when they are praying for someone or over an issue and they run out of words and the spirit of prayer is still on their hearts and so they ask the Lord to give them more words to express their prayer. Then when they continue to pray the unlearned language bubbles up from within them and comes out of their mouths. It is usually accompanied by a release of the Spirit, like clearing a blockage allowing the Spirit to flow freely out of them in prayer and worship. Often the reaction in the person is that they should have started speaking in tongues years ago and they wonder what the fuss was all about.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For some it usually happens when they are praying for someone or over an issue and they run out of words and the spirit of prayer is still on their hearts and so they ask the Lord to give them more words to express their prayer.
Okay something like that i'd Trust as I view my prayer very 'safe' I guess? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Okay something like that i'd Trust as I view my prayer very 'safe' I guess? :scratch:
When you are in your private prayer time where God is the only listener, then any prayer has to be totally safe. It is only when one is influenced by emotionally charged meetings, hypnotic music, and strange doctrinal preaching, that prayer can be compromised. But when it is only you and God in your private bedroom, then the only influence you would have is the Holy Spirit. You can step out in faith and start speaking in a language you have never learned in prayer to God because there is no one around to hear and embarrass you with criticism or ridicule when they accuse you of babbling gibberish. You will find that you will be praying a definite language so fluent that you will know that you are not making it up, and the flow of the Holy Spirit out of you to the Lord will assure you that He understands and appreciates what you are praying to him.

• Useful
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Watchman1. with love forgive me not here to offend. The way I received the sweet sweet holy Spirit was exaclty how it was in Peter and John, Pauls day. It was in a bible study and they would always say "if we say anything that is not written in the word of God do not believe us". Your not talking about a group of sinners your talking about the sweet sweet holy Spirit and comparing " jerking, shaking, maniacal laughing, drunken behaviour, falling down, and speaking in what they call tongues," to "has been made of the type of kundalini behaviour within pagan Hindu gatherings, ".

I will not touch the sweet sweet holy Spirit. I will not compare it to some work of the devil. You made some prerequisites as to what one must do in order to receive the sweet sweet holy Spirit. I can't find any of that in the word of God.

So to any believer you can simple ask the Father to give you the holy Spirit Luke 11:13 and He will give it. See no believer can receive a another spirit or the word of God is a lie. God can not lie. If God said to "them" who ask. You used the word drunken behavior yet its written "For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day." Yeah how would drunk people look? Well all that were they thought they were drunk. Their behavior was that of someone drunk.

See what happen to me goes against what you said yet what happen to me was exactly how it happen in the word of God. In that bible study they asked if I wanted the holy Sprit so I said yes. If right then you asked me what the holy spirit was? LOL no clue.. they asked I said yes. So I did sit in a chair people gathered around put hands on me and he that lead that bible study only read what the bible said about the holy Spirit then asked me again if I wanted it. I said yes he then prays.. it was so short then just stopped and said "that's it you got it". Now no one said a word nothing happened. I felt nothing. See they did only what was written. The rest was up to God. So I go to sit down and BAM! Tongues game out. Oh praise GOD GLORY GLORY TO JESUS.. I could dance! It was oh just as Christ said. You shall receive power after? Just like the 120. How I was the day before that saved yet on now its like day and night.

Exactly like in Acts.. they had never heard of the holy Spirit. No tests to make sure they were saved and repented No had to know about the holy Spirit . Read it.. "And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism. Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus"

That was all Paul said. Oops what did they really receive? Well from what I read they didn't ask. Where they even saved? See we can here run with speculation. Oh HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD! God knew the heart of these. Knew they wanted it. Its like talking about salvation yet a simple "remember me" your in. You just call on His name your saved.

So anyone want the holy Spirit if you know Christ read Luke 11:13 and.. do what He said not anything I say. Don't believe me. You seek you study you pray you find this out for yourself. Always make sure its written. Again I am not good with words so.. not here to offend in anyway. Just asking if we make these kind of statements chapter and verse should always be used.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Watchman1. with love forgive me not here to offend. The way I received the sweet sweet holy Spirit was exaclty how it was in Peter and John, Pauls day. It was in a bible study and they would always say "if we say anything that is not written in the word of God do not believe us". Your not talking about a group of sinners your talking about the sweet sweet holy Spirit and comparing " jerking, shaking, maniacal laughing, drunken behaviour, falling down, and speaking in what they call tongues," to "has been made of the type of kundalini behaviour within pagan Hindu gatherings, ".

I will not touch the sweet sweet holy Spirit. I will not compare it to some work of the devil. You made some prerequisites as to what one must do in order to receive the sweet sweet holy Spirit. I can't find any of that in the word of God.

So to any believer you can simple ask the Father to give you the holy Spirit Luke 11:13 and He will give it. See no believer can receive a another spirit or the word of God is a lie. God can not lie. If God said to "them" who ask. You used the word drunken behavior yet its written "For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day." Yeah how would drunk people look? Well all that were they thought they were drunk. Their behavior was that of someone drunk.

