Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How do you learn to walk in love? That's something I need to learn, but it's so against my nature. I guess it's pretty much against everyone's nature, but I'm really struggling with the concept. I want to be more loving and caring to other people, but I'm not sure how. How do I begin? What do I pray? I need some help and tips on how to get on that path. I want to learn, I just need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do. Thanks in advance.

Ainustorm

Jul 18, 2007
✟7,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How do you learn to walk in love? That's something I need to learn, but it's so against my nature. I guess it's pretty much against everyone's nature, but I'm really struggling with the concept. I want to be more loving and caring to other people, but I'm not sure how. How do I begin? What do I pray? I need some help and tips on how to get on that path. I want to learn, I just need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I need to do. Thanks in advance.

Deep question... Love is a challenge. You are right it isnt natural desire to love. In fact selfishness is what is natural. HHHmmm... how to become more loving. Praying that Jesus could teach you on how to love. Another idea, get a book on Christlikeness love... i am sure there is a devotional book out there. The Bible... well check out the Gospel. Look at the example of Christ. Who else is better to learn from. As for me... well i like King David, why? well he was a man after God's own heart. Read the Psalm books. One important thing, before you read scripture... pray. Asking God to teach you about love in these scriptures you read. Another good example of love in to ways of love read the book of Ruth.
That is all i can think of right now, God Bless! Have questions ask me :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

alan650

Oct 19, 2006
✟25,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suggest always remembering that love is an action and not a feeling. Commit the action even if it's hard or against your nature. Start by intentionally finding kind things to do for people and when you keep intentionally doing kind things it gets easier and easier. Jesus helped the poor and was there for the needy so he is our ultimate example of what it means to walk in love. I know that donating to charity on a reoccuring basis is a way I try to help the poor since I "can't" go and help them head on. Of course that's just one example of many things you could do to wallk in love.

Upvote 0
B

BrBob

Love is a comittment. To 'walk in love' requires that you conciously (at first, it will be come subconscious) choose to do the loving thing. Sometimes it is a harder love than others as when kids need discipline, and sometimes it just requires talking to someone you may not agree with.

Christians can easily get caught up in religiosity and come across as judgemental and harsh when they try to keep themselves untainted from the world. The problem is that by so doing, they blow off people who need them. Walking in love can mean spending time with homosexuals or drunks. It doesn't mean we need to agree with them or condone their actions, we can just accept them as they are. I have a homosexual brother-in-law who tries hard to offend us at times. We simply talk to him like we would anyone else. He knows good and well that we will not condone homosexual activity at our house but he also knows that he and his boyfriend are welcome there.

So, that's a little of my understanding of the subject

God Bless
Bob
Spearfish, SD

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
The simplest definition I have heard of love explains how to walk in love.
"Love is wanting what is the best for the one that you love"
I did not say it was easy, but it is easier to understand what needs to be done.
:preach:

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Love is a natural emotion.

When a person cannot feel Love for others, it is because she doesn't want to.

If a person is committed to feeling Love, and sets the EGO aside, then a person can feel Love ... it's that simple.

I ask: "What emotion do you feel around most people?"
This is the MOST important starting point.
So, please tell us.

Upvote 0

OceanFloor4

Jan 8, 2007
✟15,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Keep in mind that Jesus did not instruct us such that we have to *like* everyone. There are some people that you may not like - they may get you annoyed, frustrated, or they may test your patience,...etc. Don't focus on how other people make you feel - that has nothing to do with love, since love isn't a feeling. Instead, consider that to love someone is a willful choice. Whoever you're thinking about, God loves that person just as much as He loves you - in fact Jesus loved that person to death (literally). Try to look at other people the way that Jesus would. If you find yourself in a state of mind where you wish bad things to happen to people, then stop and pray for that person instead, that God would draw them closer to himself and that God would use that person for His great purposes. Whenever you find yourself having the wrong attitude towards someone else, just stop and pray. It doesn't even matter really what you pray about - but I've found that this makes a world of difference.

Upvote 0

Armistead

Veteran
Aug 11, 2007
NC
✟2,439.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Christ said love fulfills all the law, so how do we walk in love. Paul explained it as " to do no harm to another".
Yes, we are to be loving in our actions, but that doesn't mean going around exclaiming love and so forth.

You can keep this command,,not harming others. That is the key. What habits or actions do you have that would harm others. Those are the things you need to change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TexasBluebonnet

This world has nothing for me...
Feb 27, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX :)!!
✟25,629.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Keep in mind that Jesus did not instruct us such that we have to *like* everyone. There are some people that you may not like - they may get you annoyed, frustrated, or they may test your patience,...etc. Don't focus on how other people make you feel - that has nothing to do with love, since love isn't a feeling. Instead, consider that to love someone is a willful choice. Whoever you're thinking about, God loves that person just as much as He loves you - in fact Jesus loved that person to death (literally). Try to look at other people the way that Jesus would. If you find yourself in a state of mind where you wish bad things to happen to people, then stop and pray for that person instead, that God would draw them closer to himself and that God would use that person for His great purposes. Whenever you find yourself having the wrong attitude towards someone else, just stop and pray. It doesn't even matter really what you pray about - but I've found that this makes a world of difference.

Wow, you're really smart. I need to start remembering that when I'm in a situation that requires me to react with kindness and love. It's hard because like myself and others have pointed out, it's not really human nature to do that. Human nature is to hurt when you've been hurt. That post makes everything more clear to me now. In fact, I read it just after someone slammed in another post here and it really hurt my feelings and I was getting mad at that person. So, your words of advice came at the right time for me. I appreciate you sharing your insights with me. Thanks for the post. It was very helpful.

Christ said love fulfills all the law, so how do we walk in love. Paul explained it as " to do no harm to another".
Yes, we are to be loving in our actions, but that doesn't mean going around exclaiming love and so forth.

You can keep this command,,not harming others. That is the key. What habits or actions do you have that would harm others. Those are the things you need to change.

Well, my temper comes to mind. I'm working on controlling what I say, but sometimes it's hard. For one thing, I'm not really used to that and for another sometimes my German/Irish/Scottish temper gets the best of me. And then there's just my attitude. My temper fuels any kind bad attitude to others I might have. I think I just need to stop and take time before reacting in an anger. I really want to change and these posts have been very helpful in that endeavor. Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. :)

Upvote 0