Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
How do you feel the Holy Spirit? Can you actually feel it?
Hhhhmmmmmmmm, not really sure what you are referring to (or wanting to know).

When I was baptized in the Holy Spirit (that is when I received the indwelling Holy Spirit)
I experienced several related responses all at once.
First: I burst out speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gave me utterance.
Second: I experienced a joy that was ecstatic. A joy of the truth.
Third: I experienced a revelation that Jesus is God and Lord and Saviour. That the
Bible is completely true and trustworthy.

Sometimes when I have a wrong thought or a wrong desire then the Holy Spirit
"grieves" me. I get a sharp pain in the site of my first healing.
An appropriate location as there is never any pain there, and so when I get a
sharp short ache there I know that Jesus (through the Holy Spirit) is telling me,
directing me 'no that's wrong don't do that'

Otherwise it is mostly joy and rejoicing especially when I am praying in tongues.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do not be deceived by people who claim to feel the Holy Spirit in ways that seem odd. There are people who speak gibberish and claim its speaking in tongues. A lot of credence is given to the charismatic nature of gifts of the spirit and as such have led many people astray and proclaim a God that they truly know nothing about. Even in the context of the Scriptures, tongues was shown to be preaching the gospel to people so that they understood it in their own language. An example would be if I spoke French, you would understand it in the German that you speak with no translator. Not that you or I speak French or German, just using that as an analogy. When the Holy Spirit utters things that are "unutterable", that means that not even the sound you make, can express the groanings inside your spirit and soul. The Holy Spirit intercedes during our prayers, because we don't pray like we should or like we ought to. Even that kind of stuff we mess up. I guess an example of how I "felt" the Spirit work was: there was a lady at church that I prayed for a few times, because she is a rather sweet person, and has had a hard time. One day I felt that the next time I saw her at church, it didn't matter, I was going to give her a hug. Like a REAL hug with two arms and not let go. And told her that was what the spirit told me to do. She looked at me, shocked, and asked how did you know I even needed that? It had been so long since anyone had done that, and was so simple. The Holy Spirit does things for us, and by us on behalf of God. God is personal like that. The Spirit gives you "sight". Allows you to see things beyond what can be normally seen. Like hearing the inflection in someone's voice. Like a woman saying everything is fine, means that everything is a hot mess. (joking) The Holy Spirit isn't gimmicks to draw attention to yourself. The Holy Spirit is the life that flows through you. Another example might be when you ask someone how they are and they say fine. And then you ask them a second time, "no seriously" how are you? Then they open up to you. Because you are actively getting involved in someones life. You are living as Christ would have you live. You jump all-in, you feel bad for someone that is hungry, so you stop the car and take the hungry person to dinner. When you really stop and think about it, you never will NOT FEEL the spirit calling you to do things. Have you ever "felt" the urge to help someone? Ever "felt" like the preacher was talking directly to you? Ever hear a voice in a prayer that wasn't your own and wasn't selfish?

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A few weeks ago I was really touched by
the holy spirit and with arms up in complete surrender. My hands were shaking
uncontrollably,and than I started crying. Afterwards I felt such a joy and love for God inside.
Its experiences like this where I definitely know and feel the Holy spirit.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Many report the outpouring of the Holy Spirit to feel like having warm oil poured out over you, i.e. being enveloped in warmth. Hence the use of the term "anointing," as a parallel with the use of anointing oil.

