Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that Malachi-style tithing is worthwhile* and a blessing, but it isn't a requirement for being saved.

*There are promises & consequences associated with it.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church teaches that all should give.

Some people only have money to give.

Others don't have money so they give other things; time, labor, blood, etc.

Most people fall somewhere in between so the Church teaches that giving should be switched up once in a while. If you mostly give non-monetarily, you should give monetarily for a while. Or vice versa.

Giving should not be a rote exercise. It should be a dynamic and living thing. The Lord loves a cheerful giver.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm mostly Catholic but I'm still unsure which church to support so I handle my own tithes and give money to the poor. But I do believe in tithing. As it is stated in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe that Malachi-style tithing is worthwhile* and a blessing, but it isn't a requirement for being saved.

*There are promises & consequences associated with it.
Will you tell us about Malachi or gives us a verse?
Nice to see you again:)

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The Catholic Church teaches that all should give.

Some people only have money to give.

Others don't have money so they give other things; time, labor, blood, etc.

Most people fall somewhere in between so the Church teaches that giving should be switched up once in a while. If you mostly give non-monetarily, you should give monetarily for a while. Or vice versa.

Giving should not be a rote exercise. It should be a dynamic and living thing. The Lord loves a cheerful giver.
Glad to see you posting again:)
I hope you can take some of the (tithing) word I used as non monetary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No voting option for me.

I tithe 10% of gross (not “less than”) and give offering over that.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please show where it is NT...

Although it's not directly stated as a 10% tithe we're supposed to sell all and follow after Jesus the Christ, Ananias and Sapphira were killed for withholding an amount as a lesson for us, which appears severe. But the Lord taught a much larger tithe than 10%:

Luke 18:22

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Now in that lesson we were instructed how that man could have treasure in heaven. But the Apostles had similar requirements for the raising of the church. At least that's how I currently understand the following passages:

Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11

Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No voting option for me.

I tithe 10% of gross (not “less than”) and give offering over that.
Sorry about that, the original one had that but I decided to drop it as I think most think in terms of net. I can try and add it but I think it is too late.
Blessings

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please show where it is NT...
It's absolutely there, but I'm not interested in debating the point with people whose sole interest in what I'm saying is to argue. Which happens, every. Single. Time.

I will always err on the side of generosity and I have yet to see anyone who opposes the tithe who is also exceedingly generous. In fact quite the opposite.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will you tell us about Malachi or gives us a verse?
"Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,”
Says the Lord of hosts,
“If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.

And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,
So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground,
Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field
,”
Says the Lord of hosts;..." Malachi 3:10-11 NKJV

His promise isn't so much that we will get richer, but He promises to bless our remaining 90%. And He wants us to seek that blessing from Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Although it's not directly stated as a 10% tithe we're supposed to sell all and follow after Jesus the Christ, Ananias and Sapphira were killed for withholding an amount as a lesson for us, which appears severe. But the Lord taught a much larger tithe than 10%:

Luke 18:22

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Now in that lesson we were instructed how that man could have treasure in heaven. But the Apostles had similar requirements for the raising of the church. At least that's how I currently understand the following passages:

Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11

It's still not a tithe as prescribed in the OT. Tithe is specifically 10%. No more and no less. Ananias and Sapphira weren't killed for withholding. They were killed for lying about what they gave.

Lying to the Holy Spirit
5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?”

She said, “Yes, for so much.”

9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

As for everyone selling all, that is simply not true. That was for that particular person.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
It's absolutely there, but I'm not interested in debating the point with people whose sole interest in what I'm saying is to argue. Which happens, every. Single. Time.

I will always err on the side of generosity and I have yet to see anyone who opposes the tithe who is also exceedingly generous. In fact quite the opposite.

That is your choice and I respect it.

I do not tithe or give currently as I do not have much to give as it is. I am having to file for bankruptcy it is that bad.

Maybe once that is done, I will start to give again, but it probably won't be near as much as you do.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's still not a tithe as prescribed in the OT. Tithe is specifically 10%. No more and no less. Ananias and Sapphira weren't killed for withholding. They were killed for lying about what they gave.

Lying to the Holy Spirit
5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

5 Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. 6 And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.

7 Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?”

She said, “Yes, for so much.”

9 Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.

As for everyone selling all, that is simply not true. That was for that particular person.

Let me change my post. Yes they were killed for lying to God, of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I understand you don't believe in OT tithe. But I tithed and felt really good about it. There is just something that makes me feel and act less selfish after I tithe to a church or give to the poor. It's really liberating for me :) I don't know if everyone experiences that of course.

That's good. I'm glad that it felt really good.

I didn't have that experience.

• Friendly
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0