• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you get through those non-functioning days?

ps34_18

Randomly Thinking
Sep 11, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a little history: I struggled for four months this summer with depression after school let out. I'm back at school now, and being surrounded by my friends I'd thought that I'd managed to kick it without having to go on drugs or see someone. I think I was wrong...

Today has probably been one of the roughest yet since coming back to school, and it's making me realize that I've still got a problem that I need to deal with. I'm barely functioning, and I'm not really sure what the problem is. I'm a resident advisor living with first years...a job that brings a lot of stress, and I have a high-maintenance roommate who struggles a lot with self-image issues, but really, I have no reason to be depressed and it's making me very frustrated that I can't just pull myself out of it. There's a counsellor on-campus here that I can go to, and will try to make an appointment with for Monday, or else I might try to contact someone off-campus at a Christian counselling center I know of nearby.

My question is this, how do you get through those non-functioning days before you can get some real help? I've got a test this afternoon and I don't know if I'm going to even be able to focus long enough to write it...

Vollkommen Warrior

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟917.00
Faith
Christian
"I have no reason to be depressed and it's making me very frustrated that I can't just pull myself out of it." - ps34_18

AHH, yes, but that IS the nature of that demon! What I mean is, it likes to make you think its all on YOU. Then when YOU can't pull yourself out it's all your fault, thus the cycle of kicking yourself and further down it takes us like an alligator grabing us and spinning us down. Whether it would be considered a demon now or 1000 years ago and whether it is or not, who really knows. It sounds like, quaks like, acts like the route depression takes you on. Recognize this and try not to be too hard on yourself. Start by recognizing negative thoughts that make you feel bad. Do you feel bad? Why? What are/were you thinking? It's hard to do but the route of many depressionary "spasms." If you can't pull yourself out, it has probably reached the physical level. Still not your fault though. You may have or probably have a genetic pre-disposition to this if it gets there. No big deal. Get on some meds to get your chems back up to speed and move on. Later, try to wean off them. Don't fight it too long if you think you need that med life-raft though. The longer you have it, the more damage it can do. I had it for years off and on as a child and need meds probably forever to create a floor for me. I am doing great after 6 yrs of same meds. So don't worry, either way it's totally treatable.

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank God you recognize the problem. "Non-functioning" is a fantastic description. I shut down last year and didn't know what the deal was. I went to counseling and found out it was depression. Life was pretty darn good so I had no..."reason" so to speak to be all jacked up. What can you do?
Try to get to bed at a decent hour and don't sleep too much. Eat as well as you can. I know the cafeteria is nasty, but veggies and fruit are your friend. Do you have someone you can kind of lean on? Preferrably a female for you. Try to get some exercise every day.
Set small goals to complete every day. It feels good to accomplish something. As far as studying, do what you can to hang on. I was very fortunate that semester because I happened to have papers from previous semesters I could use for the classes I was in. That's not the best way to do things as a student, but it got me through.
*hug*

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I suffer from Depression and from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), My doctor put me on Prozac about 5 years ago. It has certainly helped. I still get depressed from time to time, mostly when I am tired or run-down but it isn't the utter darkness that once it was.

Take time for yourself, give yourself permission to feel depressed (note it WILL happen one way or another, try not to stress about it!), take some exercise every day, get out in the sunshine if you can, eat lots of fruit and vegies and just be willing to take each day as a separate "thing", ie. "I was depressed yesterday, who knows what tomorrow will bring"

Kiwimac

Upvote 0

ps34_18

Randomly Thinking
Sep 11, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank-you all for your help. I really appreciate knowing that you don't always need a reason to be depressed, sometimes it just happens. I think maybe mine might have to do with being overstressed, but other than that...

I am feeling a little better today...but that could be because I just got out of bed and I'm not feeling too tired yet. Who knows what the day has in store for me yet?

(and yes, it's psalm 34:18..."The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.")

Upvote 0

ps34_18

Randomly Thinking
Sep 11, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
k, I could really use some prayer right about now. The issues that I've been having to deal with concerning my roommate have come to a head this weekend and it's really starting to weigh me down. I am planning on seeing a counsellor on Monday to get help with dealing with everything....but until then it's going to be a rough road. And I called a friend of hers tonight after we had a really rough evening with dealing with her and he's going to be calling her early next week to confront her about everything...pray it goes well and that I have the strength to be patient with her because she's not going to be happy to find out how much this has been affecting all of us and that we've been discussing her behind her back.

Upvote 0