I've tangibly felt His Presence descend upon me numerous times, so I can attest to the truth of the experience. But why are you asking?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Do not be deceived by people who claim to feel the Holy Spirit in ways that seem odd. There are people who speak gibberish and claim its speaking in tongues. A lot of credence is given to the charismatic nature of gifts of the spirit and as such have led many people astray and proclaim a God that they truly know nothing about. Even in the context of the Scriptures, tongues was shown to be preaching the gospel to people so that they understood it in their own language. An example would be if I spoke French, you would understand it in the German that you speak with no translator. Not that you or I speak French or German, just using that as an analogy. When the Holy Spirit utters things that are "unutterable", that means that not even the sound you make, can express the groanings inside your spirit and soul. The Holy Spirit intercedes during our prayers, because we don't pray like we should or like we ought to. Even that kind of stuff we mess up. I guess an example of how I "felt" the Spirit work was: there was a lady at church that I prayed for a few times, because she is a rather sweet person, and has had a hard time. One day I felt that the next time I saw her at church, it didn't matter, I was going to give her a hug. Like a REAL hug with two arms and not let go. And told her that was what the spirit told me to do. She looked at me, shocked, and asked how did you know I even needed that? It had been so long since anyone had done that, and was so simple. The Holy Spirit does things for us, and by us on behalf of God. God is personal like that. The Spirit gives you "sight". Allows you to see things beyond what can be normally seen. Like hearing the inflection in someone's voice. Like a woman saying everything is fine, means that everything is a hot mess. (joking) The Holy Spirit isn't gimmicks to draw attention to yourself. The Holy Spirit is the life that flows through you. Another example might be when you ask someone how they are and they say fine. And then you ask them a second time, "no seriously" how are you? Then they open up to you. Because you are actively getting involved in someones life. You are living as Christ would have you live. You jump all-in, you feel bad for someone that is hungry, so you stop the car and take the hungry person to dinner. When you really stop and think about it, you never will NOT FEEL the spirit calling you to do things. Have you ever "felt" the urge to help someone? Ever "felt" like the preacher was talking directly to you? Ever hear a voice in a prayer that wasn't your own and wasn't selfish?
Why are you so harshly opposed to Charismatics? What have they done to you to make you feel the way you do about them?

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are you so harshly opposed to Charismatics? What have they done to you to make you feel the way you do about them?
I don't personally "feel" one way or another about people who seek after the Lord. I speak the truth as I have been taught and as I further my studies and relationship with the Lord constantly. I speak about the Holy Spirit in the ways that it has shaped my life. I trust the Father, his Word, and the Holy Spirit, and that is what I rely on to formulate my stance. Jesus came to divide, not unite. That is for the purpose of bearing unique fruits and to separate the righteous from the wicked. In that respect, I speak against false teaching and worldly ways by presenting the truth as it has been given. I do have to ask, What exactly have I spoken that was false? Does shaking one's hands and having seizures speaking gibberish qualify as the Spirit? Or would it seem more so that being moved to feed the hungry, help the poor, and preach the gospel would be more along the correct lines? I don't trust in parlor tricks and those who seek to distort truth.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't personally "feel" one way or another about people who seek after the Lord. I speak the truth as I have been taught and as I further my studies and relationship with the Lord constantly. I speak about the Holy Spirit in the ways that it has shaped my life. I trust the Father, his Word, and the Holy Spirit, and that is what I rely on to formulate my stance. Jesus came to divide, not unite. That is for the purpose of bearing unique fruits and to separate the righteous from the wicked. In that respect, I speak against false teaching and worldly ways by presenting the truth as it has been given. I do have to ask, What exactly have I spoken that was false? Does shaking one's hands and having seizures speaking gibberish qualify as the Spirit? Or would it seem more so that being moved to feed the hungry, help the poor, and preach the gospel would be more along the correct lines? I don't trust in parlor tricks and those who seek to distort truth.
I find what you say about Charismatics puzzling because I spent the first 12 years of my Christian life in Charismatic churches, and have been associated with Charismatics one way or another ever since then (38 years). In all that time, I never saw one person have a seizure, or engage in bizarre behaviour. The tongues languages I heard when in prayer meetings sounded just like articulate languages to me, just the same as I heard Indian people speaking Hindi or Chinese people speaking Mandarin on the bus when I have travelled to and from work. As a Victim Advisor, I worked with Cambodians, Chinese, Samoans, Tongans, Indians, and Arabic speakers through interpreters, and all those languages sounded just like the tongues I heard in prayer meetings. In fact, when a Hindi speaker is speaking rapidly it sounds like absolute gibberish to me. Conversation language in any language has its contractions and words left out. No one speaks perfect language in conversation. Sometimes full meaning can be conveyed in just one word. So, I have had extensive experience in working with people of different languages and tongues when spoken properly, sounds just the same as any foreign language that I don't understand.

