How does unanswered prayer make you feel?

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God told Hezekiah to get his house in order "for thou shalt die, and not live" (Isaiah 38:1). In other words, seeing how Hezekiah was going to die, God told him to leave things in order for those who would follow after him. We see this same principle earlier in scripture:

"And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his @ss, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father." - II Samuel 17:23

As far as what Hezekiah asked/prayed for is concerned, you can read his actual prayer in Isaiah 38:9-20. Hezekiah did ask the Lord to "undertake for me" (Isaiah 38:14) and to "recover me and make me to live" (Isaiah 38:16).

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's prayer is GOOD and a very eloquent, precise but complicated one that includes every aspect of prayer imaginable. Address "Our Father , who art in heaven" Praise,"hallowed be Thy Name", Hope, "Thy Kingdom come", Obedience "Thy Will be done on earth as it is in heaven" but since it is a good prayer but in this GOOD prayer is also Supplication "Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses... Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil" and a Goal for our own Behavior "as we forgive those who trespass against us." . So even in the model prayer though the more weighty and perhaps important matters are handled first ,it would seem that a large chunk of it is concerned with pleading with God to do things for us. So if we wish to pray, and we ought to as a given of being a Christian , as long as we emulate the entire Lord's prayer, asking God for things is not only perfectly fitting but omitting it would be leaving out one of the elements Jesus considered important enough to include Himself. As you say we should not pray for that which is in direct opposition to the Will of God. For myself , I am not at all certain exactly what the Will of God is in all things, certainly to pray for another to sin or for ourselves to sin would fall into the category of praying for a thing that contradicted God's Will. Other than that, however, I cannot say I know for certain what prayed for thing would do that. I do not think that God would take offense or find our prayers unworthy if, in our ignorance, we were to ask for a thing that did not conform to His Will.
I'm not suggesting that we should not pray the desires of our heart. If they are our desires, God already knows it and prayer should be prayed in honesty. My point was addressing the OP's question of why some prayers seem to go unanswered.
I don't see prayer as ever being unanswered (but that's just my view).I think there are many times they are answered even though we can't see it and sometimes it's just not on our timeline.
But then I might be a bit odd as I see death as the true ultimate healing (depending on your destination).
Earthly healings, I view in another way. Often I hear, God was merciful as he saved that person from death. I agree with that but not for the person being saved from death but rather those who would have mourned that person.
So often I ponder that shortest verse in the Bible: Jesus wept. I'm making no statement as to why He wept as I'm still pondering it. Still I know what healings are for. To show the glory of God as the main point.And yes, mercy and goodness in contained in that glory. And yet, Christ is sufficient.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I didn't say that He was subject to me!

He CAN allow us to have choices
without compromising who He is.

God does not "allow"; God determines.

God does not come to know our choices; we do.

God cannot come to know anything, not even in advance.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And then we have this truth: It is appointed to man once to die. When God decides it's your time, He has decided.
Good prayer is not all about us getting our desires answered (yes I know He can give us the desires of our heart but I said GOOD prayer.) When Christ was asked how we should pray, He showed us. I note a part of that prayer: Thy will be done....
His will should always be the desire of our heart. Lest we pray amiss and against the very will of God.

The desires God fulfills are the ones He gives us. It is through prayer that we receive our desires.
Prayer does absolutely nothing toward the fulfillment of those desires.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Through prayer, God gives us the desires of our heart, then God fulfills those desires.

Prayer does absolutely nothing toward the fulfillment of our desires.

God does not respond to prayer; we do.
God does not answer prayer; we do.
Prayer does not change God; it changes us.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God does not "allow"; God determines.
According to you.
IF it's God's will for you to resist the devil,
and you sin rather than resisting,
then He DID allow you to choose.
God does not come to know our choices; we do.

God cannot come to know anything, not even in advance
:thumbsup:
God knows all.

Through prayer, God gives us the desires of our heart, then God fulfills those desires.

Prayer does absolutely nothing toward the fulfillment of our desires.

God does not respond to prayer; we do.
God does not answer prayer; we do.
Prayer does not change God; it changes us.
God does respond to prayer,
it's a theme all throughout Scripture.
What you believe is your business,
but for those lurkers, we need to
find out how that really works,
because God says to pray at all times
FOR the saints.

And he said O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray you, send me good speed this day, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water: 14And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down your pitcher, I pray you, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give your camels drink also: let the same be she that you have appointed for your servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that you have showed kindness to my master.
And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher on her shoulder. 16And the damsel was very fair to look on, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up

Prayer changed something
He prayed
God heard
God answered

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves,
and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways,
then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

:pray::preach:

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
According to you.
IF it's God's will for you to resist the devil,
and you sin rather than resisting,
then He DID allow you to choose.

:thumbsup:
God knows all.

God does respond to prayer,
it's a theme all throughout Scripture.
What you believe is your business,
but for those lurkers, we need to
find out how that really works,
because God says to pray at all times
FOR the saints.

And he said O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray you, send me good speed this day, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water: 14And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down your pitcher, I pray you, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give your camels drink also: let the same be she that you have appointed for your servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that you have showed kindness to my master.
And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher on her shoulder. 16And the damsel was very fair to look on, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up...

