godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
This is a question for 'theologically liberal' Christians. I was just wondering how important theology is to you?

How important is it to you that the Bible claimed Jesus walked on water?

How important is it you that Jesus turned very little bread/fish into a meal for thousands?

How important is baptism/communion to you?

And questions like that etc.

Do you care about the nitty gritty of theology or do yo look for a church that you believe is loving and accepting? Finally, do you struggle with any theology that your church teaches?

Sorry for the non-specific questions hahah. Also, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was hoping for updated personal answers if possible. I also hope you're having a wonderful day :) :)

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This is a question for 'theologically liberal' Christians. I was just wondering how important theology is to you?

How important is it to you that the Bible claimed Jesus walked on water?

How important is it you that Jesus turned very little bread/fish into a meal for thousands?

And questions like that etc.

Do you care about the nitty gritty of theology or do yo look for a church that you believe is loving and accepting? Finally, do you struggle with any theology that your church teaches?

Sorry for the non-specific questions hahah. Also, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was hoping for updated personal answers if possible. I also hope you're having a wonderful day :) :)

Who is Jesus? Why should I care? What did he do? Why are his deeds significant?

Can one answer those questions without theology?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Vital... Just miraculous!... This one takes the cake.

I believe the one about the loaves of bread "takes the cake" as it were, while the one about walking on water is "just miraculous!"

Gotta get your theology straight, Paul. :doh::doh::doh::doh:You're not taking it ciriusly enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a theology junkie. Theology is very important to me. I think it's also important to the Church. Bad theology can and does lead to problems in lives, and in the lives of nations.

Historically liberal Christianity has had strong Biblical scholarship and theology.

However there's also a tendency that reacts to the complexities of theology and exegesis by deciding that we can never know anything, and settles for a kind of vague commitment to love. This tendency is not unique to liberal Christianity. It's also alive and well among Catholics and evangelicals. But some people confuse it with genuine liberal Christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm a theology junkie. Theology is very important to me. I think it's also important to the Church. Bad theology can and does lead to problems in lives, and in the lives of nations.

Historically liberal Christianity has had strong Biblical scholarship and theology.

However there's also a tendency that reacts to the complexities of theology and exegesis by deciding that we can never know anything, and settles for a kind of vague commitment to love. This tendency is not unique to liberal Christianity. It's also alive and well among Catholics and evangelicals. But some people confuse it with genuine liberal Christianity.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! For the record, I wasn't trying to imply that liberal Christians don't care about theology at all. I hope no one infers that from the OP.

Do you agree with all your church's theology? Is there room for disagreement?

Upvote 0

wheatpenny

Quaker/Independent Catholic (dual affiliation)
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2017
York, Pennsylvania
✟61,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Theology is very important to me. I know that we are saved by Grace thru Faith alone, but what we believe, even if it won't assure us of salvation, is important. I believe God wants us to know Him, and one of the best ways to accomplish that is to learn correct doctrine.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Theology and the study of scripture is very important. In fact, I would say that part of the reason why I am theologically progressive is due to how seriously I take scripture. I think when you have a serious, critical approach to it you can comfortably say "Ok, that's wrong, this is actually true."

• Agree
Reactions: Apex
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I truly enjoy studying theology. It's one of the things I love about my church - our priest is a theologian and works this into his sermons regularly. In addition, we often have adult classes that are theology-heavy.

In my church there is room for open, honest discussion which I think is great. This was sorely missing when I used to attend a conservative evangelical church.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think theology is very important. Bad theology can create very negative experiences for many people, causing them to have a negative view of God and Christianity.

I think the "Good news" should be "Good news". NOT "Bad news", "authoritarianism", bigotry, "saying people will be roasted in hell forever" and other negative experiences disguised as Good news.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would also say that I enjoy theology very much and think having good theology is super important to the church but also to every private christian. Just so that we'd share the gospel correctly and that we'd apply it to our lives correctly as well. I do believe the Bible is true and quite many things we'd best interpret literally. Such as the loaves and fishes etc. After all, if we believe that our Lotd and saviour Jesus Christ literally died and was literally rescurrected for us real people, then why would we not believe he could feed 5000 men with a little boys meal? And yes, the news need to be told so that no one would have to live without having the chance to hear them. If we go on preachong others a vague blahblah and forget Jesus then we have nothing to offer. So yes, keeping the Bible and a good interpretation thereof is super important to me.

But sometimes choosing your battles for the sake of love is also quite vital. There are lots of things that can be discussed and even disagreed upon without necessarily having to start disrespecting someone, or theowing them out of church. After all, not many theological issues are salvational ones!

Upvote 0

TheGoodLight

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
PA
✟412,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Communion policy played a major role in leading me away from a conservative denomination and over to the UMC. At this point, I would be more likely to attend a service that doesn't do the sacraments (e.g. Quakers/Society of Friends) than to attend a service that does closed table communion.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Theology was very important to me in my younger days, but not so much anymore. I believe that the most important thing is to love God and love my neighbor. As far as the theological differences between Protestants, Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox, it matters little to me.

• Friendly
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums