Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor detest His correction; 12For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

It does work on most.

How do I feel when I'm getting chastened.....

Awkward, embarrassed, like I should have known better, like I should feel really bad about what I did, didn't do and should have done, or could have done...

Yet, as I get older, I'm realizing that God is not looking for me to feel bad.
He's training me to be more like Jesus. So he wants me to change.
Perhaps an attitude, or a manner of reaction to people who irritate me. Sometimes he's trying to get me to believe him more fully or completely.
Other times he wants me to talk to him more about the issues I'm having, because I am a dyed-in-the-wool DIY guy who used to be really adept at solving problems.... and believed I could fix anything, given the right resources....

The older I get the more I see the real Steve for who he really is, and I don't like it.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Awkward, embarrassed, like I should have known better, like I should feel really bad about what I did, didn't do and should have done, or could have done...

Perhaps an attitude, or a manner of reaction to people who irritate me. Sometimes he's trying to get me to believe him more fully or completely.
Other times he wants me to talk to him more about the issues I'm having, because I am a dyed-in-the-wool DIY guy who used to be really adept at solving problems.... and believed I could fix anything, given the right resources....

The older I get the more I see the real Steve for who he really is, and I don't like it.

You are on your journey brother to GOD for sure.

Training for the kingdom, being sanctified. It's a strange thing how GOD changes our thoughts and our perceptions but a good feeling all the same. It's hard to give everything over to GOD, I'm not quite there yet but making progress all the same. I am coming to the understanding that everything is GOD's and that all I have and ever had that has been good is all from HIM.

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I can relate what you have said but God let me understand that it is not shame or weakness when I cannot fix the problems.
Actually, He wants me to rely on His strength.
This is what I cannot see since I am so self reliant.

Till I don’t liked what I became to be !
Jesus, my Shepherd struck me with His Rod.
It was painful but it is for my own good.

I recall when He reprove me, God is right and faithful. Now, I am delighted to know He reprove because He loves me.

It is for a reason these are written:
May the LORD give STRENGTH to his people! -Psalms 29:11

Seek the LORD and HIS STRENGTH; seek His presence continually! -Psalms 105:4

It is for a reason that the Father and the Son send the Holy Spirit to help us !

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can relate what you have said but God let me understand that it is not shame or weakness when I cannot fix the problems.
Actually, He wants me to rely on His strength.
This is what I cannot see since I am so self reliant.
yes. But those terms of shame/weakness I used were based on my family history. Not God's methods.
I've since learned he's far more gracious, and simply wants me to acknowledge my wrongs, and trust him for the solutions.

Till I don’t liked what I became to be !
Jesus, my Shepherd struck me with His Rod.
It was painful but it is for my own good.

I recall when He reprove me, God is right and faithful. Now, I am delighted to know He reprove because He loves me.

It is for a reason these are written:
May the LORD give STRENGTH to his people! -Psalms 29:11

Seek the LORD and HIS STRENGTH; seek His presence continually! -Psalms 105:4

It is for a reason that the Father and the Son send the Holy Spirit to help us !

:cool:

• Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep, trust the process whatever is going down. I will say it can easy at times to recognize some chastising because there are usually warnings. Those conscious pings along the lines of "check yourself" "you know better" "you don't want to go that way" maybe some "really?" up in there too-- often with Scripture surfacing that brings conviction.

At the same time, you gotta be careful when someone comes at you. I was once accused by a church "friend" of being chastened for the sins of a relative on another continent. I loved that church lady but she was off. I had already warned my overseas relative about their path. I was suffering but had no control over that situation.

Overall, I try not too look too closing at reasons now. That stuff will drive you crazy. I love what you said about suffering for righteousness's sake. It is all a growth process with its awkwardness and its blessings.

The person who told you that is sadly Biblically wrong. We are not held responsible for the sins of others

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if chastened means the same as corrected, i feel terrible....sometimes i ask God so many questions, "Why, Why, Why"...I try to obey what he tells me, but its like playing a game of cricket with God, he's the only one with the bat and when something goes wrong, its like he hits the ball at me (i'm the bowler), and it hurts....somehow unknown to me God always delivers.

Its like a never-ending process of santification.....

Upvote 0

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟38,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chastening is something I have gone through when asking for prayer to walk in victory over an addiction. This can result in feeling bad enough through affliction on my health to miss a few days of work, but not anything real severe because God is merciful. However during times when I have experienced this, I have seen consistent freedom and victory for months following such an experience.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums