Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So I've been pondering the MT and LXX more as far as the OT is concerned, and one similarity I see is that Presbyterians like GK Beale really utilize the LXX to the nth degree in their analysis, and I really like it. Whereas as a Lutheran, a lot of the commentaries on the OT stick to the MT only, with only the odd cross reference to the LXX. This is interesting to me because in Orthodoxy, the LXX is the main source for the OT, so in that way, it combines the best elements of both Lutherans and Orthodoxy into it's thinking as far as OT commentaries.

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was baptized as a Presbyterian when I was three years old. I don't remember it of course and have only attended non-denominational churches since I was seventeen. I have nothing against denominations personally, but I prefer non-denoms. To each his or her own. :)

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The beginning of Presbyterianism was a movement..
- during the 16th century Protestant Reformation.
---
The form of church government..
- by representatives of elders
---
Theology (emphasis)
-The authority of Scripture.
- The sovereignty of God.
- The necessity of grace through faith in Christ.
---
There are many camps in Presbyterianism.
---
I was involved in Presbyterian churches..years ago.
- PCUSA & PCA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
what I don't understand about Lutheranism is how they can just baldly state the MT is superior even for prophets in the 800--- 700 BC time period when they still wrote in Paleo - Hebrew before the switch to Aramaic block script in 586 BC; it's ridiculous when the LXX already existed. Greeks and Phoenicians were trading with the ancient Egyptians in the Nile Delta all throughout this time period. Since Paleo-Hebrew is close to Phoenician it would be easy to translate it from Phoenician to Greek as it was. This extends even to little minor facts like the denial that Jonah took a Phoenician ship to Tarshish in Spain and the fact that there are literally no Egyptologists or North-west Semitic scholar Lutherans who specialize in Phoenician; I think fundamentally what happened was the LXX was originally in Attic Greek but was updated to Koine for the LXX in 200 BC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0