See what happen to me goes against what you said yet what happen to me was exactly how it happen in the word of God. In that bible study they asked if I wanted the holy Sprit so I said yes. If right then you asked me what the holy spirit was? LOL no clue.. they asked I said yes. So I did sit in a chair people gathered around put hands on me and he that lead that bible study only read what the bible said about the holy Spirit then asked me again if I wanted it. I said yes he then prays.. it was so short then just stopped and said "that's it you got it". Now no one said a word nothing happened. I felt nothing. See they did only what was written. The rest was up to God. So I go to sit down and BAM! Tongues game out. Oh praise GOD GLORY GLORY TO JESUS.. I could dance! It was oh just as Christ said. You shall receive power after? Just like the 120. How I was the day before that saved yet on now its like day and night.

Exactly like in Acts.. they had never heard of the holy Spirit. No tests to make sure they were saved and repented No had to know about the holy Spirit . Read it.. "And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism. Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus"

That was all Paul said. Oops what did they really receive? Well from what I read they didn't ask. Where they even saved? See we can here run with speculation. Oh HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD! God knew the heart of these. Knew they wanted it. Its like talking about salvation yet a simple "remember me" your in. You just call on His name your saved.

So anyone want the holy Spirit if you know Christ read Luke 11:13 and.. do what He said not anything I say. Don't believe me. You seek you study you pray you find this out for yourself. Always make sure its written. Again I am not good with words so.. not here to offend in anyway. Just asking if we make these kind of statements chapter and verse should always be used.
Asking for the baptism with the Spirit is in God's Word. Use your concordance to look up the reference to these Scriptures:

"If an evil father knows how to give good gifts to his children, how much more does the Lord give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

"If we ask for anything according to the will of God, He will give it to us."

"He that asks, receives".

"Be not anxious for anything but by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God and the peace of God that passes all understanding will keep you hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

"You have not because you ask not".

Therefore, asking for the baptism with the Spirit is right there in the Scriptures. You might not have realised it, but at some stage you did ask for the baptism with the Spirit and when you had hands laid on you, you received it.

Upvote 0

brodav9@thicket

Feb 2, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only way to receive properly the Baptism is to follow the pattern, this keeps from confusion. When we speak in tongues to receive the baptism, we are using faith and that is without human reasoning. In 2 Cor 1:22 Eph. 1:14 The Spirit is called the earnest and it seals us to God. 1. have a cleansed heart and 2. faith brings forth. it is not us making noise . God will confirm as we wait on him.

Upvote 0

brodav9@thicket

Feb 2, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only way to receive properly the Baptism is to follow the pattern, this keeps from confusion. When we speak in tongues to receive the baptism, we are using faith and that is without human reasoning. In 2 Cor 1:22 Eph. 1:14 The Spirit is called the earnest and it seals us to God. 1. have a cleansed heart and 2. faith brings forth. it is not us making noise . God will confirm as we wait on him.

Upvote 0

brodav9@thicket

Feb 2, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
follow the pattern, this keeps from confusion. When we speak in tongues to receive the baptism, we are using faith without reasoning. In 2 Cor 1:22 Eph. 1:14 The Spirit is called the earnest and it seals us to God. 1. have a cleansed heart and 2. faith brings forth. it is not us making noise . God will confirm as we wait on him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

We have to remember that the Holy Spirit is God, equal with Jesus and the Father. He is not a fool who has no self control. Because He is not an idiot, those who behave like idiots are not filled or motivated by the Holy Spirit. Those who are truly filled with the Spirit show the image of Jesus in their lives and conduct. Jesus never fell on the ground rolling around with uncontrolled babbling, jerking, shaking or uncontrolled laughter. If I was taking a service and people started behaving in an idiotic way, I would tell them to stop insulting the Holy Spirit by behaving like idiots and take control of themselves. The Holy Spirit is a Holy Spirit, and so those who are filled with the Spirit are holy, self controlled, reflecting the nature and character of Jesus. The presence of truly Spirit filled people causes unconverted folk to become convicted of their sinfulness and their need for Christ. They show the power of the Holy Spirit when they share the Gospel with the unconverted and see them turn to Christ.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
3. They must tell the Lord that they receive it. God hands it out to them upon them asking, but the person takes it out of God's hands by faith through saying, "I receive it."
4. They then can know they are baptised with the Holy Spirit, not according to any kind of experience or sensual feeling but because they have taken Scriptural steps and so God's Word says that because they have asked and received, they have it according to God's Word.

Oh hey Oscarr,... when did you become word of faith? That's what you are espousing here, a word of faith type teaching.

The filling of The Holy Spirit is an experience in our Christian lives just like being born again was an experience, just like the anointing upon your head is an experience, elsewise we are trying to just believe things in our mind without an answer from GOD.

Is that how you are trying to live out your Christian walk nowadays,.... by just trying to believe things into existence without an actual answer from heaven?

Upvote 0

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It is very important to live according to The Spirit. You have to literally die and ressurect with Christ (baptism) and receive the seal of The Holy Spirit (Christmation/Pentecost). This way, you are truly the New Man that Christ was. You died to sin and resurrected with God in Heaven. Otherwise, we live according to the world and flesh being subject to death, and Christ's salvific plan has no effect. What is the point of Christ dying and resurrecting for us, if we live, suffer and die like before? Having The Spirit we no longer suffer and we are Illumined directly by God.

Upvote 0