How do you recover from a failure of epic proportions?

therebelprophet

Apr 21, 2007
✟16,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just think of Abraham dying with no Isaac, David dying with no throne, and Joseph dying in that pit he was put into by his brothers.

If you have seen a failure of that magnitude...how do you recover? It is unequivocally lost, the Promise unreachable...I failed. So how do you pick up the pieces when you live every day of your life thinking to yourself, "It wasn't supposed to be like this!"

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
when you come to the end of your road, ask God for the directions to His house. :) It worked very well for disciples John and Andrew. they found something far greater than they could ever have imagined on their own.

Upvote 0

therebelprophet

Apr 21, 2007
✟16,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, but God's the one who Promised it...and now it is lost. My life took a different, unexpected road, and I am traveling it as best as I can, but still my heart longs for the promise I was given. I am not satisfied with where I am currently though desperately I seek that satisfaction. My marriage and my mind are suffering for it. I have a son due in July that will need my full attention and focus and I am ambivalent at best most days. I fear that I have gone down some irrevocable path, a cruel twisting of the strands of Fate, and I will never again be what I once was certain I would inevitably become.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
the bible is full of those who have been given promises by God and had some time pass before those promises were kept.
you can start with the Israelites who waited a very long time indeed before they returned to their promised land. But they did return!

God's advantage is that He can see what will happen between the time the promise is made and the fulfillment of that promise. Often times things change in our lives between when the promise is given and it is fulfilled that we didn't expect to have happen. i know whereof i speak, because i'm going thru a waiting period, and a period of adjustment myself.

What i would suggest is to double check everything about what you have been promised; see if it agrees with how God made you, your gifts and your talents. See too if it is too big for you to accomplish on your own without God's help, and if receiving the help of others is necessary for the fulfillment of what you have been promised.

Ask yourself if the accomplishment of what you have been promised will glorify God, or if it will turn people's hearts to God. Does this accomplishment serve others? Will it edify them, comfort them, heal their doubts or wounded souls? Will it bring joy or peace? How will this help you to be a servant of God?

you see there's a lot of questions that can be answered, and a lot of things to be done in His service, while you are waiting for God to bring this about.
No day is wasted if you are learning from God while you are waiting.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Failure of epic proportions by whose standards?

Impossible to man is more than possible to God.

You have a little one on the way? Good. Do what Paul states, "But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you." Phil 3:13-15

Seek earnestly after God praying to be recovered for your failure, but if not, you refuse to be a failure as a father, forgetting what is behind you and pressing on towards the upward call of God.

Don't forget, it's Jesus who told us that any man who puts his hands to the plow and looks back is unworthy to be His disciple.

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Failure of epic proportions by whose standards?

Impossible to man is more than possible to God.

You have a little one on the way? Good. Do what Paul states, "But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you." Phil 3:13-15

Seek earnestly after God praying to be recovered for your failure, but if not, you refuse to be a failure as a father, forgetting what is behind you and pressing on towards the upward call of God.

Don't forget, it's Jesus who told us that any man who puts his hands to the plow and looks back is unworthy to be His disciple.

These are good words.

therebelprophet, I will pray for you. God's love for you is incredible. :)

Upvote 0

therebelprophet

Apr 21, 2007
✟16,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have thought about that many, many times, the putting of the hand to the plow and not looking back, that is. I wonder if I am looking with longing towards the unreachable BECAUSE it is unreachable or because it's really where I belong.

I know I'm being vague and I'm sorry for that. I just don't want to go into too much detail for fear of I know not what. Validation perhaps? If God can do anything and be within His rights and character, then this is surely no exception. Why call someone to something for over seven years only to let it blow up in their face tearing them to ribbons in every way possible but physically, and then redirect them onto another, less satisfying path? It doesn't make sense to me and the former situation feels like it's just waiting in the wings to take center stage again. But I digress. We shall see what we shall see.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider David, and man of great failures. Because of his sin, many thousands of his people died, his first child by Bathsheba died, and Absalom grew up to oppose him. One has to wonder how the scriptures would read today had the child not died or had God not raised Absalom up as a source of evil against David (2Sam 12:11).

Nevertheless, it is David of whom God said was a man after His own heart and the one blessed by God to be e decendent of the Messiah who would sit on his throne.

