• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you glorify God through your work?

happypeppie

Jalapeno
May 11, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,117.00
Faith
Christian

I work at McDonald's and I can't possibly see how you are supposed to glorify God while I'm wiping down tables, serving food and trying to be quick about it. I'm doing a job that is simple yet, when the demands are high, it becomes complicated. And stressful. And you're not supposed to talk about religion or anything like that. We're just there to serve people food in a clean and sanitary environment so that the restaurant gets money and so we can get paid. Where's the glory for God?

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In those stressful times, do you flip out at people or can you keep your cool? Do you show people that you live a life that is different than theirs??? By living in love, loving your coworkers no matter how stupid, stuck-up, or cruel they are, show them love. Be a light in the darkness of life. Life stinks...show them the green grass that your pasture is. Let them know through how you act that you are a Christian. You don't have to talk about your relationship with God to let them know that you are a Christian. The way you act will make them wonder, so.....make them wonder. Read some books in the bible such as Ephesians, Colossians, 1,2 Corinthians, and Proverbs. Those books will help you in ways to treat others. Keep praying over this issue! Be the salt and the light to the world brother!

Upvote 0

MLynn

Lifelong Disciple
Jun 29, 2004
USA
✟15,384.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Constitution
Any task we do can glorify God. It has to do with the Holy Ghost inside of us working from the inside out. I work as a secretary and I know I make a difference by being there. Sometimes it's evident and sometimes not. There is a book somewhere in my library called, "Practicing the Presence" by Brother Lawrence. You might read it - it's wonderful. :)

Upvote 0

happypeppie

Jalapeno
May 11, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Visit site
✟8,117.00
Faith
Christian
LAWise520 said:
In those stressful times, do you flip out at people or can you keep your cool? Do you show people that you live a life that is different than theirs??? By living in love, loving your coworkers no matter how stupid, stuck-up, or cruel they are, show them love. Be a light in the darkness of life. Life stinks...show them the green grass that your pasture is. Let them know through how you act that you are a Christian. You don't have to talk about your relationship with God to let them know that you are a Christian. The way you act will make them wonder, so.....make them wonder. Read some books in the bible such as Ephesians, Colossians, 1,2 Corinthians, and Proverbs. Those books will help you in ways to treat others. Keep praying over this issue! Be the salt and the light to the world brother!
In those stressful times I do keep my cool... I don't flip out... I never flip out at anyone at work or anytime... that's just part of my personality. And my coworkers are all great people (well, there's just one person who I don't like but they're not really a huge problem). They're not stupid, cruel or stuck up. I just treat them the way I treat my friends. It's not the people that I'm having a hard time with. It's my actual work that I'm having a hard time with. How can I glorify God by wiping down tables and serving food? I guess it doesn't help that I don't really like my job anymore. It's just stressful and I'm not getting enough hours and so by the time I have my next shift I'm a little rusty on the till. But how can I glorify God by working at McDonald's?

Upvote 0

aChristiancalledCameron

There are thirty-nine letters in this sentence.
Jul 5, 2004
Melbourne
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
[qoute] You don't have to talk about your relationship with God to let them know that you are a Christian. The way you act will make them wonder, so.....make them wonder.[/qoute]
Actions speak louder then words, try this. Go to friends or family. Say "do what I say for a sec and put you index finger"(start doing what your telling them to do)"on your chin."(put in on your cheek, they will probably do the same. This is helpful when people are grieving maybe say. Instead of saying your there, call them see how there going. Like in this forum, instead of just posting to say you're their if they wanna talk, say "hello" through PM maybe. Hope you like this perspective.

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You glorify or desparage God in everything you do, or do not do. If you do a good job and let people know you are Christian your good work will reflect God's glory. If you do a crummy job the opposite is true. If you recall Jesus told slaves to work hard and obey thier masters so it doesn't matter what you do so long as you do your best, and your work is not contrary to the Bible's teachings.

Reactions: happypeppie
Upvote 0

shawn_h76

Christianos
Jul 9, 2004
✟529.00
Faith
Christian
happypeppie said:

I work at McDonald's and I can't possibly see how you are supposed to glorify God while I'm wiping down tables, serving food and trying to be quick about it. I'm doing a job that is simple yet, when the demands are high, it becomes complicated. And stressful. And you're not supposed to talk about religion or anything like that. We're just there to serve people food in a clean and sanitary environment so that the restaurant gets money and so we can get paid. Where's the glory for God?
I wish I could work at McDonald's ^_^
Matthew 5
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know what??? I buss tables at a restraunt for a living and i think glorifying God is just doing 110% at my job, and not slacking off or having a bad attitude, ect....

My pastor said to do your job to the absolute best you are capable .... and do it with a glad heart!:D

Upvote 0