Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

‘Guardian angel' is a modern term. But there's plenty from Scripture we can use to shed light on these important creatures and their job.​

Guardian angel is a modern term, and it would strike biblical audiences as rather surprising.

The term angel (Hebrew, mal’ak; Greek, angelos) means messenger, and a messenger and a guardian are different. Talking about guardian angels—guardian messengers—would be a little like talking about dentist messengers or accountant messengers.

St. Augustine famously writes:

The angels are spirits. When they are simply spirits, they are not angels, but when they are sent, they become angels; for “angel” is the name of a function, not of a nature. If you inquire about the nature of such beings, you find that they are spirits; if you ask what their office is, the answer is that they are angels. . . . Make a comparison with human affairs. The name of someone’s nature is “human being,” the name of his job is “soldier.” . . . Similarly some beings existed who were created by God as spirits, but he makes them angels by sending them to announce what he has ordered them (Expositions of the Psalms 103:1:15).
The Bible uses other terms for non-human spirits that aren’t functioning as messengers. Sometimes high-ranking ones are called “sons of God” (Hebrew, bney Elohim) or “princes” (Hebrew, sarim)—as opposed to low-ranking spirits who run errands and deliver messages.

However, since low-ranking spirits have contact with humans, we encountered messengers frequently, and during the Christian age the term angel started being applied to every non-human spirit other than God.

Continued below.

Reactions: SashaMaria

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I discovered my heater melted off the front which was evidently plastic [and screws came out] with some kinda flame - and it was supposed to be fake flames - and my white throw rug has a black hole burned into it in my bedroom...

Yeah, that's how they work. :praying:
Thanks be to God the Almighty, through Jesus Christ.

• Prayers
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The term angel (Hebrew, mal’ak; Greek, angelos) means messenger, and a messenger and a guardian are different.
Michael is the messenger, and Gabrial is the warrior angel. We most likely have one of each. I had a dream about my daughter in Heaven. There were two angels in the dream. One assigned to protect her. The other angel was assigned to read the book of her life and educate her to become the person God created her to become. (Psalm 139 16) We are given all of our gifts, talents, and abilities at conception. We need to use what we have to bring praise, honor, and glory to God.

Upvote 0