There are consequences of our actions that may fight against us for the rest of our days on this earth, but God is able to restore us with Him in whatever time remains.

Just this morning, as providence would have it, I read through Psalms 51 where David repented before God for the taking of Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah. It's very powerful in it's repentence for David's failure, and something we can all relate to from time to time.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
therebelprophet, this applies to all of us - nothing we do is a surprise to Yahweh. He's not caught off guard, you know, since He knows everything. He definitely has a plan for your life with your choices already considered. He has numerous ways for what He has for you to come to pass.

I encourage you to just tell Him you're sorry for whatever it was, then accept His forgiveness. Once we've done that - we really don't need to entertain those failure type thoughts which can be from the enemy (II Cor 11:3). You know, we gain from this life lesson and start thinking the way Yahweh wants us to think such as
I John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon me that I am called a son of God...
Psalms 139:17-18 - Yahweh thinks about me more often than the number of sand.
Jer 32:40 Yahweh will only do good for me.
Yahweh says - “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just think of Abraham dying with no Isaac, David dying with no throne, and Joseph dying in that pit he was put into by his brothers.

If you have seen a failure of that magnitude...how do you recover? It is unequivocally lost, the Promise unreachable...I failed. So how do you pick up the pieces when you live every day of your life thinking to yourself, "It wasn't supposed to be like this!"

Above all, trust God.
Trust in His covenant promises to you, as a child of God ... and do not lose faith.

When we fail horribly, it feels like crucifixion, death ... but there must be a death, before there can be a resurrection!
:)

Think on this verse: "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I that live, but Christ who lives in me.
And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

Whatever it is God wants you to do, He wants for you to do it in HIS power, and not yours, that He would get the glory.

Sometimes, we need to fail big-time, before we realize what sinners saved by grace we truly are ...
how powerless in ourselves we truly are ... and how much we truly need God, to be 'our all'.

A great read on the subject: "The Life That Wins" by Watchman Nee.

Maybe you failed, maybe you did not. God alone knows the work He is doing in your life, and if you have failed, He knew that you would!

Our failures do not surprise God and often 'failure' is just another necessary step towards God's accomplishing His purposes and plans for our life.

So I would say ... have faith, confess your sin where you need to, forgive others where you need to, and don't give up on God's ability to accomplish HIS purposes for your life.

Trust Him, even when you cannot see clearly the road ahead, even when you do not understand.

Job wrote: "Though He slay me, yet I will trust in Him".

Trust Him.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Missyjojo88

Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
This is what I think; sometimes God may tell us he will do something for us or with us. He may not give you anymore direction at least at that moment. Some people may react by ignore it and some may go ahead of God to full fill this promise. The best option would be to not ignore it, or get ahead of it, but to pray about it while waiting on him for a clear direction so that you may not do something or go somewhere he never told you. For example God may give you a revelation that you are going to marry a particular person. Now human nature is to automatically act upon it since he did say this was the person; not understanding the fact that God is really saying, " This is the person you will marry, but this is not the right time because there are things that need to be worked on so you both will be ready for this marriage or else it will not work out even though this person is the one."

If the case is none of the above, and you have not gone ahead of God's promise and have followed him step by step, then there's nothing wrong with failure my friend. It only means that you have tried and giving it your all. If you haven't failed in anything then you haven't done anything. You have to go through failure to get to where God wants you to be or else you will boast and take the credit. Failure allows you to see how much one needs God. It makes us more reliant on God. Sometimes in order for God to do what he says he will, he must get us to a place where we can be humbled or else what he does will not benefit us and may cause us to become spoiled. Think of it like a wealthy father who makes his kids work for their allowance so that they may understand the value of hard work. So that when the child may find themselves in a place where they may no longer have the money that they may know that they can work hard for it instead being helpless and lazy, thus unable to provide for themselves. They will learn not to take advantage of their wealth and to respect those who may not have what they have because they must work hard for whatever they have.