Prayer changed something
He prayed
God heard
God answered

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves,
and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways,
then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
:pray::preach:

Prayer changes us not God.

All that is is because God is actively willing that it be, including evil.

The "he prayed God answered" paradigm you describe is called a condescension.
An author may also have a "character ask author answer" paradigm,
but that is not a dialog; it's a condescension.

God is much more, and we are much less than you are now left to believe.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God never changes.

God is actively willing that you sin?
That is correct.

Evil, that which is contrary to God's nature, serves a very good purpose.
Evil is not evidence of limit to God's sovereignty; it is evidence of good purpose for evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you find it odd that He wrote in stone
THOU SHALT NOT...
steal
lie,
covet,
commit adultry,
when He really wants us to sin?

:idea:

The law is not about us; It's about God.

All that is is because God is actively willing that it be.

God's purpose for God's creation is the revelation of God's glory.
God's creation is God's definition of God's glory.
A thing is defined just as much by what it is not as it is by what it is.
Evil serves a very good purpose.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The law is not about us; It's about God.
No, the law wasnt for us, but He did say
"Thou shalt not lie"
they did lie.
Was it because He wanted them to?
Why did He say don't but then made them do it?

Sorry, that's nuts.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, the law wasn't for us, but He did say
"Thou shalt not lie"
they did lie.
Was it because He wanted them to?
Why did He say don't but then made them do it?

Sorry, that's nuts.

It's not nuts; it's unfair, but it's not unjust.

Sin and salvation are employed by God to reveal what He loves and what he hates, how He punishes and how He for forgives. They reveal God's mercy and His wrath, etc.

God's glory is the way in which none of God's attributes ever violates any other of His attributes.
God's creation is God's revelation of God's glory. This creation, with sin and salvation, serves that purpose perfectly.

All that is is because God is actively willing that it be.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not nuts; it's unfair, but it's not unjust.
It's illogical and it's nuts lol.
It's either His will for me TO sin
or it's His will for me to flee FROM sin.

I can't find any Scripture to show that it's God's
will for us TO sin. Please advise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mandelduke

Oct 17, 2010
Choctaw Ms
✟8,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please note that I'm not wondering why a Christian's prayers go unanswered. And I'm aware that some folks say that all prayers are answered, but sometimes the answer is "no". I'm asking how you feel when it appears God isn't answering your prayers or is answering them all with a "no".

For example, I had (have?) a good friend who is an atheist. I've prayed for him countless times over a period of years; I've fasted; I've taken him on church retreats; I've witnessed to him. Nevertheless, God has not seen fit to open his heart to salvation.

Another example: I have a chronic illness that makes it virtually impossible to serve more. I have prayed for release countless times over a period of years; I've availed myself of all known therapies (that I can afford); I've been anointed with oil and had the church pray over me. Nevertheless, God has not healed me.

These experiences, and many more like them, have made me an anemic pray-er. Other than being obedient to Scripture, I don't see the point in praying if nothing is going to change as a result. It's probably even safe to say that I've become bitter because of the apparent lack of action on God's part.

So, how does unanswered prayer make you feel? Does it motivate you to change somehow, or does it make you feel like giving up?

I have never had an unanswered prayer, but I do not think I would like it!

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's illogical and it's nuts lol.
It's either His will for me TO sin
or it's His will for me to flee FROM sin.

I can't find any Scripture to show that it's God's
will for us TO sin. Please advise.
You're correct. That would be nuts. sin is never God's will. We may well learn from our sin and God may well allow us to learn from it, even allow evil to confront us, but He does not will sin. Quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

tianaevanson

Jul 13, 2013
✟15,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey dear, you can sometimes feel that your prayers are not being answered. But that's not actually true. We feel so because we don't know what's His plan for us. It may be possible that He is trying to make you strong in that situation. I always think this way whenever I feel that my prayer is not being answered. It makes me feel strong and more confident about myself. Also, it strengthens me to face the situation with wisdom and understanding. Just be positive and believe that whatever He does is for your betterment. You'll definitely feel the change.

Upvote 0

Going Merry

‏‏‏‏ ‏‏‏‏
Mar 14, 2012
✟16,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When I feel like I don't deserve it, I don't get it. I may be doing badly, and perhaps have sinned often during that period. But I don't think that way anymore. I know I had miracles happen, things answered within moments of prayer. I remember how that happened. I had no doubt, instead of that feeling of "waiting to see" instead I felt like I already received it, or rather will receive it and thanked God honestly. Then I got it. On the other hand I was behaving spectacular during those times and refraining from everything sinful minded. I believe the main thing God looks at is our hearts and thoughts.

It doesn't take much effort tbh. God will answer. Even speaking directly to my own heart which melted any fears away when in the hospital struggling. The holy spirit is very unique, and well its obvious when you have it. at this time i honestly havent felt such a thing in awhile because i have been disobedient. when i am obedient it feels like my heart clears out though lol. but the fountain experience is probably the best moments in my life

Upvote 0