How do strong Calvinists answer the problem of evil?

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everybody!

I am a moderate Calvinist (a la Norm Geisler) and answer the problem of evil in a way that was unsatisfactory to a strong Calvinist friend. When I asked him how he would answer it, he didn't have a good answer (his focus of study is not weighted in apologetic matters), but he disagreed with my answer. Without getting into a debate on human will/responsibility and God's sovereignty, I just want to know how strong Calvinists answer the question for my own edification. Could someone please share with me the strong Calvinist's position on the problem of evil?

Thanks for any help!

Blessings,
Dave

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
The world is in league with the devil, Satan, and will share the fallen angels state, that is the judgement of God, they will go to hell fire made for the devil and his angels.

God has no obligation to do the world any good, it is at enmity, a war with God. God's wrath is on all those who do not believe.

John 3
36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Now if it says God has wrath on them, then you know that wrath is going to be active in some fashion. It is not an empty promise of trouble or affliction to unbelievers. Whether the trouble comes from God or through the agency of Satan, God's wrath will happen.

1 Thess 1

3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other, 4 so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, 5 which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer; 6 since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you, 7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe,[a] because our testimony among you was believed.

And the sons of disobedience who are allied with Satan are children of wrath.
So you know evil things are going to happen.

Eph 2
2 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

Why God does do good generally is for the sake of the elect, recall Jesus saying He shortens the days for their sake. That is also working out in the elect's lives shown in Romans 8. It can be that one of God's purposes will result in a blessing for many people, even unsaved ones because of the good God does for His elect. Recall Joseph in Egypt, where God saved many people alive from a famine that God created for His purposes.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Evil exists because God purposed that it should for the glory of His name and the everlasting good of His people. You recall what He said to Pharaoh, for this purpose have I raised thee up, that my power might be known. Ex. 9:16, Rom. 9:17

Consider that if the Fall hadn't been appointed by God then there would be no need for the mercy of God in Christ. He has, in His infinite wisdom, wrapped up His glory in the salvation of chosen sinners. Ex. 33:18-19

The Scriptures clearly teach that the evil that man does is ordained and controlled by God for His good purpose and glory, Psa. 76:10

Moreover even a casual reading of Proverbs 16: 1,4 and 9 clearly sets before us the absolute sovereignty of God even in the evil that exists.

Evil isn't a problem to God it is as ordained as everything else that happens.

Now understanding this is one of the most comforting and peace giving aspects of faith in Christ. No matter how bad things look and seem to be it is all according to the purpose and glory of God and ultimately for my good. I can honestly rest undisturbed in the midst of all the turmoil and trouble that constantly comes. He makes a promise in Psa. 91 that no evil shall befall His chosen. Read the whole Psalm.

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0