Likewise, God wants you to understand the importance of leaning on him for guidance if one wants to succeed. He doesn't want us to forget the hard work that goes into obeying and relying on him. It will help us not to take advantage of our relationship with him and put more value on the way we see him as God. Don't forget everyone from Adam to Abraham, Moses, David, etc. had failures in life. The scripture may not address every failure in their lives because what was important is what they did despite the failures. One major example is Moses. Who can reach the level Moses did in talking to God face to face? His relationship with God was was extraordinarily. Was he ever perfect? He was a murder, but once God called him he became a great servant of God. But even when he was a servant, did he not fail when he hit the rock more than God wanted him to? Did this not result in him not seen the promise land? Did this keep him from being saved? Absolutely not, as a matter of fact God still was with him until his death. I wanted to add, not all failures result in losing a reward from God. So your failure may not have any consequences with you and God; it may not be severe like Moses though it may certainly have consequences that may affect you and the people around. It may or may not be as a result of sin. Always remember that in order for us to remain humble and maintain our reliance on God, he may allow us to be kept in check from time to time, so that we may not become egotistic to the point that we think our success is based on our ability rather than God.

The most important question would be how to we handle our failures? Outside of Jesus Christ, there is no one in this earth that has not failed. This is a part of life, like everything else. Sometimes failure is needed to get where you need to go. Does that failure cause you to give up on the promise that God has for you? Does it decrease your faith? Does it separate you from God or does it not bring you closer to God and make you more reliant. If a failure brings you closer to God, God will be willing to allow you to fail as many times as needed so that you will not fail in him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

therebelprophet

Apr 21, 2007
✟16,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good words, all of you.

Part of me knows that this present situation is only temporary, but knowing that doesn't make it easier...it makes it harder. I am trying to fully engage, go neck-deep with things as they are and forget about "they way it should be" but it haunts me in SO many different ways. Some days it's easy to put it out of mind, but other days my guts hurt from holding it all in all of the time.

I just want my life to be simple, ya know? I even told God that I just wanted HIM, not all of these problems and issues that I have to go through or get past just to get close to Him. I'm tired of the uncertainty, tired of being "in waiting" and tired of being on edge waiting for the ax to fall and cut off this part of my life so that I can go on to the next part. I feel like I can't get settled in my heart and mind and that is BEYOND exhausting. My sleep is not restful, my days run together sometimes, and I find it hard to enjoy things without them being bittersweet.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. But it is. Now what?

Upvote 0

Missyjojo88

Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
At times I feel the same way as you. I think all of us at one point in our lives face this. You feel unfilled, dissatisfied, restless, unsettle, unhappy, disappointed, exhausted, etc. If only we always knew where we were going, and get there as quickly as possible. I have a feeling that there is a lot of behind the scene work God is doing in us that doesn't come with that feel good feeling because it hasn't bear the fruit of its labor cause we are still in the process.

Even though you don't see anything, the work being done, the seed being planted, doesn't mean that its not there. The place that you are right now, was the same place Israel was for 40 years, but even though it was a hard place, God always showed that he was there. Initially it wasn't because of their sins they were in the desert, but it was due to their sins they were in there for 40 years. Everyone must go through this, some more than others. Some of us go through it complaining, depress, restless, doubting, but these are all things that only hinder our progress. Think about those who made it to the promise land; there was only Joshua and Caleb out of hundred of thousands of people. They all went through the desert or these period of times right? But how they handled it determines how long and who got to see the promise land. Like you, I am at this period also where I feel like the biggest failure. Nothing seems to be happening, and if it does, it doesn't go right. I am not good at handling it the proper way. I am also as guilty in the way I handle it. I realize I can't do more than pray on it, and since every time I pray I get a sense of peace about it; I know that God wants me where I'm at. It doesn't mean that I don't fall back into the feeling of despair and worthlessness. But this is what the enemy wants you to focus on because he knows it will take longer to go through period if you are opposing the work that God is doing to you at this time.

You know if you plant something, you have to dig a hole, and do all sort of things to it. If the ground could feel any pain, it would feel all the pain the comes with digging the hole, and cultivating it so that the plant and seed will grow and be harvest. You and I are like the ground, we don't see what's being done, but we know its painful, uncomfortable, and unknown. Even though we don't know nor understand, we have to go though it if we want to bear fruit and be covered in beautiful flowers. As long as you continually seek God about your feelings and despairs that is all that you can do. Whether you want to suffer or not, you are still going to be in the desert. As a matter of fact you are already there. Now despite the hurt, pain, and wounds, do you try to bear with it or oppose it? The more opposition, the longer time in the desert. Sometimes many may never come out of the desert because they oppose God so much.

