Visit site
✟436,180.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I don't like about these e-books pushed in the West is their (the companies') seeming efforts to control content on their machines - certainly that goes for Kindle and Sony, at any rate.

I just got a Ukranian L-book. It has its down-sides, and I don't know anything yet about "books" for it, but it can read darn-near any format out there. (For some reason, some of my docs and pdfs have limited ability to zoom, for example).

I have mostly stuff that is copied from public domain, anyway. (I've got a large portion of GK Chesterton's enormous library, for example)

CS Lewis had a rule to always read at least one old book before reading any modern book (the idea being to help keep one from being caught up in modern fashions of ideas).
Read old books!!

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've heard things about Kindle and Sony on the content control. That's one of the reasons I'm going with Nook.

Do you mean the inability to "lend" books to friends using Kindle or Sony? I'm not aware of any sort of "content control" otherwise...

Not sure how you're using the terms.

I'm thinking about getting one of these devices so I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you mean the inability to "lend" books to friends using Kindle or Sony? I'm not aware of any sort of "content control" otherwise...

Not sure how you're using the terms.

I'm thinking about getting one of these devices so I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
I've heard, that with Kindle at least, if Amazon breaks a contract with a publisher or whomever, then the book might disappear from your eReader even though you bought the "book".

I totally agree with C.S. Lewis, people should read at least as many old books as they do new ones. My house is crowded with books and only a portion of them are technically curricula...the rest is every variety of non-fiction and fiction there is. I love my classical literature and theology books. With all the free classics out there and even some modern lit being offered for free, then add the amount of storage on the Nook (that can also be upgraded to hold even more), I could clear out some shelves AND have the books accessible in one easy to carry place.

Upvote 0