How do you remain "child-free"?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I had a conversation with a friend that made it very clear to me how someone makes a decision to be child-free. She adores her cats, she photographs them, she snuggles with them, she talks to them on the phone, she's devastated when one goes missing for too long or gets sick. I don't care for cats terribly much. I like cute little kittens, and the sounds they make, and their soft fur and huge shining eyes. But I have no pressing desire to possess one. They grow into CATS. With claws, and attitudes, and they never learn to feed themselves or open or close doors or clean up their own poops.

It's very similar to those who choose to be child-free. They may adore beautiful little sleeping babies, chubby pink faced toddlers, and curly gossamer hair (OR they may not). But they don't like dripping noses, the smell of dirty pants, sticky hands, temper tantrums, whinging, and everything that goes with it. They simply don't have the desire to "possess" or be responsible for one.

Perfect description.

Upvote 0

Nella Fantasia

Sin-Bound
Mar 9, 2005
Visit site
✟28,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...broccoli is far less risky to try than having children...

My husband would disagree with you :D I've tried getting him to eat vegetables since we married, and he simply refuses. Or he'll put it into his mouth then quickly spit it out. One day I made us green beans, went into the kitchen to get something, came back out, and he's over there, scraping off his green beans onto my plate. Of course when he sees me he tries to act all innocent...

See? I don't need children. I already have one :p

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was a vegetarian for about 10 years -- and I dislike almost all vegetables. :D My husband says I was a pastatarian, heh.

Broccoli, spinach, and peas are yum. Everything else, if it's green, I don't want it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Poor Snooch! I weep for you! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I am now craving Cocoa Krispies! I'm going to buy one of those little boxes they have in cafeterias. ^_^

Upvote 0

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're not guilt tripping me.
People are complicated. And just as we are complex, so are our reasons for being childfree.

Take me for example.
I'm a five.
What do fives hate?
No-control, unpredictability.

Now what do kids bring?

And for folk like us who are anxious, have panic attacks and so on...having kids is for most, something we just can't deal with.

I don't hate kids. I don't hold the view that they should be better behaved either.

They're kids after all, they're supposed to scream, be loud, obnoxious, squirmy and disobedient. That's what kids do, whether you want them to or not. Since I can't deal with that kind of behavior, I don't have kids. And I know that the folk who do have well behaved kids work really hard to get them to act that way.

Honestly, if I had to run a nursery, or babysit, I would be so lost. I just wouldn't know what to do.

I agree. Kids have to be allowed to be kids. I'm just realizing how much lately I wasn't allowed to be one. When you have an alcoholic/rageaholic father and a codependent mother, you aren't allowed to be a child. You can never rock the boat and you must already know everything without being taught. So I hardly think that's a good way to prepare a child to be a future parent. And it's cruel to expect them to be.

Upvote 0
L

lavenderbees

DH got fixed in 1997. I had a hysterectomy 3 months ago which was medically necessary and would have eventually became an emergency. No pregnancies will happen here.

Doesn't that age you? I've heard stories about women losing their libido and going through menopause following a hysterectomy. Is that true? (I would have had one, myself, by now, if I had not heard these stories.)

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Doesn't that age you? I've heard stories about women losing their libido and going through menopause following a hysterectomy. Is that true? (I would have had one, myself, by now, if I had not heard these stories.)

It doesn't age you.

If your hysterectomy includes the removal of your ovaries, you go into instant menopause and experience the symptoms of menopause. That can include reduction of libido, hormonal changes, etc., but it's all treatable in the same way you would treat menopausal symptoms.

But many hysterectomies don't include the removal of the ovaries. Most only remove the uterus and cervix. That's how mine was. In those cases, there are no hormonal changes at all because the ovaries are still functioning normally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The ovaries continue to ovulate. The ovaries are an important source of hormones, if they were to cease, then it would send you into menopause.
What I don't understand is why women who've had a hysterectomy can't drinks caffeine. Not that caffeine is good for you anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dumb question alert -

if the ovaries are left in, do they still ovulate? Do the eggs just sit there and die since they can't go anywhere? Or do the ovaries say, "Oh, gee, my uterus is missing. Hmm, better not ovulate"?

They still ovulate. I asked my doctor what happened to the eggs and he said they just dissipate. But the ovaries still function normally. I don't think that was a dumb question at all, especially since I asked it myself. :D

The ovaries continue to ovulate. The ovaries are an important source of hormones, if they were to cease, then it would send you into menopause.
What I don't understand is why women who've had a hysterectomy can't drinks caffiene. Not that caffiene is good for you anyway.

Say what? No one told me to cut out caffeine, and it's a good thing too because I'm a coffee fiend. I put the fiend in caffein... okay, that's not working, heh.

Anyway, when I had uterine fibroids, I was told to cut back (or cut out) the caffeine then because they said it could worsen the fibroids. But once my uterus was gone I didn't get those instructions. I don't know what it would affect, but now I'm interested to find out.

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Anyway, when I had uterine fibroids, I was told to cut back (or cut out) the caffeine then because they said it could worsen the fibroids. But once my uterus was gone I didn't get those instructions. I don't know what it would affect, but now I'm interested to find out.
Well, caffeine is bad for you anyway because it plays with your dopamine levels, which you need to go to sleep. I usually only drink caffeine if it's decaf tea (preferably white or green).

My parents (my father is least) is probably more upset about my not drinking coffee than he would be if he knew I was childfree. He says all true Norwegians drink coffee. So I guess I'm outta the will. lol! :D

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, caffeine is bad for you anyway because it plays with your dopamine levels, which you need to go to sleep. I usually only drink caffeine if it's decaf tea (preferably white or green).

My parents (my father is least) is probably more upset about my not drinking coffee than he would be if he knew I was childfree. He says all true Norwegians drink coffee. So I guess I'm outta the will. lol! :D

I can relate! My mom was Italian and I was drinking espresso when I was a young kid (not a lot, always mixed with lots of milk and sugar, but I developed a taste for it early). And yes, it messes with my ability to sleep at night, so I usually take Ambien too. One of these days I'll wean off both, but the caffeine addiction has a good solid hold on me.

Upvote 0