In a sense, I can't walk in your shoes, but I know the feeling your describing. These feelings can be suffocating this is why despite our understanding, we have to bear it and trust that God knows the why's and the how's. Our job is to pray for strength, wisdom, discernment, guidance, etc. There's no way you will be disappointed if you trust in him. This is a process that takes time. If there is another reason why you are where you are, as long as you seek God he will eventually give you an answer. It may not be immediately, but it will come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want my life to be simple, ya know? I even told God that I just wanted HIM, not all of these problems and issues that I have to go through or get past just to get close to Him. I'm tired of the uncertainty, tired of being "in waiting" and tired of being on edge waiting for the ax to fall and cut off this part of my life so that I can go on to the next part. I feel like I can't get settled in my heart and mind and that is BEYOND exhausting. My sleep is not restful, my days run together sometimes, and I find it hard to enjoy things without them being bittersweet.

James 1:2-4
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

Don't pray to be delivered from trials, rather to be given trials in accordance with your faith.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,507.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I feel like I can't get settled in my heart and mind and that is BEYOND exhausting. My sleep is not restful, my days run together sometimes, and I find it hard to enjoy things without them being bittersweet.

Hold on brother.You can make it. It may seem hard, and you may have some scarring, but that could be to make you tougher. This is your storm, but, go through it knowing that you have not fallen beyond His everlasting arms.

Upvote 0

therebelprophet

Apr 21, 2007
✟16,500.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I might as well just say what's bothering me. I married the "wrong" girl. I was promised someone else, I fought in faith for her for over seven years until I was totally tapped out and when I thought I was going to be victorious, I was given my walking papers and that by God Himself.

Now I'm married to another girl that I KNOW God put in my life, but she is so difficult, and so petty, and such a burden to me sometimes that I feel I just made the biggest mistake of my life. But I'm MARRIED so there's no going back.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I might as well just say what's bothering me. I married the "wrong" girl. I was promised someone else, I fought in faith for her for over seven years until I was totally tapped out and when I thought I was going to be victorious, I was given my walking papers and that by God Himself.

Now I'm married to another girl that I KNOW God put in my life, but she is so difficult, and so petty, and such a burden to me sometimes that I feel I just made the biggest mistake of my life. But I'm MARRIED so there's no going back.

Here... seriously...

Husbands Save Your Wives - SermonAudio.com

Counting Trials as Joy - SermonAudio.com

How Can You Love Others If You Can't Love Your Wife? - SermonAudio.com

I've found these to be amazing.

Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
I've made failures of what I thought were epic proportions and I only survived by taking it one day at a time

and let God work.. sometimes patience is giving God the time and space to work in us and in others, just choosing to wait and let God work and trusting He is even when we cant see how He can do anything or is doing anything but still trusting He is because.. He is.

remember too that God knew you would do this and He works all things together for the good of those who are called according to His purposes... all things. It did not take God by surprise, He is able to do more than what we think or imagine - sorry to be blunt but who are you to think you can thwart the purposes of God in your life by one wrong choice (which may not have been a wrong choice according to God anyway!)?

Another thing.. when it gets too hard and it will at times, go to God and rest in His Sovereignty, that He is bigger than you and He doesnt ever allow more than we can bear. You may feel that you chose this but the Bible says many are the plans of a mans heart but the Lord's purpose prevails.. remember that, the Lord's purpose always prevails!

Take heart.. God can and will make this beautiful if you let Him because He makes all things beautiful in His time. God is bigger than your mistakes (or what you see as a mistake which most likely isnt at all to God). God knits together so many of what we think are our biggest mistakes and mess ups and weaves together blessing and life and plentiful grace into what we think are the worst situations. Dont let your own sense of failure keep you down brother. Look forward.

Each day leave it with Him, let what will happen happen and go into the day choosing to trust that God knows what He is doing and works in spite of us all the time!!!

God will use you anyway brother, you seem open enough to God using you and want that. Dont think one choice (right or wrong) disqualifies you or will stop God.. it's not possible God is too powerful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0