• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

How fast can you read a book?

Discussion in 'Young Adults' started by LadyOfMystery, Jun 8, 2012.

How fast can you read a whole book?

1. 1 hr to 1 day - short/med length

2. 2 days to 1 week - short/med length

3. 2 weeks to 1 month - short/med length

4. 1 hr to 1 day - long length

5. 2 days to 1 week - long length

6. 2 weeks to 1 month - long length

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LadyOfMystery

LadyOfMystery Heart of Gold Supporter

+7,821
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    So.. how fast can you read one? Does it depend on length?

If its longer/shorter than the times specified for short/med/long lengths please share how long/short you can read them in. :)

Also note theres options for long and short/med lengths of books.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Puptart

Puptart Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)

+80
    Muslim
    Married
    CA-NDP
    Pretty fast, but the thing is I have a latent ability to scan pages of books and pick out the pertinent information. I can get the "gist" of a story without reading every word.. I generally am not captivated by fiction books so whenever I'm reading one, this is typically what I do. The only time I will read every word of a book is when it is non-fiction. Otherwise, I prefer movies :p

I'd say I can finish a medium length novel in a half-day and be very solid on the story and characters, despite not having read every word. I haven't read many long novels so I really don't know in that regard.

Non-fiction? It'll take me several days to get through a book because I'll be interested in retaining the information.

3. Mrs. Luther073082

Mrs. Luther073082 Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3

+1,220
    Lutheran
    Married
    I can read them really quickly. If it is a good book, I can't put it down. Unfortunately, I don't get to read these days due to being so busy. I have days off (like today), but if I were to start reading something that's all I would get done :sorry:

4. SparkyMaddie

SparkyMaddie Luceat Lux Vestra

+15,751
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    I took the Evelyn Wood reading program senior year :) It helped. I mastered quick reading although some readers with adha cannot comprehend. Worked for me.

5. twnsrkr

twnsrkr Guest

+0
    Depends on the length of the book, but I can read a 300-400 page book in a day. Just depends on how aggressively I read it.

6. Tink

Tink our God is faithful. ♥ Supporter

+2,208
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I read all four Twilight books in four days, so I consider that a long novel in one day. There you have it. :D

7. kittysbecute

kittysbecute Pokémon Master

+3,184
    United States
    Protestant
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    I can read them fast. So I voted 1 hour to 2 day for both. But I don't normally choose to read them that quickly.

8. drjean

drjean Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,427
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I read 650 words per minute IF I have the book in hand. I need to slow to about 500 wpm for good comprehension. "Electronic" reading is even slower with comprehension worse.

9. MissLogicalThinker

MissLogicalThinker Newbie

+1
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    An hour to a day for both. :)

10. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,625
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I take my hat off to anyone who can read a long book like The Lord of the Rings in a day.

11. LadyOfMystery

+7,821
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Me too! Im still on the 1st book... :p

Wow you guys can read really fast. I usually read a short/med book to around a week and a long book around 2-3 weeks.

12. crishmael

crishmael nothing but the rain

+1,271
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    An hour to a day for both, though I usually don't do that because I've come to value close reading. Though it is helpful for class readings. :)

13. LadyOfMystery

+7,821
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Thats fast! I dont know how y'all do it. lol

14. RN4CHRIST

RN4CHRIST Contributor

+182
    Baptist
    Married
    I read the Hunger Games Trilogy in one weekend. The Lord of the Ring Trilogy took me a week, but that is because I followed the footnotes and the appendices for each section.

15. Wren

Wren Well-Known Member

+2,194
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    It depends on the type of book. I read Sookie Stackhouse books in one day (and about the same length of time for each Twilight book), but The Help took me about a week because it's not fluff. I can't read a book non-stop anymore. I like to take breaks and go for a walk, clean, or go online. Plus, I'll constantly stop what I'm reading and think about it...which is partly why the more serious books take longer for me. I don't like to read quickly, unless I'm reading something that I don't enjoy and have to read it for some reason. I read books to take them in and enjoy them, not to read for the sake of reading.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  16. Nienna_Lady_of_Tears

Nienna_Lady_of_Tears Veteran

+165
    Other Religion
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I have read all the way from The Hobbit to the end of The Lord of the Rings in 9 hours.

I also read Harry Potter books 4 and 5 in 12 hours.

17. crishmael

crishmael nothing but the rain

+1,271
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    It's a spiritual gift like sarcasm and pranking. :p

18. LadyOfMystery

+7,821
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    Haha Okay, makes sense! :p

19. Amber.ly

Amber.ly Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical

+1,484
    Christian
    Single
    I think that Hunger Games took me 2 hours. A HP book is probably 3 hours.

20. PizzaParty

PizzaParty Guest

+0
    I like to read entire books in a day as I do not like the story in my head to be interrupted. If I dislike the writing style then the book will take me longer as I will only read a few pages a day when pretending to ignore people.