How do you take knowledge from the head to the heart?

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For example, Identity, if I wanted to believe in my heart my identity, and thus be free of all insecurity, How would I go about doing that? someone might say

"meditate on scriptures regarding your identity" but I have tried that and nothing shifted inside me.

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example, Identity, if I wanted to believe in my heart my identity, and thus be free of all insecurity, How would I go about doing that? someone might say

"meditate on scriptures regarding your identity" but I have tried that and nothing shifted inside me.

...Ben, I don't know of anyone who is 'free' of all insecurity. I have insecurities. I know other Christians who have expressed insecurities of various kinds. These feelings of inadequacy and uncertainty aren't something that will just go away for us if we enact some specially prescribed thought or action.

So, in essence, knowledge for me isn't the holding of some inviolable truth that can't fail, but rather having a generic sense of assurance that I'm heading in the right direction. Each of us is a work in progress in all modes of our common humanity as we stand before God. So, I don't think it should be our primary goal or expectation to think we can find a perfect formula by which to arrive at some definable point of certainty in life. Even the apostle Paul, who was big on accentuating the importance of biblically contextualized notions of Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding, said that:

Philippians 3:12-16 New International Version (NIV)

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.​

Upvote 0

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Ben, I don't know of anyone who is 'free' of all insecurity. I have insecurities. I know other Christians who have expressed insecurities of various kinds. These feelings of inadequacy and uncertainty aren't something that will just go away for us if we enact some specially prescribed thought or action.

So, in essence, knowledge for me isn't the holding of some inviolable truth that can't fail, but rather having a generic sense of assurance that I'm heading in the right direction. Each of us is a work in progress in all modes of our common humanity as we stand before God. So, I don't think it should be our primary goal or expectation to think we can find a perfect formula by which to arrive at some definable point of certainty in life. Even the apostle Paul, who was big on accentuating the importance of biblically contextualized notions of Wisdom, Knowledge and Understanding, said that:

Philippians 3:12-16 New International Version (NIV)

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.​

well if you met someone who was chronically insecure about themself, to the point of total self rejection, what would you say?

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
well if you met someone who was chronically insecure about themself, to the point of total self rejection, what would you say?

(Ben), I believe we all are who we are for a reason.. Warts and all, each individual is given a purpose by God. Some people have a heavier lift trying to understand (& come to terms) with who they are. But, I think that just requires more courage & patience. Always keep in mind you have God-given purpose, don't reject yourself too quickly or harshly (I struggle with fixating on my sins & shortcomings..). And nobody is even close to perfect.. Stay up man..

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Strangely enough our weakness can be a gift, it makes us more dependent on our Lords grace and love.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Somewhere in Scripture it is written that God reaches us, teaches us, changes us first in spirit, in heart,
and that gradually the "mind" is renewed learning the Way and words for the things of the Spirit.

Thus a lifetime of meditating might result in just another religion, opposed to God, instead of LIFE.

LIFE , JOY, etc, is all a GIFT from GOD, regardless of intelligence , when anyone comes to Him, accepting Him and His Kingdom His Way by FAITH (also a GIFT, so GRACIOUSLY)...

GIFTS God gives to men, unearned, undeserved, unmerited. FREE GIFTS, SHEER GRACE,
CHRIST CRUCIFIED FOR US !

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I would say that it be important for you to seek counseling if you are chronically insecure about yourself, that way you and a professional counselor
can look deeper into what things/circumstances that could of caused and or could be causing such insecurities.
It ain't always good to get into deep personal things online, specially if you
already are wounded/suffering/barely keeping it together...so don't put yourself out there to be wounded further by others who only be on here to make trouble/
make you feel worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yep, "love your neighbor as you love yourself"
That has nothing to do with your identity..atleast i dont think...maybe it means love others how you want to be love and treated...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That has nothing to do with your identity..atleast i dont think...maybe it means love others how you want to be love and treated...
Yes, and also shows identity with Christ, since only by and in Him, His Grace, are we able to even know Love and show Love to anyone. Without Him we are totally powerless to do anything good or right.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and also shows identity with Christ, since only by and in Him, His Grace, are we able to even know Love and show Love to anyone. Without Him we are totally powerless to do anything good or right.
So is that what that verse means?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ben Collyer

Apr 26, 2017
Hastings
✟35,657.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Love neighbors as yourself? Im confused about the identity part..

We are only able to love others as much as we love ourselves, if our identity is rooted in negativity, we then dont love ourselves and so cant love others fully

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Love neighbors as yourself? Im confused about the identity part..
It's all interwoven inseparably, all together, in a believer's life in Jesus, as from the op>
For example, Identity, if I wanted to believe in my heart my identity, and thus be free of all insecurity
and the previous post just now >
We are only able to love others as much as we love ourselves, if our identity is rooted in negativity, we then dont love ourselves and so cant love others fully
So
also without Christ as our LIFE, the GIFT of SALVATION from the FATHER in heaven to us in Him,

then we have no identity except 'of the world'/ carnal nature/ sinful and unsaved.
(very negative, yes, of course, even if or when it 'appears' kind - outside of Christ it is negative/ no life, no true love).

In Christ, abiding with Him TODAY, His Life given for us on the cross , and being now alive in spirit in Him, (for real, not just in the mind/ thinking ) ...
THEN BECAUSE HE LOVES US, we can love others as He tells us and leads us to love others (a choice and a choice TO love by the will, a choice to DO what He says, what is good and helpful and right, not by emotions and not run by feelings) ...

• Agree
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Ok. I guess i didnt understand what ben was asking
Another way to ask the question might be : WHO do people see when they see you working anywhere ? Do they see "Jesus" in your actions/ deeds / life ?

That is the goal of God our Father, to make His Life our Life, His Identity One with our identity.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another way to ask the question might be : WHO do people see when they see you working anywhere ? Do they see "Jesus" in your actions/ deeds / life ?

That is the goal of God our Father, to make His Life our Life, His Identity One with our identity.
Of course..lol

Upvote 0