As far as speaking against falsehood, I find that sharing Jesus and what a wonderful Saviour He is, and how He has walked with me and blessed me over the years, is much more positive and useful for attracting people to the Christian faith. In my 50 years of Christian life, I have never seen one person won to Christ by railing against what is false in the Church. I think that type of stuff drives people away from the Church and from Christ. Also, quoting Bible verses, in my experience, has also never won anyone to Christ either. What won me to Christ and kept me going on for Him are the people who accepted me as I was and am, and who have shown the love of Christ through acts of kindness.

So, I reckon, instead of railing against Charismatics with generalised, half-truth comments, you would be better putting your case by showing Charismatics a better and more joyful, productive way of worshiping the Lord. What do you reckon?

• Winner
Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find what you say about Charismatics puzzling because I spent the first 12 years of my Christian life in Charismatic churches, and have been associated with Charismatics one way or another ever since then (38 years). In all that time, I never saw one person have a seizure, or engage in bizarre behaviour. The tongues languages I heard when in prayer meetings sounded just like articulate languages to me, just the same as I heard Indian people speaking Hindi or Chinese people speaking Mandarin on the bus when I have travelled to and from work. As a Victim Advisor, I worked with Cambodians, Chinese, Samoans, Tongans, Indians, and Arabic speakers through interpreters, and all those languages sounded just like the tongues I heard in prayer meetings. In fact, when a Hindi speaker is speaking rapidly it sounds like absolute gibberish to me. Conversation language in any language has its contractions and words left out. No one speaks perfect language in conversation. Sometimes full meaning can be conveyed in just one word. So, I have had extensive experience in working with people of different languages and tongues when spoken properly, sounds just the same as any foreign language that I don't understand.

As far as speaking against falsehood, I find that sharing Jesus and what a wonderful Saviour He is, and how He has walked with me and blessed me over the years, is much more positive and useful for attracting people to the Christian faith. In my 50 years of Christian life, I have never seen one person won to Christ by railing against what is false in the Church. I think that type of stuff drives people away from the Church and from Christ. Also, quoting Bible verses, in my experience, has also never won anyone to Christ either. What won me to Christ and kept me going on for Him are the people who accepted me as I was and am, and who have shown the love of Christ through acts of kindness.

So, I reckon, instead of railing against Charismatics with generalised, half-truth comments, you would be better putting your case by showing Charismatics a better and more joyful, productive way of worshiping the Lord. What do you reckon?
1 Thessalonians 2:4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
As I study scriptures a lot, it tends be what I talk about. tends to be what I say. When it comes to speaking with no interpretation, you have no idea what people are saying when they speak in tongues, nor do you know what you are saying, which is unfruitful in every aspect. And while I may have reservations about Charismatic churches, I don't condemn those who worship the Lord or praise Jesus. People come to faith by hearing the Word of God. Others by testimony. People are different, so methods vary. As for my own testimony, which I did give earlier, that was concerning my own experience. I found it really weird. But in my own church I don't send people away for coming from that background. I explain different things. I witness as Philip did to the Ethiopian. By using the Word itself.
Jude 1:22-23 And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
If I may ask for clarification, what is speaking in tongues to you?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 2:4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
As I study scriptures a lot, it tends be what I talk about. tends to be what I say. When it comes to speaking with no interpretation, you have no idea what people are saying when they speak in tongues, nor do you know what you are saying, which is unfruitful in every aspect. And while I may have reservations about Charismatic churches, I don't condemn those who worship the Lord or praise Jesus. People come to faith by hearing the Word of God. Others by testimony. People are different, so methods vary. As for my own testimony, which I did give earlier, that was concerning my own experience. I found it really weird. But in my own church I don't send people away for coming from that background. I explain different things. I witness as Philip did to the Ethiopian. By using the Word itself.
Jude 1:22-23 And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
If I may ask for clarification, what is speaking in tongues to you?
You have quoted Scriptures in general which does nothing to support your case. I have no idea about how you are intending to apply your quotes to those who practice tongues and prophecy in Charismatic churches. I see that you have not quoted anything from 1 Corinthians 14 which explains what tongues is all about. I guess using those Scriptures might weaken your case seeing that all Scripture, including 1 Corinthians 14 is God-breathed and profitable for correction, instruction and exhortation. I guess that you are choosing Scripture that supports your position and ignoring those that contradict your view.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have quoted Scriptures in general which does nothing to support your case. I have no idea about how you are intending to apply your quotes to those who practice tongues and prophecy in Charismatic churches. I see that you have not quoted anything from 1 Corinthians 14 which explains what tongues is all about. I guess using those Scriptures might weaken your case seeing that all Scripture, including 1 Corinthians 14 is God-breathed and profitable for correction, instruction and exhortation. I guess that you are choosing Scripture that supports your position and ignoring those that contradict your view.
You aren't answering my question which is : what is your own personal view of tongues? And I explained mine in many posts what the scope of 1 Corinthians is, even without quoting it directly, because it was assumed, and backed it up using several verses to explain what it was and what it shouldn't be taken as, because the simple fact is that an entire charismatic church revolves around one book, that being Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 14:18-19 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

