How do you spot a true Christian?

blueskies001

Apr 8, 2011
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can we tell whether a person is a true Christian or not? Just pondering. Because we only see their outward actions and what they say, we don't know what is in their heart, so can we tell whether a person is a true Christian? We only see their actions and speech... Are actions necessarily a reflection of what is in the heart (eg. people behaving a particular way that doesnt reflect what they truly think), and does what is in the heart necessarily get reflected in action? (eg. people who are shy sometimes can't let their actions show who they are)
Or in other words... Are humans good judges of other people's integrity and character and what another person is like? Because doesn't it take a long time to get to truly get to know a person? I bet we've all heard stories where people thought they knew a person, but were surprised to discover that they had a different side.

Want to know what you think!

Anihilus

Jul 10, 2009
✟8,217.00
Faith
Baptist
“Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit." Matthew 12:33 ESV

The bible lays down clear marks of a true Christian, where if a person does not show those marks they are not saved. For example, read the book of 1 John.

How a person speaks shows what is in their heart.

"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Matthew 12:34 ESV

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless." James 1:26 ESV

Also, read 1 corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21

There Bible clearly says in the passages above that if you fall into one of these categories you are not saved.

Also, outward morality and religiousness is not a sure sign of being a Christian either. There are plenty of moral, bible reading, praying-everyday, church going people that will go to hell. A good example would be the Pharisees.

There are many people who are like the guy in the video below before he was saved.

Hope these things help.

YouTube - Are You Trying to Reform Yourself or Are You Born Again?

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
holes in the palms of hands, and generally halo, look about them.
Bringthe Halo to the head by doing this:
1. Xu Ling Ding Jin – Empty Mind and Raise Head; Keep the head upright, as if suspended from above, and keep it straight; Head upright to let the shen [spirit of vitality] rise to the top of the head
Maintain an upright posture, an upward energy at the top of the head, and a feeling of lengthening through the spine. Slightly push your chin back to straighten your neck. Your neck must be straight to allow your head to be vertical. This allows the shen to arrive at the crown of your head. Don’t use li, or physical strength, as this will cause stiffness and hinder the qi circulation. Try to visualize the qi reaching the top of your head. Imagine your head is suspended from a thread, or a string of pearls, from above.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not trying to be evasive, but....in order for one to think they can spot a "true Christian" requires one to have a preconceived notion of what a "true Christian" looks like.......

The Bible has much to say about what a follower of Jesus looks like. Since they have God's Holy Spirit dwelling within them, they will come to demonstrate the fruits of the Spirit which are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance (Galatians 5:22-23).

With the new heart that God gives them and a renewed mind Christians will love their neighbors as themselves (Romans 13:9): For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. They will also love God and in loving Him keep His commandments (and since this always comes up from those who think obedience is an attempt to earn salvation, the works that God enables us to do are a result of and clear sign OF salvation).

Because we only see their outward actions and what they say, we don't know what is in their heart

As already pointed out by Anihilus, by what the mouth speaks we can know what is in ones heart (and by the fruits of course).

Upvote 0

Rhayven

Jan 2, 2010
✟15,278.00
Faith
Christian
Being a true Christian isnt about how bright your face is or how big your"halo" is.. Cmon guys...

Christians is being "Christ-like" So being a true one of those is being close to what Jesus was and before He left, He said the most important commandment is to "Love one another" so being Christ-like isnt about some halo it's about the love that Jesus is and sharing it with other people.

Even if we fail, God still forgives us. Nobody is perfect nor is anybody is without sin. Until Jesus comes back we are all imperfect because of sin. So all we can do is just be filled with love and through love people can see Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Syrokal

Church of Starry Wisdom
Aug 5, 2004
Sunderland Houghton Le Spring
Visit site
✟642.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think Paul washer said it well

"The Sign of a Christian is not that he once repented, but that he continues to repent today"

I think if your constantly striving to better yourself, live the word, and atone for your sins then your a True Christian.

Upvote 0

Anihilus

Jul 10, 2009
✟8,217.00
Faith
Baptist
I think if your constantly striving to better yourself, live the word, and atone for your sins then your a True Christian.

I don't know if you know this or not, but what you just described is the essence of false religion. So I just want to point some things out to you to think about.

Apart from the Holy Spirit you cannot make yourself better, period.

"For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." Romans 8:13

Also, it is not those who try to live the word...

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" Matthew 7:21

As for the last part, if you are trying to atone for your own sins you are rejecting the gospel completely. You are denying that God has already made peace and that you have to make your own.

I don't know if you meant something else but what you described any and almost every lost person that is serious about earning salvation does the things you described.

Just wanted to point these things out.

Upvote 0
M

MissElizabeth

Whose sins are we to repent of then? Indeed we cannot resist sin without the Holy Spirit, but we unfortunately, were given free choice and tend to sin. We are not once saved always saved and forever forgiven of sins......we cannot be forgiven unless we repent.

2 Corinthians 13:5 - Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves, Know ye not your own selves, how that Yeshua is in you, except ye be reprobates?

If we examine ourselves daily, and find that we have sinned, are we not then to repent of it?

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
Romans 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue on in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, who are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore works meet for repentance.

As true believers, we are to live our lives by the example given to us by Yeshua: Living according to the Torah and Commandments and loving one another as Yeshua loved.

Upvote 0

rokcndy

Apr 26, 2011
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can't.

At least, I don't think so... only God can completely know people, including yourself. He knows more about you than you could ever possibly know. So if God knows you better than yourself, and he also knows other people better than they know themselves, than how do we really truly ever know another person?

But sometimes I get a very warm, calm, peaceful feeling around certain friends of mine who are Christian.. I don't know if that has anything to do with being religious or spiritual (I mean, it must to some extent) but that could be a sign that they're at peace with themselves and the world around them because of their faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.