WE ARE OBLIGATED TO FORM OUR DOCTRINE ON THIS (OR ANY OTHER SUBJECT) UPON THE TEACHING OF THE CLEAREST SCRIPTURES, AND THE MORE OBSCURE ONES WILL TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES. The false teacher takes exactly the opposite approach. He builds his pet doctrines upon relatively obscure and difficult Scriptures while ignoring and overthrowing the clearest ones. The Charismatic will hang his doctrine of a “private prayer language” composed of unintelligible mutterings upon 1 Cor. 14:15, even though that is a doubtful interpretation at best, while ignoring the clear teaching of Scripture that tongues were languages that were supernaturally spoken as a sign to the nation Israel.

BIBLICAL TONGUES WERE REAL EARTHLY LANGUAGES.

A foundational fact about biblical tongues is that they were real languages, not some sort of unintelligible mutterings.

The law of first mention is an important rule of Bible interpretation, and the first time we see the exercise of tongues in the New Testament is in Acts 2. Here we see that the gift of tongues was the miraculous ability to speak in a language that one had never learned.

“Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak IN HIS OWN LANGUAGE. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man IN OUR OWN TONGUE, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak IN OUR TONGUES the wonderful works of God” (Acts 2:6-11).

At least 14 or 15 different languages are mentioned here. These were normal earthly languages spoken by men in that day, and the Jewish disciples were able to speak in these languages even though they were not their native tongues and they had never learned them and never before spoken in them.

There is no reason to believe that the gift of tongues mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12-14 is any different from that mentioned in the book of Acts. In both places the tongues involved speaking in earthly languages that one had never learned.

The same Greek word “glossa” is used for both. This word refers to the tongue itself (Mk. 7:33) or to a language spoken by the tongue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, sometimes I have felt the Holy Spirit - although people here who are advising you not to depend on feelings alone are correct. We are all different people with different relationships and different approaches, so never weigh feelings alone on judging anything such as your strength of faith or standing in God's eyes.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You can, though we live with the Spirit, so this can be a hard question.

You can feel deep peace, like a timeless peace, as if everything else does not exist.

The Spirit feels a wide range of emotions which we can feel, but we are always on the clouds with the Spirit.

Upvote 0

JesusGroupie

Dec 1, 2017
Rochester
✟15,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have felt involuntary shaking in church especially after communion. However the most pronounced feeling I've had was 2 weeks ago, I started experiencing a vibration in my lower abdomen like electricity. It seemed to respond to my thoughts as in if it stopped, I would think "Lord are you there" and it would vibrate stronger. I received a very inviting floral and spice smell after I blew my nose another day. I've woken up almost every night for almost 2 years between 2-4 and read my Bible, terrible insomnia but not completely exhausted.
I also feel pregnant, bloated and even felt movement in my abdomen. I was frantically trying to figure out what it was because it was so unsettling yet amazing and I had terrible insomnia. I even went around my house rebuking any demons in Jesus Christ name and blew the heating element on the dryer and light bulb in the laundry room when I said His name. The strong vibrations have since dissipated quite a bit although I feel movement when in deep prayer. The Holy Spirit can be physically felt and I'm very humbled by the experience. I have read being pregnant in the spirit is a birthing of a ministry and is what I have been wanting to do for awhile. In His time...Peace

Upvote 0